Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wired network using ICS works perfectly, wireless does not

Wired network using ICS works perfectly, wireless does not

Rich

I have a NetGear WGT624v2 wireless router with 4-port switch.

My desktop PC is running XP Pro and has a DIAL-UP shared internet
connection as well as shared file folders and shared hardwired
printers. The ICS is configured to allow other users to control
(connect and disconnect) the dial-up connection, and the dial-up
connection allows all other users to connect to the ISP using the
username and password for the ISP.

I have a HP internal wireless laptop PC running XP Home.

I have NO BROADBAND internet service. Nothing is connected to the
internet broadband connector of the router.

I have configured the router to IP 192.168.0.2 with DHCP disabled.

The DESKTOP shared ICS is the DHCP server and it uses IP 192.168.0.1.

The desktop PC with the ICS is hardwired to the router on port 1.

If I hardwire the laptop to port 2 on the router, I can share files,
printers, and the dial-up internet connection. I can both connect and
disconnect the ICS from the laptop. EVERYTHING WORKS like it should.

HOWEVER, if I disconnect the laptop from the router port and connect
wirelessly, I can share both files and printers over the wireless
connection.

But I have connection and disconnection errors with the ICS
wirelessly. The shared dial-up internet connection will connect ONCE
but not allow me to disconnect it. When I try to disconnect it from
the laptop I get an error message:

"It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is
currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."

I have to disconnect the ICS at the desktop. Then I cannot RECONNECT
from the laptop until I log off the laptop and then log back on. When
the ICS is connected, I have the double-terminal icon in the system
tray on both the desktop and the laptop.

Disbling all firewalls does not help.

Under Network Conections on the laptop the Internet Gateway entry
disappears when I have connection problems. It re-appears after I log
off and then back on.

I posted this question a few weeks ago but did not receive any
answers. I've been reading Young's website and looking at answers
that seem to be for similiar problems.

I have not been able to make any progress. It appears that the entire
problem revolves around the wireless connection, but I can't find the
solution.

Please help me.

TIA, Rich

=?Utf-8?B?TmlsbA==?=

"Rich" wrote:

> I have a NetGear WGT624v2 wireless router with 4-port switch.
>
> My desktop PC is running XP Pro and has a DIAL-UP shared internet
> connection as well as shared file folders and shared hardwired
> printers. The ICS is configured to allow other users to control
> (connect and disconnect) the dial-up connection, and the dial-up
> connection allows all other users to connect to the ISP using the
> username and password for the ISP.
>
> I have a HP internal wireless laptop PC running XP Home.
>
> I have NO BROADBAND internet service. Nothing is connected to the
> internet broadband connector of the router.
>
> I have configured the router to IP 192.168.0.2 with DHCP disabled.
>
> The DESKTOP shared ICS is the DHCP server and it uses IP 192.168.0.1.
>
> The desktop PC with the ICS is hardwired to the router on port 1.
>
> If I hardwire the laptop to port 2 on the router, I can share files,
> printers, and the dial-up internet connection. I can both connect and
> disconnect the ICS from the laptop. EVERYTHING WORKS like it should.
>
> HOWEVER, if I disconnect the laptop from the router port and connect
> wirelessly, I can share both files and printers over the wireless
> connection.
>
> But I have connection and disconnection errors with the ICS
> wirelessly. The shared dial-up internet connection will connect ONCE
> but not allow me to disconnect it. When I try to disconnect it from
> the laptop I get an error message:
>
> "It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is
> currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."
>
> I have to disconnect the ICS at the desktop. Then I cannot RECONNECT
> from the laptop until I log off the laptop and then log back on. When
> the ICS is connected, I have the double-terminal icon in the system
> tray on both the desktop and the laptop.
>
> Disbling all firewalls does not help.
>
> Under Network Conections on the laptop the Internet Gateway entry
> disappears when I have connection problems. It re-appears after I log
> off and then back on.
>
> I posted this question a few weeks ago but did not receive any
> answers. I've been reading Young's website and looking at answers
> that seem to be for similiar problems.
>
> I have not been able to make any progress. It appears that the entire
> problem revolves around the wireless connection, but I can't find the
> solution.
>
> Please help me.
>
> TIA, Rich

Try disabling the wired NIC before enabling the wireless. That may fix the
problem.

--
Nill

Rich

"Nill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rich" wrote:
>
>> I have a NetGear WGT624v2 wireless router with 4-port switch.
>>
>> My desktop PC is running XP Pro and has a DIAL-UP shared internet
>> connection as well as shared file folders and shared hardwired
>> printers. The ICS is configured to allow other users to control
>> (connect and disconnect) the dial-up connection, and the dial-up
>> connection allows all other users to connect to the ISP using the
>> username and password for the ISP.
>>
>> I have a HP internal wireless laptop PC running XP Home.
>>
>> I have NO BROADBAND internet service. Nothing is connected to the
>> internet broadband connector of the router.
>>
>> I have configured the router to IP 192.168.0.2 with DHCP disabled.
>>
>> The DESKTOP shared ICS is the DHCP server and it uses IP 192.168.0.1.
>>
>> The desktop PC with the ICS is hardwired to the router on port 1.
>>
>> If I hardwire the laptop to port 2 on the router, I can share files,
>> printers, and the dial-up internet connection. I can both connect and
>> disconnect the ICS from the laptop. EVERYTHING WORKS like it should.
>>
>> HOWEVER, if I disconnect the laptop from the router port and connect
>> wirelessly, I can share both files and printers over the wireless
>> connection.
>>
>> But I have connection and disconnection errors with the ICS
>> wirelessly. The shared dial-up internet connection will connect ONCE
>> but not allow me to disconnect it. When I try to disconnect it from
>> the laptop I get an error message:
>>
>> "It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is
>> currently busy with a connect or disconnect operation."
>>
>> I have to disconnect the ICS at the desktop. Then I cannot RECONNECT
>> from the laptop until I log off the laptop and then log back on. When
>> the ICS is connected, I have the double-terminal icon in the system
>> tray on both the desktop and the laptop.
>>
>> Disbling all firewalls does not help.
>>
>> Under Network Conections on the laptop the Internet Gateway entry
>> disappears when I have connection problems. It re-appears after I log
>> off and then back on.
>>
>> I posted this question a few weeks ago but did not receive any
>> answers. I've been reading Young's website and looking at answers
>> that seem to be for similiar problems.
>>
>> I have not been able to make any progress. It appears that the entire
>> problem revolves around the wireless connection, but I can't find the
>> solution.
>>
>> Please help me.
>>
>> TIA, Rich
>>

>Try disabling the wired NIC before enabling the wireless. That may fix the
>problem.

Still no-go. I see the Internet Gateway on my wireless laptop, but
when I try to connect I get a "Connection Failed" message.

Are there some other settings somewhere that are easy to overlook?