Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > independant access point

independant access point

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgQnV4dG9u?=

i have a d-link starter pack. it contains a wireless broadband router and an
adaptor.

does the router need to be connected to a computer or can it stand
independantly with just an rj45(telephone line) and power lead connected to
it. i will obviously be putting the adaptor into my desktop so it can access
the internet through the router.

please help, i'm going to buy the starter pack tomorrow so i need to know if
it will work before hand.

thanks

chris

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You need a Modem too (unless your Router is a Modem/Router combo).
Typically a Broadband Internet Connection and Peer to peer Network should
look like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
It can work as a stand alone Wireless only, but it is not advisable.
See here, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#onewire
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Christopher Buxton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have a d-link starter pack. it contains a wireless broadband router and
>an
> adaptor.
>
> does the router need to be connected to a computer or can it stand
> independantly with just an rj45(telephone line) and power lead connected
> it. i will obviously be putting the adaptor into my desktop so it can
> access
> the internet through the router.
>
> please help, i'm going to buy the starter pack tomorrow so i need to know
> if
> it will work before hand.
>
> thanks
>
> chris

Lem

Christopher Buxton wrote:

> i have a d-link starter pack. it contains a wireless broadband router and an
> adaptor.
>
> does the router need to be connected to a computer or can it stand
> independantly with just an rj45(telephone line) and power lead connected to
> it. i will obviously be putting the adaptor into my desktop so it can access
> the internet through the router.
>
> please help, i'm going to buy the starter pack tomorrow so i need to know if
> it will work before hand.
>
> thanks
>
> chris

To add a small point to Jack's comments: most (all?) wireless routers recommend
that for initial setup/configuration they be connected via an ethernet cable to
one of your computers. After you have the router configured the way you want
it, you can disconnect the network cable connection between the router and
computer (so that, for example, the router can be physically remote from any of
your computers).