Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > john kerry photo op ,remove utility pole, photoshop ?

john kerry photo op ,remove utility pole, photoshop ?

Gisle Hannemyr

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (REED BOXIN) writes:
> i am told that they are going to (and did) take down this pole
> because it will be right in the middle of where mr kerry will be
> speaking . they (don't know if they are kerrys people, local
> politicians etc?) want a nice clean photograph .
>
> i just found it all very interesting that they would remove a pole
> instead of editing it out in photoshop, it would take me a long time
> to do that, im a beginner but im sure some pro could do that alot
> faster?

Removing physical objects and other scene changing edits is not
considered ethical in news photography. Most newspapers and picture
agencies has strict guidelines on what is and what is not permitted in
post-processing.

Here is a pointer to Associated Press' Policy on editing:

http://www.ap.org/ohio/photo_lies/5/ethics_policy.html

> http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/remove_pole/

Nice pole.

Jeremy Nixon

REED BOXIN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i just found it all very interesting that they would remove a pole instead of
> editing it out in photoshop, it would take me a long time to do that ,im a
> beginner but im sure some pro could do that alot faster ?.

You don't edit the content of journalistic photos.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

Jeremy Nixon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You don't edit the content of journalistic photos.

Photo-journalist apologists are quick to tell us that PhotoSlop is
forbidden in their hallowed realm -- incredible, but true: people get
in trouble with essentially the _levels_ control(*) -- but this is
just a distraction for the credulous. The plain truth is that news
photos (like news articles) are heavily edited for content, all the
time. Selection (be it at the photographer's end or the editors end)
and presentation is by far more important than whether or not someone
dogdes out a utility pole in an image.

(*) http://www.zonezero.com/editorial/oc...3/october.html

Jeremy Nixon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You don't edit the content of journalistic photos.

> Photo-journalist apologists are quick to tell us that PhotoSlop is
> forbidden in their hallowed realm -- incredible, but true: people get
> in trouble with essentially the _levels_ control(*) -- but this is
> just a distraction for the credulous. The plain truth is that news
> photos (like news articles) are heavily edited for content, all the
> time. Selection (be it at the photographer's end or the editors end)
> and presentation is by far more important than whether or not someone
> dogdes out a utility pole in an image.
>
> (*) http://www.zonezero.com/editorial/oc...3/october.html

It's definitely not a well-defined line, and people are still getting a
handle on it. To me, removing an object from a photo and making it appear
as if the object were not there is well over the line.

In the pictures on the page you cite, I have no problem with the "alterations"
done to the second or third images; I can't see anything beyond color and
tonal corrections that are not in any way misleading, and are adjustments I
make to almost every photo I take -- and, with digital, who is to say at what
point in the process the colors are "correct"? After all, different choices
of film could just as easily produce the differences in those pictures. My
RAW files rarely look "correct", and in fact could be misleading if published
as-is, because they may be intentionally "wrong" in order to capture visual
information I intend to correct later.

The first one I think is in the gray area; legitimate arguments could be made
on both sides of that, especially since the same thing could have been done in
a darkroom by any first-year photo student. Had the background merely been
darkened in order to divert attention away from it I would probably put it in
the first category, though I probably wouldn't do it if shooting journalism.

Removing a utility pole and filling in the background? That's way beyond
these examples, in my opinion. Sure, the photographer is "editing" what he
shows, starting with his choice of what to show -- but, in the end, a photo
(in a journalistic sense) is meant to represent what was actually in the
frame, and if we start editing content, even in ways we see as harmless,
the credibility of photography is damaged.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)

REED BOXIN

>Nice pole.

THANKS !

thanks for the replys, you learn something new every day as the saying goes .

here is a link to some of the pictures i was able to take at the campaign stop
..

http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/kerry_edwards_campa/

not looking to stir up any political debate just trying to show some of the
shots i was able to take i was right in front of the stage .
gene

http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/kerry_edwards_campa/