Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > unstable wireless connection

unstable wireless connection

Mike Roberts

I recently purchaced a Linksys WUSB45gs network adapter. i am recieving
a signal from a hotspot across the street, however my local area
connection keeps going back and forth between connected, and "network
cable unplugged".
when connected it says that it is at 11.0 Mbps. a few questions:
1. is this a decent speed for browsing the web at?
2. why doe the connection keep stopping and starting?
any help would be graetly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

A silly question.... when you work over wireless, is your LAN card connected
to something?

--PA

"Mike Roberts" wrote:
> I recently purchaced a Linksys WUSB45gs network adapter. i am recieving
> a signal from a hotspot across the street, however my local area
> connection keeps going back and forth between connected, and "network
> cable unplugged".
> when connected it says that it is at 11.0 Mbps. a few questions:
> 1. is this a decent speed for browsing the web at?
> 2. why doe the connection keep stopping and starting?
> any help would be graetly appreciated.

Mike Roberts

LAN card? not quite sure what you mean by that. it is a usb network
adapter, and it is connected via USB.

Pavel A. wrote:
> A silly question.... when you work over wireless, is your LAN card connected
> to something?
>
> --PA
>
> "Mike Roberts" wrote:
>
>>I recently purchaced a Linksys WUSB45gs network adapter. i am recieving
>>a signal from a hotspot across the street, however my local area
>>connection keeps going back and forth between connected, and "network
>>cable unplugged".
>>when connected it says that it is at 11.0 Mbps. a few questions:
>>1. is this a decent speed for browsing the web at?
>>2. why doe the connection keep stopping and starting?
>>any help would be graetly appreciated.

DanR

"network cable unplugged" is an error message normally received when a WIRED
network card is looking for a network connection and none is present. Does your
computer have a wired NIC installed? If you're not sure look at the back of your
computer for a CAT5 connection. (looks like normal phone plug but wider) If you
do have one try disabling it from device manager and see if you still have
problems with your wi-fi connection.

Mike Roberts wrote:
> LAN card? not quite sure what you mean by that. it is a usb network
> adapter, and it is connected via USB.
>
> Pavel A. wrote:
>> A silly question.... when you work over wireless, is your LAN card connected
>> to something?
>>
>> --PA
>>
>> "Mike Roberts" wrote:
>>
>>> I recently purchaced a Linksys WUSB45gs network adapter. i am recieving
>>> a signal from a hotspot across the street, however my local area
>>> connection keeps going back and forth between connected, and "network
>>> cable unplugged".
>>> when connected it says that it is at 11.0 Mbps. a few questions:
>>> 1. is this a decent speed for browsing the web at?
>>> 2. why doe the connection keep stopping and starting?
>>> any help would be graetly appreciated.

Mike Roberts

yes i have both a pci nic and a usb. i have disabled the pci nic and am
using the usb to try and recieve a signal from a hot spot across the
street. i can connect but often the connection goes dead and then
instantly re-connects. would i be better off getting a pci wireless nic
with an external antenna or some other type of device such as an access
point or a device that i could setup to be a repeater or bridge? what
type of device is best at picking up a signal from far away? what i
would like to eventually do is also set up a small home network so i
would like to have a wireless router to put my lan behind for security,
as i am connected to the hot spot which is unsecure.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 8-Dec-2005, Mike Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> what i
> would like to eventually do is also set up a small home network so i
> would like to have a wireless router to put my lan behind for security,
> as i am connected to the hot spot which is unsecure.

Signal strength/dropouts and security are two separate issues.
A wired RJ45 LAN, however you implement it and try to secure
it, will still be going over the open insecure link, thus all your
logins and passwords will be visible in plain text.
Banking may be a bit more secure because it is encrypted,
but even encrypted data can be cracked, particularly if you
use a poor password.
At least the sniffer will soon know who you are and who you
bank with.
With insecure links use it for general surfing, P2P downloads,
internet radio, etc. Stick with dialup for banking, on-line
shopping and email.
Then you won't suddenly find your email POP3 passwords
have been changed to lock you out.

DanR

About your off / on connections... It could be that you are on the fringe of the
reception area due to the AP being across the street. When you are connected...
can you see the Internet? If so you may want to pursue optimizing the signal by
using a directional antenna. Your USB device may not allow for an external
antenna. If you had a PCI wi-fi card you would be able to connect an external
antenna via a fairly short cable. That would definitely give you a better
signal. But... you could go through all this effort and expense and still have
an intermittent signal.
11Mb is plenty fast enough for Internet browsing.
If you are connecting to an unsecured wireless network your Internet use will
remain unsecured no matter what equipment you install in your home. The signal
through the air from / to the AP is not encrypted.
Also if you are using this wireless network without permission you could be
discovered at any time and booted off. And like ato_zee said... all your traffic
can be sniffed. Meaning someone with free software and a little bit of knowledge
can see all your traffic.