Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Print quality - MINOLTA DIMAGE Z1

Print quality - MINOLTA DIMAGE Z1

Andy Hewitt

john h <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
> camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a good
> print at A4 size.

I find them acceptable myself. However, you do need to put them into
context. To get an equivelant zoom in SLR, you need a 500mm lens, which
you can get a decent one for the same price as the Z1.

It therefore follows that the quality of the Z1 lens is not going to be
that high, but IMHO it is very acceptable indeed for the price you pay
for the entire camera.

I printed images from my Olympus 1.3mp camera onto A4, and was always
very pleased with the results. The Z1 produces equally good images.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

CeeBee

"john h" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
> camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a
> good print at A4 size.

The Z1 is a 3.2 Megapixel camera with max 2048x1536. The reasonable max
print you'll get out of that is 13x18 at full rez, fine and no zoom. I
think you'll have to compromise if you want bigger prints, and seriously
compromise at A4..

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

Zebedee

"CeeBee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns952CE9FC7423Dceebeechesterstartco@195.121. 6.84...
> "john h" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>
> > Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
> > camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a
> > good print at A4 size.

> The Z1 is a 3.2 Megapixel camera with max 2048x1536. The reasonable max
> print you'll get out of that is 13x18 at full rez, fine and no zoom. I
> think you'll have to compromise if you want bigger prints, and seriously
> compromise at A4..

Rubbish! 3.2mp is great for A4 prints. For bigger, you do need more MP
though.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

john h

Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a good
print at A4 size.

john h

David J Taylor

CeeBee wrote:
[]
> The Z1 is a 3.2 Megapixel camera with max 2048x1536. The reasonable
> max print you'll get out of that is 13x18 at full rez, fine and no
> zoom. I think you'll have to compromise if you want bigger prints,
> and seriously compromise at A4..

I take it you mean 13 x 18 cm and not 13 x 18 inches?

David

Arte Phacting

Yeh - this is a very good point

Partly because I thought professional image processing (as opposed to
domestic/home based image processing) kit should be able to use the base
image and upsize

Is there a view on this or some facts available?

Some high street photographers can take a mangy mangled print, do a repair
job and provide an enlarged copy that looks pretty impressive. Can't they
do the same with digital images?

Artie

"john h" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sqgLc.239$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anybody got any experience of the quality of prints when the above
> camera is being used at 10x optical zoom i.e. would you still get a good
> print at A4 size.
>
> john h

CeeBee

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-
part.uk> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> I take it you mean 13 x 18 cm and not 13 x 18 inches?

Yes. Sorry.

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

CeeBee

"Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> Rubbish! 3.2mp is great for A4 prints. For bigger, you do need more MP
> though.

No, 3,4 Mp is not _great_ for A4 prints, it's acceptable, but far from
optimal. Especially on the edges you can experience problems.

--

CeeBee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> No, 3,4 Mp

No, indeed... I meant 3.2 Mp of course.

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

CeeBee

CeeB
ee
<cee