Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > flash question, external flash power

flash question, external flash power

Destin_FL

OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much more
powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little built
in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.

Tim

Jim Townsend

Destin_FL wrote:

> OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
> external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much more
> powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little built
> in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
> sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.
>
> Tim

It could be an incompatibility between the flash and the camera.
Unfortunately there is no way of knowing unless you mention the model
of the camera and flash unit.

Mark B.

"Destin_FL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsiHKc.3556$Qv4.1628@lakeread03...
> OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
> external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much

more
> powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little

built
> in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external

flash
> sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.
>
> Tim

Which camera & which flash?

Michael Meissner

"Destin_FL" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> OK, obvious newbie question... I have a digital camera, and bought a $115
> external hot-shoe flash for it, thinking that I would end up with a much more
> powerful illumination in big rooms for example. But incredibly the little built
> in flash on the camera is MUCH brighter than that behemoth $115 external flash
> sitting atop the camera! I must be missing something.

I dunno, you might be not using the flash correctly, or you might have bought
an inferior flash. For straight shooting (no bounce), I have photographed
people 30-50 feet away with my two flashes (both a $35 auto flash which was
pretty much at its limit when the camera was at ISO 400, and my $200 TTL flash
with the camera at ISO 100). Note if you are bouncing the flash, you will get
a lot less range than if you shoot direct, since a lot of the light does not
illuminate the subject.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org