Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon 8000 scanner, how do you clean the glass film holder?

Nikon 8000 scanner, how do you clean the glass film holder?

nobody nowhere

I get Newton rings (rarely), and also traces of what might be imperfect
glass cleaning. I wash the glass with an ordinary washing up liquid,
and dry it with a soft clean handkerchief, the best I can. Any better
ideas?
--

nobody

jaf

Hi,
I use ClearVue as a cleaner. Works very well and doesn't leave streaks.
Lint free cloth is a given.
Then use isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue.
Last, and most important, I use these micro-fiber cloths.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=A8funfzad1!1787581195?O=productlis t&A=details&Q=&sku=17507&is=REG

Absolutely the best improvement to photography since Ansel Adams.

--
John
johnf 202 at hotmail dot com

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:lE0QIyAD$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I get Newton rings (rarely), and also traces of what might be imperfect
| glass cleaning. I wash the glass with an ordinary washing up liquid,
| and dry it with a soft clean handkerchief, the best I can. Any better
| ideas?
| --
|
| nobody

Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:31:23 GMT, jaf hath writ:

Oh, that's sad....
Oh, top posting, too...

> I use ClearVue as a cleaner. Works very well and doesn't leave streaks.
> Lint free cloth is a given.
> Then use isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue.
> Last, and most important, I use these micro-fiber cloths.
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=3DA8funfzad1!1=
> 787581195?O=3Dproductlist&A=3Ddetails&Q=3D&sku=3D1 7507&is=3DREG
>
> Absolutely the best improvement to photography since Ansel Adams.
>
> "nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message =
>| I get Newton rings (rarely), and also traces of what might be imperfect
>| glass cleaning. I wash the glass with an ordinary washing up liquid,
>| and dry it with a soft clean handkerchief, the best I can.
>| Any better ideas?

<-- 2-3 KB of HTML snipped -->

I think it is a smart idea to clean the _underside_ of a scanner's glass
table from time-to-time. The out-gassing of the plastics in the scanner
lays down a thin film over time. Similar to what you see on the inside
of the windshield (windscreen) of a car -- tho', that is aggrevated by
the temps that the interior of a car is exposed to.

Now, whether or not your scanner's manufacturer has made it easy to
get to the underside of the glass is something else altogether.