Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Online Photo Printing Site?

Best Online Photo Printing Site?

Axinar

Well, having gotten a survey from our favorite friends in the
northwest, I thought it might be a good time to review a subject we
haven't visited intently in the last couple of years.

Namely -- what is the best online digital pic printing joint?

In the are STRICTLY of print quality, I'd still have to tip my hat to
Ezprints. I think pricewise they have become competitive with
Photoworks at this point, but they do lack a bit on their interface.
Plus I just had to chuck my 20 X 30 glossy of "Flag over Skyline" that
I got from Ezprints as I was fool enough to have them print it glossy
and put it in a plastic poster frame (why didn't ya'll warn me? My
matte 20 X 30 of the capitol is holding up fine in the same frame).

I have tried Ofoto, Shutterfly, and even Adoramma. All of them bite
the big one.

Has anyone tried the Wal-Mart online service? I was about to try an
order and could tell that their interface was just as bad as
Shutterfly, plus Bentonville's finest had the unmitigated gaul to try
to charge for server space.

Also, does anyone know of any decent mail-order shops that can make
decent negative scans? Photoworks is passable (they print from the
negs and then scan the prints ... maybe .5 megapixel -- great if you
have something completely casual but not so good if you want to do any
editing).

Thanks!

Ax

NoNameAtAll

One place I didn't see on there was Snapfish, which I hadn't even heard about
until just the other day when I received a promo in the mail. It came with an
offer for 15 free prints, so I figured what the heck. Their interface is very
easy. I'll post the final results after the prints arrive, which should be
soon.

Bob

I have tried fotki.com and walmart.com

foki.com is way better than walmart.com; walmart.com over exposed them or
something, but lots of detal was lost in whites, for example

If the photos I got printed at walmart are any indication of their quality
in general, I'd warn against them. Personally, I will not give them another
chance, the first results being so obviously worse than what I got from
fotki.

Jeremy Nixon

Axinar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Namely -- what is the best online digital pic printing joint?

I use Printroom.com. They're by far the best I've found; all of the others
give you totally unpredictable output, usually trying to "fix" things for
you. Printroom supports ICC profiles (unlike every other service I've ever
tried), and provides a profile for their process for soft proofing, and
(assuming a color-managed workflow) will print exactly what you send them
if you don't tell them otherwise.

Side by side with prints of the same pictures from the "big" services, they
immediately leap out as being much better.

Note that I'm not shopping on price; a cheap print that's no good isn't worth
anything.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Arthur Small

Look at http://bigphotohelp.com/

Gene Palmiter

My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
taxes involved.

"Axinar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Well, having gotten a survey from our favorite friends in the
> northwest, I thought it might be a good time to review a subject we
> haven't visited intently in the last couple of years.
>
> Namely -- what is the best online digital pic printing joint?
>
> In the are STRICTLY of print quality, I'd still have to tip my hat to
> Ezprints. I think pricewise they have become competitive with
> Photoworks at this point, but they do lack a bit on their interface.
> Plus I just had to chuck my 20 X 30 glossy of "Flag over Skyline" that
> I got from Ezprints as I was fool enough to have them print it glossy
> and put it in a plastic poster frame (why didn't ya'll warn me? My
> matte 20 X 30 of the capitol is holding up fine in the same frame).
>
> I have tried Ofoto, Shutterfly, and even Adoramma. All of them bite
> the big one.
>
> Has anyone tried the Wal-Mart online service? I was about to try an
> order and could tell that their interface was just as bad as
> Shutterfly, plus Bentonville's finest had the unmitigated gaul to try
> to charge for server space.
>
> Also, does anyone know of any decent mail-order shops that can make
> decent negative scans? Photoworks is passable (they print from the
> negs and then scan the prints ... maybe .5 megapixel -- great if you
> have something completely casual but not so good if you want to do any
> editing).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ax

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) (Axinar) writes:

> Well, having gotten a survey from our favorite friends in the
> northwest, I thought it might be a good time to review a subject we
> haven't visited intently in the last couple of years.
>
> Namely -- what is the best online digital pic printing joint?
>
> In the are STRICTLY of print quality, I'd still have to tip my hat to
> Ezprints. I think pricewise they have become competitive with
> Photoworks at this point, but they do lack a bit on their interface.
> Plus I just had to chuck my 20 X 30 glossy of "Flag over Skyline" that
> I got from Ezprints as I was fool enough to have them print it glossy
> and put it in a plastic poster frame (why didn't ya'll warn me? My
> matte 20 X 30 of the capitol is holding up fine in the same frame).
>
> I have tried Ofoto, Shutterfly, and even Adoramma. All of them bite
> the big one.

I've had great luck with shutterfly for regular prints, though I didn't like
the snapbook I recently ordered from them. When I had need of prints in a
hurry, I had the prints back in 4 days with 2nd day mail (order on Sunday
night, got the prints Thursday). Sorry shutterfly didn't work out for you. I
have used ezprints.com in the past, but their web site seems to be down about
1/2 the time I visit them. I like the consumer division of Millers (mpix.com)
also, though the interface is quirky and I have to run their app on Windows (I
usually use Linux) to upload files.

> Has anyone tried the Wal-Mart online service? I was about to try an
> order and could tell that their interface was just as bad as
> Shutterfly, plus Bentonville's finest had the unmitigated gaul to try
> to charge for server space.

I tend to dislike walmart.com since they only print on glossy paper. I much
prefer the luster/pearl finish that my local brick and mortar Walmart uses.

> Also, does anyone know of any decent mail-order shops that can make
> decent negative scans? Photoworks is passable (they print from the
> negs and then scan the prints ... maybe .5 megapixel -- great if you
> have something completely casual but not so good if you want to do any
> editing).

Mpix takes negatives I think, but I haven't used them.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Michael Meissner

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
> quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
> get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
> large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
> have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
> taxes involved.

I on the other hand hated the prints that I got back from dotphoto. Colors
were too reddish compared to what I get with the same print with other
printers.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Brad

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
meissners.org said...
> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
> > quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
> > get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
> > large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
> > have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
> > taxes involved.

> I on the other hand hated the prints that I got back from dotphoto. Colors
> were too reddish compared to what I get with the same print with other
> printers.

When did you try them? They changed printers about three or four months
ago.

Michael Meissner

Brad <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
> meissners.org said...
> > "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> > > My general photography site is www.dotphoto.com but, while their print
> > > quality is fine....I like them because my customers can order prints and I
> > > get some of the money. I don't know how they do with larger prints. The best
> > > large prints (posters) I have had made came from www.bignose.com but they
> > > have been taken over by someone else...someone in my state so there is now
> > > taxes involved.

> > I on the other hand hated the prints that I got back from dotphoto. Colors
> > were too reddish compared to what I get with the same print with other
> > printers.

> When did you try them? They changed printers about three or four months
> ago.

Longer than that, so maybe its time to give them another try, but their prices
aren't that great unless you commit yourself to their monthly plans, and it
looks like they only do up to 11x14 prints. I must admit to having a Fuji
process bias, the only place I have tried that uses Kodak paper/processing in
the last 30 years has been mpix.com.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)