Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo nightmare, please save my life!!

Photo nightmare, please save my life!!

D O'Reilly

i have bought a canon G5 & a canon 420ex speedlite flash, i will be
taking the photos at a family wedding, as i do not have a lot of time
to get to know the camera i was wondering if there are any G5 users
out there who would be able to recommend a list of settings on the
camera and flash to get the best pictures on the day with the least
amount of fuss,all the photos will be indoors in a hotel banqueting
suite, your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Mark M

"D O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> i have bought a canon G5 & a canon 420ex speedlite flash, i will be
> taking the photos at a family wedding, as i do not have a lot of time
> to get to know the camera i was wondering if there are any G5 users
> out there who would be able to recommend a list of settings on the
> camera and flash to get the best pictures on the day with the least
> amount of fuss,all the photos will be indoors in a hotel banqueting
> suite, your help would be very much appreciated.

I sincerely hope that you are not THE wedding photographer.
If so, then you have likely done a disservice to the wedding party, and even
moreso to yourself.
Nobody should try out a new system on a wedding...

That said...
Shoot in RAW mode (this will allow you to salvage poorly metered shots
later).
Expect to need flash in all but out-door, unless there are huge, bright
windows.
Most wedding lighting is not nearly bright enough...
Pick up a flash diffuser and shoot some candids with it a bit before hand.
Try some posed shots too.
It will REALLY improve skin tones/textures, and reduce harsh flash shadows.
Reach will be reduced, but for people pictures, it will make a huge
difference.
Lumiquest makes a nice one.
-If you can't find this item, get a 5x7 index card, and cut one end a bit so
that it is tapered. -Rubber band this end to your flash...point the flash
upward...and then bend the card slightly forward (about 45 degrees or less).
This will give you a similar effect.

For distant shots, drop the diffuser.

Make sure you are prepared to create custom white balance settings in the
light that you'll be shooting under (at the hotel). For close proximity
flash, just set white balance to flash mode.

Do not shoot in AV mode, as this will attempt to expose for ambient light
(even with flash). What will result will be shots that suffer from motion
blur since it will keep the shutter open as long as it thinks it needs to
(too long indoors).

If you shoot in TV mode, don't go below about 1/60th if you can help it.
The flash will attempt to provide whatever light you need automatically. If
you're shooting a dance, crank it up to 1/200th or so--which will give you
less power from the flash, but will nearly freeze motion (higher yet to
really freeze, but you'll lose light...try it).
You may want to set your camera manually to the flash synch speed
(1/125th?). This will assure you you're getting full power from flash, and
will avoid blur in most situations.

Learn to interpret your histogram display.
-Do NOT rely on your camera's screen to determine whether shots are blurry
while shooting...
....you will be disappointed.

For posed head shots, zoom about half-way out and back up until they fill
the frame the way you like. Avoid getting to close using wide angle (this
will give them big noses).
For group shots, back up as far as is practical so that you don't force
people on the sides of the group into the "fat zone" due to wide angle
distortion at the edges.
-Use as large an aperture as it allows to blur the background.
-Focus on the eyes, then re-frame.

If the hotel is nearby, take a spouse or friend there with you, and ask if
you can visit the room you'll be in. Then take some shots there-which will
be very revealing in terms of light and white balance needs.

nikki

Nice answer Mark M.
My suggestion is that DO' should hire you as The photographer.
nikki

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<CWZKc.9278$%p4.1710@okepread04>...
> [...]

> Learn to interpret your histogram display.
> -Do NOT rely on your camera's screen to determine whether shots are blurry
> while shooting...
> ...you will be disappointed.
>

> For posed head shots, zoom about half-way out and back up until they fill
> the frame the way you like. Avoid getting to close using wide angle (this
> will give them big noses).
> For group shots, back up as far as is practical so that you don't force
> people on the sides of the group into the "fat zone" due to wide angle
> distortion at the edges.
> -Use as large an aperture as it allows to blur the background.
> -Focus on the eyes, then re-frame.
>
> If the hotel is nearby, take a spouse or friend there with you, and ask if
> you can visit the room you'll be in. Then take some shots there-which will
> be very revealing in terms of light and white balance needs.

Bouser

You're a dead man. Taking a new camera and flash to shoot a wedding? This is
totally insane. The most important day of the bride's life, a can't miss and
can't reshoot event? Total chaos, at times, and rushed shots? And all this
with a new consumer-level digital? that you don't really know how to use?

Sell the camera and flash, and hire a pro. If you can't do that, just set it
on "A" (full auto) and fire away. SO NOT experiment with various settings,
since you'll likely screw up the most important shots of the day. But don't
plan on anything quick or fast. Those things don't focus very fast, and
there's always a shutter delay. Shoot at the highest resolution, make sure
you have plenty of memory (CF cards are not normally sold at weddings), and
make backups as soon as you can. My sympathies.

"D O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> i have bought a canon G5 & a canon 420ex speedlite flash, i will be
> taking the photos at a family wedding, as i do not have a lot of time
> to get to know the camera i was wondering if there are any G5 users
> out there who would be able to recommend a list of settings on the
> camera and flash to get the best pictures on the day with the least
> amount of fuss,all the photos will be indoors in a hotel banqueting
> suite, your help would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Jim

I hope the "family" is forgiving. I have a friend who shot a wedding with
35 mm. The photo processing service ruined all the negatives. He was sued
and had to pay for air fare to get the wedding party back together as well
as the tux rentals. To make matters worse they had another photographer do
the pictures at his expense. He lost his business. I wouldn't touch this
shoot with a ten foot pole.....

"D O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> i have bought a canon G5 & a canon 420ex speedlite flash, i will be
> taking the photos at a family wedding, as i do not have a lot of time
> to get to know the camera i was wondering if there are any G5 users
> out there who would be able to recommend a list of settings on the
> camera and flash to get the best pictures on the day with the least
> amount of fuss,all the photos will be indoors in a hotel banqueting
> suite, your help would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

D O'Reilly

Thanks for the tips.

Sabineellen

>I hope the "family" is forgiving. I have a friend who shot a wedding with
>35 mm. The photo processing service ruined all the negatives. He was sued
>and had to pay for air fare to get the wedding party back together as well
>as the tux rentals. To make matters worse they had another photographer do
>the pictures at his expense. He lost his business. I wouldn't touch this
>shoot with a ten foot pole.....

That's ridiculous! No sane judge should allow this. If it's for real, then the
judge was an idiot.

Weddings are not just about photos.

Jim

Well this happened in the US and as it goes here:

If things don't go my way, I'll find somebody to sue!!

"Sabineellen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >I hope the "family" is forgiving. I have a friend who shot a wedding

with
> >35 mm. The photo processing service ruined all the negatives. He was

sued
> >and had to pay for air fare to get the wedding party back together as

well
> >as the tux rentals. To make matters worse they had another photographer

do
> >the pictures at his expense. He lost his business. I wouldn't touch

this
> >shoot with a ten foot pole.....

> That's ridiculous! No sane judge should allow this. If it's for real, then

the
> judge was an idiot.
>
> Weddings are not just about photos.

Big Bill

On 20 Jul 2004 18:10:03 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Sabineellen) wrote:

>>I hope the "family" is forgiving. I have a friend who shot a wedding with
>>35 mm. The photo processing service ruined all the negatives. He was sued
>>and had to pay for air fare to get the wedding party back together as well
>>as the tux rentals. To make matters worse they had another photographer do
>>the pictures at his expense. He lost his business. I wouldn't touch this
>>shoot with a ten foot pole.....

>That's ridiculous! No sane judge should allow this. If it's for real, then the
>judge was an idiot.
>
>Weddings are not just about photos.

I find this hard to belive, too (not that I'm calling anyone a liar!).
I would think the legal remedy would be for the cost of the
photographer only.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Jeremy Nixon

Sabineellen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Weddings are not just about photos.

Clearly you've never worked a wedding.

Rule number one of photography: never, ever, for any reason, under any
circumstance, shoot a friend or family member's wedding.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)