Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Canon S1 IS firmware update

Re: Canon S1 IS firmware update

Georges Preddivous

T Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
>
> Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
> Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
> AF Mode.
>
> Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
> daytime synchronized shooting.
>
> Etc Etc

There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
silver S1 **** brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

nesredep egrob

On 21 Jul 2004 02:55:17 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Georges Preddivous)
wrote:

>T Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
>>
>> Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
>> Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
>> AF Mode.
>>
>> Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
>> daytime synchronized shooting.
>>
>> Etc Etc

>There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
>There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
>monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
>which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
>writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
>cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
>silver S1 **** brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

I don't know what kind of idiot you are - but you sure get the cigar. The lens
is the same as the one used in the Olympus 2100 UZ - or maybe you did not know
that.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Dennis Bradley

"Georges Preddivous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> T Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
> >
> > Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
> > Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
> > AF Mode.
> >
> > Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
> > daytime synchronized shooting.
> >
> > Etc Etc

> There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
> There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
> monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
> which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
> writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
> cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
> silver S1 **** brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is talking about
!

Jack Mac

On 21 Jul 2004 02:55:17 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Georges Preddivous)
wrote:

>T Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
>>
>> Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
>> Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
>> AF Mode.
>>
>> Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
>> daytime synchronized shooting.
>>
>> Etc Etc

>There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
>There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
>monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
>which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
>writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
>cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
>silver S1 **** brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

OH NO.... another killfile for George!
Jack Mac

David J Taylor

Dennis Bradley wrote:
> "Georges Preddivous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

[]
> What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is
> talking about !

Best killfiled, I'm afraid!

Cross-posting removed.

Britney

1. Sigmas are great, but they are also US$2000.

2. Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
professional camera. Just ask....

"Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:cdlk1d$vik$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Georges Preddivous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > T Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > > PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
> > >
> > > Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
> > > Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
> > > AF Mode.
> > >
> > > Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
> > > daytime synchronized shooting.
> > >
> > > Etc Etc

> > There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
> > There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
> > monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
> > which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
> > writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
> > cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
> > silver S1 **** brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

> What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is talking

about
> !

Richard Cockburn

"Britney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cdlo6f$ld7$(E-Mail Removed):

> Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
> professional camera. Just ask....

Actually, the 300D is considered a consumer DSLR, and the 10D (an excellent
camera which I own) is considered a prosumer DSLR. The Canon pro DSLRs are
the 1D and the 1Ds.

Of course, the Sigma cameras are *ALL* crap.

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn

SleeperMan

Richard Cockburn typed:

> "Britney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:cdlo6f$ld7$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Canon 10Ds or 300Ds are way better value for money if you want a
>> professional camera. Just ask....
>>

> Actually, the 300D is considered a consumer DSLR, and the 10D (an
> excellent camera which I own) is considered a prosumer DSLR. The
> Canon pro DSLRs are the 1D and the 1Ds.
>
> Of course, the Sigma cameras are *ALL* crap.

^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

You got that right...

wire 54

"Jack Mac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 21 Jul 2004 02:55:17 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Georges

Preddivous)
> wrote:
>
> >T Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> >> PowerShot S1 IS Firmware Update
> >>
> >> Firmware specification changes (Version 1.0.1.0)
> >> Specification changes for the way images are displayed in Continuous
> >> AF Mode.
> >>
> >> Improvements for the overexposure phenomenon that occurred during
> >> daytime synchronized shooting.
> >>
> >> Etc Etc

> >There is no software in the world that can compensate for a bad lens.
> >There is no software that can extract more resolution from a poor
> >monochrome sensor. Canon digital cameras use old sensor technology
> >which records images in monochrome, and then guesses the colours when
> >writing the JPG. Only the Foveon sensor in the Sigma SD10 and SD9
> >cameras is capable of records 3 colour layers just like film. Lose the
> >silver S1 **** brick and treat yourself to a Sigma.

> OH NO.... another killfile for George!
> Jack Mac

Thought he had gone strangely quiet. He has missed out the fact that this
amazing sensor actually
has four layers according to most reviews ....the fourth being a layer of
dust !!!!

Hans-Georg Michna

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:28:09 +0100, "Dennis Bradley"
<dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>What a load of codswallop ! This guy does not know what he is talking about
>!

At least he has a point when he first mentions the lens problem
before babbling sensor nonsense. The Canon Powershot S1 IS lens
has conspicuous chromatic aberration at max zoom and open
aperture. The results are worse than those of a 1 Megapixel
camera.

So you have to make sure that max zoom is not too important for
you before you buy that camera.

Canon has always built cheap second class lenses for cheap
consumer products.

The 12x, 1 : 2.8 throughout Leica zoom lens of the Panasonic
Lumix DMC-FZx series sets the standard here.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.