Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 picture dust marks?

Reply
Thread Tools

D70 picture dust marks?

 
 
misifus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2004
ArtKramr wrote:

>>Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
>>From: "John S" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>>Date: 7/27/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
>>Message-id: <XixNc.4385$(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>>
>>"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

>>
>>interchange it
>>
>>>allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

>>
>>selling
>>
>>>all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
>>>F/2.8 (s)

>>
>>Hm. That's kinda the point of a SLR (swapping lenses so you have the right
>>one for the shot(s))
>>
>>just don't do it in a dust storm
>>point the camera down
>>power it off and *wait* a few seconds for the ccd to discharge its static
>>charge
>>get new lens ready (cap off)
>>swap lenses
>>put cap on swapped out lens
>>
>>total time exposed, maybe 2 seconds.
>>

>
>
> Get a zoom that covers the range you need.
>
> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
>

And who makes a 17-400 that anyone can afford?

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert
(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.ralphandsue.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ArtKramr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2004
>Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
>From: misifus (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 7/27/2004 7:20 PM Pacific Standard Time


>It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER interchange
>it
>> allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

>selling
>> all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the 180mm
>> F/2.8 (s)

>
>Isn't this a draconian solution to a simple problem. Cleaning
>the filter/CCD is part of using a DSLR.
>
> -Raf



Occam's Razor. Less is more. Simpler is better.


Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
greg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
> >From: misifus (E-Mail Removed)
> >Date: 7/27/2004 7:20 PM Pacific Standard Time

>
> >It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

interchange
> >it
> >> allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am

> >selling
> >> all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the

180mm
> >> F/2.8 (s)

> >
> >Isn't this a draconian solution to a simple problem. Cleaning
> >the filter/CCD is part of using a DSLR.
> >
> > -Raf

>
>
> Occam's Razor. Less is more. Simpler is better.



Huh? Getting rid of all your dSLR lenses but one simply to avoid an
occasional dust spot (that can be removed)?

Sorry, I can't buy that. I have 5 lenses (from a 180 fisheye and a 50mm
f/1.8 to an 80-200mm f/2.8 to a 400mm), and you'll never convince me that
having one all-purpose lens could do all that those lenses could.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Admiral Crunch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
In article <lq4Qc.8103$gE.6365@pd7tw3no>, "greg" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Huh? Getting rid of all your dSLR lenses but one simply to avoid an
> occasional dust spot (that can be removed)?
>
> Sorry, I can't buy that. I have 5 lenses (from a 180 fisheye and a
> 50mm f/1.8 to an 80-200mm f/2.8 to a 400mm), and you'll never
> convince me that having one all-purpose lens could do all that those
> lenses could.


You haven't seen my 50-400/f1.8-2.8 lens. It's a Sigma--the best in the
world. Every pro uses one of these.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Spadaro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2004
Art is a well known idiot but he does have a point. Unfortunately he is not
smart enough to follow it to the logical conclusion. The simplest and best
solution to dust (in digital and film photography) is to throw away the
camera. There will never again be the slightest problem with dust spots.
Art claims that he was once a photo magazine writer - Now you can see why
I don't recommend photo magazines. If you waste your time on them your
intelligence might plummet.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
A sample chapter from my novel "Haight-Ashbury" is at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/writ/hait/hatitl.html
"greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:lq4Qc.8103$gE.6365@pd7tw3no...
> "ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >Subject: Re: D70 picture dust marks?
> > >From: misifus (E-Mail Removed)
> > >Date: 7/27/2004 7:20 PM Pacific Standard Time

> >
> > >It makes a cetrain amount of sense to use a zoom lens and NEVER

> interchange
> > >it
> > >> allowing dust to enter the camera. I ordered my D70 with zoom and am
> > >selling
> > >> all my Nikor fixed focal length lenses on e-bay. Well I may keep the

> 180mm
> > >> F/2.8 (s)
> > >
> > >Isn't this a draconian solution to a simple problem. Cleaning
> > >the filter/CCD is part of using a DSLR.
> > >
> > > -Raf

> >
> >
> > Occam's Razor. Less is more. Simpler is better.

>
>
> Huh? Getting rid of all your dSLR lenses but one simply to avoid an
> occasional dust spot (that can be removed)?
>
> Sorry, I can't buy that. I have 5 lenses (from a 180 fisheye and a 50mm
> f/1.8 to an 80-200mm f/2.8 to a 400mm), and you'll never convince me that
> having one all-purpose lens could do all that those lenses could.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dust on Nikon D70 CCD ? pascal Digital Photography 3 03-01-2005 05:08 AM
Nikon D70 picture review Digital Photography 13 02-05-2005 02:41 AM
Solution to dust causing spots in Nikon D70 ? Dan DeConinck of PixelSmart Digital Photography 3 11-09-2004 08:57 PM
Nikon D70 / Tahiti / filters / Picture sizes? Paul Digital Photography 10 05-13-2004 06:47 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: DUST TO DUST (POR LA LIBRE), HANGIN' WITH THE HOMEBOYS, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 02-26-2004 10:04 AM



Advertisments