Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how to annotate photos?

how to annotate photos?

peter

Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information firmly
attached to the photo?

I use acdsee 3 and it allows adding a comment; however, the comment is
stored in an external file which can get separated from the photo. Jpeg file
has a field for storing exposure info; I don't want to overwrite that.

Is there a standard/proposed file format that not only stores a compressed
photo, but also an additional layer of vector/text based annotation plus
another layer of bitmap based annotation (the layers can be turned on/off
when viewing)? For example, if I have a group photo, I might want to label
each person's name so that 20 years from now, I'd still know who is who.

photoshop PSD format comes close in that it can contain vector or bitmap
layers. However, they are not compressed and takes a lot of space.

Arte Phacting

have u tried irfanview?

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LUeKc.4827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

firmly
> attached to the photo?
>
> I use acdsee 3 and it allows adding a comment; however, the comment is
> stored in an external file which can get separated from the photo. Jpeg

file
> has a field for storing exposure info; I don't want to overwrite that.
>
> Is there a standard/proposed file format that not only stores a compressed
> photo, but also an additional layer of vector/text based annotation plus
> another layer of bitmap based annotation (the layers can be turned on/off
> when viewing)? For example, if I have a group photo, I might want to

label
> each person's name so that 20 years from now, I'd still know who is who.
>
> photoshop PSD format comes close in that it can contain vector or bitmap
> layers. However, they are not compressed and takes a lot of space.

Robert Mooers

There is a "user comment" field in the EXIF metadata. I seem to remember PS7
would allow you to save that info inside of the jpg.

You might want to do a search on EXIF metadata editors. Alternatively you
could store the data in the copyright field.

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LUeKc.4827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

firmly
> attached to the photo?
>
> I use acdsee 3 and it allows adding a comment; however, the comment is
> stored in an external file which can get separated from the photo. Jpeg

file
> has a field for storing exposure info; I don't want to overwrite that.
>
> Is there a standard/proposed file format that not only stores a compressed
> photo, but also an additional layer of vector/text based annotation plus
> another layer of bitmap based annotation (the layers can be turned on/off
> when viewing)? For example, if I have a group photo, I might want to

label
> each person's name so that 20 years from now, I'd still know who is who.
>
> photoshop PSD format comes close in that it can contain vector or bitmap
> layers. However, they are not compressed and takes a lot of space.

schuetzen - RKBA!

peter wrote:

>Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information firmly
>attached to the photo?

how is EXIF attached?? however that is done is what needs to be further
developed. also, I would like to see Copyright info stored here also and then
locked with the photo. if you download the pix, you get the whole thing, if you
try to view it and cannot see the Copy and the EXIF, etc then you cannot view
the image. compressed as a smaller TIF !!

fwiw
--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

peter

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LUeKc.4827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

firmly
> attached to the photo?

by firmly attached, I mean when the file is moved or copied, the annotation
would come with it. This means the annotation needs to be stored in the same
file as the photo.

David Dyer-Bennet

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LUeKc.4827$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation
>> information firmly attached to the photo?

> by firmly attached, I mean when the file is moved or copied, the annotation
> would come with it. This means the annotation needs to be stored in the same
> file as the photo.

You're looking for IPTC information. Photoshop and IrfanView and
every other vaguely modern image program will let you put information
into them.

Grant Robertson

In article <LUeKc.4827$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information firmly
> attached to the photo?

Both EXIF and IPTD data is embedded within the image data file. Just like
an e-mail can contain header information and the body text, certain image
file formats can have all kinds of extra data embedded within them that
is not the picture data. There are lots of utilities to edit that data.
Most image database software will edit it as well. Google for 'EXIF
edit' and 'IPTD edit' or something like that.

Pepe

Hi,
Try this one: http://www.fotostation.com/
Very handy for what you need.
And also make web gallery for easy use.

Pepe

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:LUeKc.4827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

firmly
> attached to the photo?
>
> I use acdsee 3 and it allows adding a comment; however, the comment is
> stored in an external file which can get separated from the photo. Jpeg

file
> has a field for storing exposure info; I don't want to overwrite that.
>
> Is there a standard/proposed file format that not only stores a compressed
> photo, but also an additional layer of vector/text based annotation plus
> another layer of bitmap based annotation (the layers can be turned on/off
> when viewing)? For example, if I have a group photo, I might want to

label
> each person's name so that 20 years from now, I'd still know who is who.
>
> photoshop PSD format comes close in that it can contain vector or bitmap
> layers. However, they are not compressed and takes a lot of space.

Paul H.

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LUeKc.4827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

firmly
> attached to the photo?
>
> I use acdsee 3 and it allows adding a comment; however, the comment is
> stored in an external file which can get separated from the photo. Jpeg

file
> has a field for storing exposure info; I don't want to overwrite that.
>
> Is there a standard/proposed file format that not only stores a compressed
> photo, but also an additional layer of vector/text based annotation plus
> another layer of bitmap based annotation (the layers can be turned on/off
> when viewing)? For example, if I have a group photo, I might want to

label
> each person's name so that 20 years from now, I'd still know who is who.
>
> photoshop PSD format comes close in that it can contain vector or bitmap
> layers. However, they are not compressed and takes a lot of space.

Irfanview, the freeware image viewer, lets you embed "IPTC" data within the
file. Download and install the version with all plug-ins from
www.irfanview.com. You'll like it, I'm sure.

Possible caveat: I've heard a very, very few people complain on this group
about Irfanview not running properly on their particular systems. All I can
say is that I've installed Irfanview with home-built, OEM, and major-brand
(Dell and Gateway) systems running Win98, Win98SE, Win Me, and Windows XP
using both Athlon and Intel processors and I've never had a problem with the
program, nor have any of the other people to whom I've recommended it.
Pictures saved under Irfanview load seamlessly into every editor I've used,
including those from Adobe, Jasc, and Microsoft.

a.n.other

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Paul H. wrote:

>Irfanview, the freeware image viewer, lets you embed "IPTC" data within the
>file. Download and install the version with all plug-ins from
>www.irfanview.com. You'll like it, I'm sure.
>
>Possible caveat: I've heard a very, very few people complain on this group
>about Irfanview not running properly on their particular systems. All I can
>say is that I've installed Irfanview with home-built, OEM, and major-brand
>(Dell and Gateway) systems running Win98, Win98SE, Win Me, and Windows XP
>using both Athlon and Intel processors and I've never had a problem with the
>program, nor have any of the other people to whom I've recommended it.
>Pictures saved under Irfanview load seamlessly into every editor I've used,
>including those from Adobe, Jasc, and Microsoft.

I like irfanview as well. However, one thing I'm never sure about is if,
when doing this kind of thing and then saving the picture, you aren't in
any danger of running into problems due to recompression are you?

--
(E-Mail Removed)

annotate a traceback Robin Becker Python 1 10-29-2009 03:29 PM
Annotate a floor plan John Baima ASP .Net 5 01-24-2007 05:22 PM
wrap text with annotate otown Ruby 1 12-28-2006 10:32 PM
Back-Annotate Assignments ALuPin VHDL 1 10-20-2004 09:21 PM

Advertisments