Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox Not opening

Firefox Not opening

SightSeer

I am having a problem, when I try to launch Firefox it is not opening.
Upon checking task manager it is present under the processes list but is
not listed under applications that are running. Im running windows xp
and im not quite sure which version of Firefox Im running.

thanks

SS

B. Peg

> "SightSeer" wrote:
>I am having a problem, when I try to launch Firefox it is not opening. Upon
>checking task manager it is present under the processes list but is not
>listed under applications that are running. Im running windows xp and im
>not quite sure which version of Firefox Im running.

Don't worry. Many people have the same problem including myself.

I cannot understand why they haven't gotten this bug out yet. I can shut it
down in TaskManager and then it will launch again.

B~

mike555

=== it probably is an extension problem, try starting in Firefox safe
mode, if Firefox works (except for the extensions and/ or themes) then
it is an extension or theme............ go into them and disable all,
restart in reg. mode then enable them one or two at a time , restarting
each time, till the problem shows..............
or, just make a new profile and reinstall extensions and themes that
are made to work for your version =============

Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time SightSeer wrote:

>I am having a problem, when I try to launch Firefox it is not opening.
>Upon checking task manager it is present under the processes list but is
>not listed under applications that are running. Im running windows xp
>and im not quite sure which version of Firefox Im running.

In the last few days a few extensions updated, and the updates broke my
Firefox on two different machines. The offender was either "Focus Last
Selected Tabs", "Greasemonkey", or "GMail Delete Button". Do you use
any of these?

On one machine I hade to uninstall Firefox and completely delete all
Firefox folders before I could successfully re-install version 1.0.7.
On the other machine an upgrade to 1.5 took care of it.

**
Captain Infinity
...faster than the speed of dark

SightSeer

mike555 wrote:
> === it probably is an extension problem, try starting in Firefox safe
> mode, if Firefox works (except for the extensions and/ or themes) then
> it is an extension or theme............ go into them and disable all,
> restart in reg. mode then enable them one or two at a time , restarting
> each time, till the problem shows..............
> or, just make a new profile and reinstall extensions and themes that
> are made to work for your version =============

thanks for the replies, turns out it was downloadthem all (sp)when it
updated....all is working again after uninstalling it.

SS

Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time SightSeer wrote:

>thanks for the replies, turns out it was downloadthem all (sp)when it
>updated....all is working again after uninstalling it.

Yes, that was one I updated as well, and had problems later. But I
couldn't even open in Safe mode, and so had to chump the whole friggin'
thing.

**
Captain Infinity
...faster than the speed of dark

Hawkeye

>In the last few days a few extensions updated, and the updates broke my
>Firefox on two different machines. The offender was either "Focus Last
>Selected Tabs", "Greasemonkey", or "GMail Delete Button". Do you use
>any of these?

With 1.0.7 I used FLST, Tabbrowser preferences, and Session Saver,
among others. Tab Prefs seemed to have an issue with 1.5 so I tried
something else, Tab Mix Plus. Turns out this extension combines the
functions of the three aforementioned extensions, in a faster and more
compact package.

I would also recommend Mr. Tech Local Install. Makes extension
installation and management effortless.

Jim

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:46:09 -0500, SightSeer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am having a problem, when I try to launch Firefox it is not opening.
>Upon checking task manager it is present under the processes list but is
>not listed under applications that are running. Im running windows xp
>and im not quite sure which version of Firefox Im running.
>
>thanks
>
>SS

Had this problem intermittently with versions up to 1.06. Often
enough to be a nuiscane. Wasn't running any extensions. Safe mode
revealed no solutions. Went back to Mozilla...no problems with it.
Jim

anandbdu anandbdu is offline
Junior Member

Dear friends, I also had the problem with firefox which was not opening even the firefox.exe is running. I tried the following steps and my problem got solved...

1. Go to Task manager and end process "firefox.exe"
2. Go to programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> open in safe mode..

Now it will ask for some check list..

3. In the check list select for defaults in almost all.....
4. click make the changes permanent and restart...

The problem will be solved......

Regards

B. Anand
IT Person
Bharathidasan University, Trichy, India.