Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > 'VIEW' and 'GO' menus lock up Firfox for minutes

'VIEW' and 'GO' menus lock up Firfox for minutes

F*R*A*N*K_pa_nu_cc_i

I had this problem with the last Firefox I had installed. I just got
1.5, and in general I like it even better than 1.07 or whatever I had
before. Unfortunately, a problem persists. When I select the GO or
VIEW menu, most of the time Firefox locks up tight. Task Manager tells
me it's "Not Responding", but if I leave it alone it comes back in 2 to
4 minutes.

Also, in FF 1.5 the little orange block that tells me a RSS feed is
available doesn't appear as it used to in previous FF builds. I don't
recall ever installing an extension to enable that.

I'm running WINXP SP1, Firefox 1.5, and updated extensions Image Zoom,
Bugmenot, BBCode Extra, Tab Browser preferences, Tab FX, Colorful Tabs,
Fasterfox, Fireftp, Open Source in Tab, and Text Size Toolbar. Firewall
is Zone Alarm.

A shove in the right direction would be appreciated.

Leonidas Jones

F*R*A*N*K_pa_nu_cc_i wrote:

> I had this problem with the last Firefox I had installed. I just got
> 1.5, and in general I like it even better than 1.07 or whatever I had
> before. Unfortunately, a problem persists. When I select the GO or
> VIEW menu, most of the time Firefox locks up tight. Task Manager tells
> me it's "Not Responding", but if I leave it alone it comes back in 2 to
> 4 minutes.
>
> Also, in FF 1.5 the little orange block that tells me a RSS feed is
> available doesn't appear as it used to in previous FF builds. I don't
> recall ever installing an extension to enable that.
>
> I'm running WINXP SP1, Firefox 1.5, and updated extensions Image Zoom,
> Bugmenot, BBCode Extra, Tab Browser preferences, Tab FX, Colorful Tabs,
> Fasterfox, Fireftp, Open Source in Tab, and Text Size Toolbar. Firewall
> is Zone Alarm.
>
> A shove in the right direction would be appreciated.

I'm not noticing a problem with Go and View. Do you have your profile
stored in the default location?

The indicator for an available rss feed is not in the location bar,at
the right, just to the left side of the url dropdown arrow.

Lee

F*R*A*N*K_pa_nu_cc_i

Leonidas Jones wrote:
>> When I select the GO or
>> VIEW menu, most of the time Firefox locks up tight. Task Manager
>> tells me it's "Not Responding", but if I leave it alone it comes back
>> in 2 to 4 minutes.

> I'm not noticing a problem with Go and View. Do you have your profile
> stored in the default location?
>
> The indicator for an available rss feed is not in the location bar,at
> the right, just to the left side of the url dropdown arrow.

Thanks for the RSS hint. I was looking right at it and not seeing it.
It used to be in the lower right next to the ADBLOCK window.

As for GO and VIEW, I've messed with a few history settings,
specifically reducing the retained history from a year to 60 days, to
see if that helps. Shot in the dark... I don't know if it works yet
becasue the problem is intermittent.

My profile is stored in a custom location. Should that affect anything?

Leonidas Jones

F*R*A*N*K_pa_nu_cc_i wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>> When I select the GO or VIEW menu, most of the time Firefox locks up
>>> tight. Task Manager tells me it's "Not Responding", but if I leave
>>> it alone it comes back in 2 to 4 minutes.

>> I'm not noticing a problem with Go and View. Do you have your profile
>> stored in the default location?
>>
>> The indicator for an available rss feed is not in the location bar,at
>> the right, just to the left side of the url dropdown arrow.

> Thanks for the RSS hint. I was looking right at it and not seeing it.
> It used to be in the lower right next to the ADBLOCK window.
>
> As for GO and VIEW, I've messed with a few history settings,
> specifically reducing the retained history from a year to 60 days, to
> see if that helps. Shot in the dark... I don't know if it works yet
> becasue the problem is intermittent.
>
> My profile is stored in a custom location. Should that affect anything?

It might, if retieval of data from these files is being impaired. I
would most expect this if the profile is on a network drive. While its
handy, it can really slow response down. A slower usb drive might also
do it.

Lee