Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: scanning black and white negs

Re: scanning black and white negs

Georges Preddivous

"mark kinder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cd8e4u$mhk$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> can anyone give any tips or recommed a website/book with advice on scanning
> black and white negs. I'm using a minolta scan dual III on a range of fp4,
> hp5 etc but am invariably getting poor results (eg poor tonal range, image
> looks like a photocopy) on negs that I can get a reasonable wet print from.
> I've tried scanning in colour and converting, changing contrast, exposure
> etc, but am still a long way from getting a reasonable scan in most cases.
>
> thanks in advance
> mark

Salutations Mark.

The digital era is here, and Sigma is taking the lead. Sigma digital
SLR cameras use the Foveon sensor, which is the only image sensor that
records colours in 3 layers like film. The Foveon sensor is also the
only sensor that can capture a true black and white image like B&W
film. Lose the dinosaur film gear and join this century......buy a
Sigma SD10 and some Sigma lenses and you will never need to scan
again.

Toralf Lund

Georges Preddivous wrote:
> "mark kinder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cd8e4u$mhk$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>

>>can anyone give any tips or recommed a website/book with advice on scanning
>>black and white negs. I'm using a minolta scan dual III on a range of fp4,
>>hp5 etc but am invariably getting poor results (eg poor tonal range, image
>>looks like a photocopy) on negs that I can get a reasonable wet print from.
>>I've tried scanning in colour and converting, changing contrast, exposure
>>etc, but am still a long way from getting a reasonable scan in most cases.
>>
>>thanks in advance
>>mark

> Salutations Mark.
>
> The digital era is here, and Sigma is taking the lead. Sigma digital
> SLR cameras use the Foveon sensor, which is the only image sensor that
> records colours in 3 layers like film. The Foveon sensor is also the
> only sensor that can capture a true black and white image like B&W
> film.

Hmmm. Not strictly speaking true. The Foevon will as far as I know
*still* decompose the beam into red, green and blue channels, which have
to be re-composed/"averaged out" for B&W data. That's not quite the same
thing as using a B&W sensor - you'll probably looe something on the way,
although perhaps not as much as with other types of RGB sensors, where
there is all sorts of interpolation that you have to try to cancel out
the effect of as well...

The fact of the matter is, CCDs are originally black&white, or
grayscale, if you like, so it's in a sense a shame that nobody offers a
camera with a sensor that without all the trickerly used to produce
colour. Actually, what I'm dreaming of is a digital camera with
replacable sensors - so you could have one for colour, one for black and
white, stick in a lower resolution one to get higher sensitivity,
upgrade when something new comes along... Would be a bit like the
vapourware digital film, I guess, only I don't really want something
that will convert a film camera into digital, but rather more
flexibility for cameras originally designed as digital.

> Lose the dinosaur film gear and join this century......buy a
> Sigma SD10 and some Sigma lenses and you will never need to scan
> again.

But this was perhas just as off-topic as the original response, which I
meant to criticise. I think we should try to answer the question asked,
or not answer at all... Also, save us from (non-)arguments like the ones
just above. Personally I'll bye a digital camera as and when truely
makes life easier and/or is more cost effective, compared to a film one.
I won't do it because "this is the 21st century" or simply "because it's
digital"...

As for the original question, if at all possible, try a different
scanner and see if the results are better. Also, and maybe someone else
can tell us more about this, try to find out if there is a film scanner
that scans in *true* black&white, as opposed to scanning RGB and
converting to black&white.

Tom Ellliott

Or, you can still be a dinosaur like me, make the perfect print and then
scan that. Yes it is work around, but at least you have the silver based BW
neg and the print, as an archive. One of the drawbacks I can see is that the
digital technology changes from every 90 days(shelf life of new stuff) to
three years. Who now still have 5 1/2 floppies or even a drive to read
them - I do.
My BW go back to 1958! May of 1989 is when I did my first digital retouch
for a client on a 4MB 386 machine. The now common 3.5 disks were JUST
entering the marketplace.
Yours,
Tom
"Georges Preddivous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "mark kinder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<cd8e4u$mhk$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > can anyone give any tips or recommed a website/book with advice on

scanning
> > black and white negs. I'm using a minolta scan dual III on a range of

fp4,
> > hp5 etc but am invariably getting poor results (eg poor tonal range,

image
> > looks like a photocopy) on negs that I can get a reasonable wet print

from.
> > I've tried scanning in colour and converting, changing contrast,

exposure
> > etc, but am still a long way from getting a reasonable scan in most

cases.

> > thanks in advance
> > mark

> Salutations Mark.
>
> The digital era is here, and Sigma is taking the lead. Sigma digital
> SLR cameras use the Foveon sensor, which is the only image sensor that
> records colours in 3 layers like film. The Foveon sensor is also the
> only sensor that can capture a true black and white image like B&W
> film. Lose the dinosaur film gear and join this century......buy a
> Sigma SD10 and some Sigma lenses and you will never need to scan
> again.

Joseph Meehan

Georges Preddivous wrote:

> The digital era is here, and Sigma is taking the lead. Sigma digital
> SLR cameras use the Foveon sensor, which is the only image sensor that
> records colours in 3 layers like film. The Foveon sensor is also the
> only sensor that can capture a true black and white image like B&W
> film. Lose the dinosaur film gear and join this century......buy a
> Sigma SD10 and some Sigma lenses and you will never need to scan
> again.

This message brought to you by Georges Preddivous, Sales rep for Sigma
aka Junk.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

J. A. Mc.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:40:51 -0400, "Tom Ellliott" <(E-Mail Removed)>
found these unused words floating about:

>Or, you can still be a dinosaur like me, make the perfect print and then
>scan that. Yes it is work around, but at least you have the silver based BW
>neg and the print, as an archive. One of the drawbacks I can see is that the
>digital technology changes from every 90 days(shelf life of new stuff) to
>three years. Who now still have 5 1/2 floppies or even a drive to read
>them - I do.
>Yours,
>Tom

Consider yourself unique - AFAIK no one else ever had them ...! <G>

That gaffe aside, ever use hard sectored 5 1/4" floppies?

Dennis Bradley

"J. A. Mc." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:40:51 -0400, "Tom Ellliott" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> found these unused words floating about:
>
> >Or, you can still be a dinosaur like me, make the perfect print and then
> >scan that. Yes it is work around, but at least you have the silver based

BW
> >neg and the print, as an archive. One of the drawbacks I can see is that

the
> >digital technology changes from every 90 days(shelf life of new stuff) to
> >three years. Who now still have 5 1/2 floppies or even a drive to read
> >them - I do.
> >Yours,
> >Tom

> Consider yourself unique - AFAIK no one else ever had them ...! <G>
>
> That gaffe aside, ever use hard sectored 5 1/4" floppies?

Still have one ...
www.ekuk.fsnet.co.uk/floppy.jpg
This is the original copy of Turbo Basic I bought back in 1989. Although
I no longer have equipment that can read the original, I transferred it to
3.5 Diskette before disposing of the 5.25 drive. The old 5.25 original is
kept as proof of licence ownership.

Now, I wonder......will it fit in the CD-ROM drive ?

Another question....can anyone remember using 8.5 inch floppies
Dennis

Edge

WILL YOU STOP FEEDING THE ****ING TROLL .. OR AT LEAST CULL THE
MULTITUDE OF NEWSGROUPS?

Hecate

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:43:08 +0100, "Dennis Bradley"
<dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Another question....can anyone remember using 8.5 inch floppies
>Dennis

Sonny, I can remember using punch cards

--

Hecate
veni, vidi, reliqui

JJ

Hecate wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:43:08 +0100, "Dennis Bradley"
> <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Another question....can anyone remember using 8.5 inch floppies
> >Dennis

> Sonny, I can remember using punch cards

Little boy, I still have a paper tape of a program
I wrote

Geoff

Gone are the days when I had to program by pushing jumpers into plug boards!
You know you are old when you find computers you used to work on in the
museum.