Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Time lapse options with Nikon 4300

Time lapse options with Nikon 4300

Jacobe Hazzard

I have a nikon 4300 and I'm trying to do some time lapse photography with
it.

I've bought the MC-EU1 remote cord, but I'm really disappointed in the
limited functionality of this highly expensive accessory (>$200 CDN). The
cord won't allow me to set an interval of less than two minutes, and won't
allow for more sophisticated on/off delayed scheduling. It's frustrating
that I want to do something that seems like it should be so simple, but
apparently can't be done with this camera.

I'm looking for a way to control the camera through the data port, using
my own electronics. If anyone has any info on the communication protocol
this camera uses, or schematics for the remote cord, or software that can
control the shutter, or a pointer towards relevant info, I would be highly
appreciative. I'm looking to build my own black box to interface to the
camera, or possibly use the USB cord and control the camera with a
computer. I understand that nikon is probably fairly protective of this
information (so they can continue to unload their overpriced remote cords)
but how hard can it be to control the zoom and the shutter?

Thanks for any info at all. If you want my email address please ask for it
in the group.

Adam

Jungle Man

I have the same remote and the same issues with it. My solution is
much more simple than unraveling Nikons electronics.

The remote cord has a convenient input point for custom time lapse
operations. It should be a simple matter to wire a relay or other type
of remote control switch in parallel with the existing shutter release
button. You can then control that switch with anything from your PC
to a cheap digital timer. If you've got all the right tools, you can
install a small receptacle so you can plug your remote-remote into
your remote.

Disclaimer: Modifying your Nikon remote will void the warranty and
could make your hair fall out, may contribute to global warming, etc.
etc....

Arby

"Jacobe Hazzard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a nikon 4300 and I'm trying to do some time lapse photography with
>it.
>
>I've bought the MC-EU1 remote cord, but I'm really disappointed in the
>limited functionality of this highly expensive accessory (>$200 CDN). The
>cord won't allow me to set an interval of less than two minutes, and won't
>allow for more sophisticated on/off delayed scheduling. It's frustrating
>that I want to do something that seems like it should be so simple, but
>apparently can't be done with this camera.
>
>I'm looking for a way to control the camera through the data port, using
>my own electronics. If anyone has any info on the communication protocol
>this camera uses, or schematics for the remote cord, or software that can
>control the shutter, or a pointer towards relevant info, I would be highly
>appreciative. I'm looking to build my own black box to interface to the
>camera, or possibly use the USB cord and control the camera with a
>computer. I understand that nikon is probably fairly protective of this
>information (so they can continue to unload their overpriced remote cords)
>but how hard can it be to control the zoom and the shutter?
>
>Thanks for any info at all. If you want my email address please ask for it
>in the group.
>
>Adam

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jungle Man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have the same remote and the same issues with it. My solution is
>much more simple than unraveling Nikons electronics.
>
>The remote cord has a convenient input point for custom time lapse
>operations. It should be a simple matter to wire a relay or other type
>of remote control switch in parallel with the existing shutter release
>button. You can then control that switch with anything from your PC
>to a cheap digital timer. If you've got all the right tools, you can
>install a small receptacle so you can plug your remote-remote into
>your remote.

I have a CP5000 with the same remote cord as I was interested in the
same - long exposure & times exposures...

But what really irritates me is that next to the battery compartment
there is a little slide-off panel with 4 or 5 little gold contacts
underneath. I belive these are used by the external battery pack to
contol zoom and shutter which would make it easy to add a simple switch
mechanism to the camera if you knew what the contacts are...

However, no-one I've spoken to seens to know what they are, then theres
the problem of getting a mechanical fit to it, etc.

Hmph!

Gordon

Jacobe Hazzard

Jungle Man wrote:
> The remote cord has a convenient input point for custom time lapse
> operations. It should be a simple matter to wire a relay or other type
> of remote control switch in parallel with the existing shutter release
> button. You can then control that switch with anything from your PC
> to a cheap digital timer. If you've got all the right tools, you can
> install a small receptacle so you can plug your remote-remote into
> your remote.

This is certainly a possibility, and not something I am incapable of
doing. Still, it would mean that I'm out the full cost of the remote and I
still have to build my own, which doesn't seem right. Money is definitely
an issue, I have already built my own AC adapter for the camera because
nikons was prohibitively expensive, and the remote cost many times more.
Also there are the warranty issues and given the possibility that the
remote might be damaged, I'm not sure I like the idea, I was planning on
returning the remote.

I'm just hoping it doesn't come to me building a small robot to press the
shutter, haha.

Arty Phacting

I heard it happened automatically after the "shoot" button was pressed

Arty

ps - no need for all that hi-falooting stuff

"Jacobe Hazzard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UC3Nc.298906$(E-Mail Removed). cable.rogers.com...
> I have a nikon 4300 and I'm trying to do some time lapse photography with
> it.
>
> I've bought the MC-EU1 remote cord, but I'm really disappointed in the
> limited functionality of this highly expensive accessory (>$200 CDN). The
> cord won't allow me to set an interval of less than two minutes, and won't
> allow for more sophisticated on/off delayed scheduling. It's frustrating
> that I want to do something that seems like it should be so simple, but
> apparently can't be done with this camera.
>
> I'm looking for a way to control the camera through the data port, using
> my own electronics. If anyone has any info on the communication protocol
> this camera uses, or schematics for the remote cord, or software that can
> control the shutter, or a pointer towards relevant info, I would be highly
> appreciative. I'm looking to build my own black box to interface to the
> camera, or possibly use the USB cord and control the camera with a
> computer. I understand that nikon is probably fairly protective of this
> information (so they can continue to unload their overpriced remote cords)
> but how hard can it be to control the zoom and the shutter?
>
> Thanks for any info at all. If you want my email address please ask for it
> in the group.
>
> Adam

Michael

Hi,

Maybe someone has the digisnap 5000 and would be so kind to open it
and post photos of the "guts" of this device? There are several of us
out there who could easily rebuild such a device, but we need a
starting point somehow.

Using those additional contacts at the bottom of the camera (I guess
they are intended for an optional battery holder) like the digisnap
5000 does could be a very good and cheap option for a self made
shutter release device/switch.

Unfortunately, the digisnap 5000 is not for sale anymore at
www.harbortronics.com.

cu,
Michael