Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connects to wrong wireless network

Connects to wrong wireless network

=?Utf-8?B?Um9yZ2U=?=

Hello-

My computer (running XP SP2) keeps connecting automatically to the wrong
Wireless Network. I'm in an apartment complex, and my neighbor has an
unsecured network (say "Neighbor"), and I have a secured network (say "Home").

I've disabled automatic connection to Neighbor -- it doesn't even show up in
the Preferred Networks box of the Wireless Networks dialog box. My computer,
however, automatically connects to Neighbor anyway. For some reason, it
thinks it is connecting to Home (the little yellow bubble in the taskbar says
it's connected to Home), but then when I double click on the icon, the Status
box says it is connected to Neighbor.

When I go to the "Choose a Wireless Network" box, both Home and Neighbor
show up (but it shows me as connected to Neighbor). When I try to Disconnect
from Neighbor, though, it doesn't allow me to (literally, nothing happens
when I click the Disconnect button). If I restart the computer, sometimes
it works correctly and connects to Home.

I've checked the channels, and Home is on channel 1, and Neighbor is on
channel 6, so that shouldn't be a problem.

How do I make it not connect to Neighbor automatically? I've already
removed it from the Preferred Network list, and set Home to be a different
channel.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This wouldn't be

Lem

Rorge wrote:
> Hello-
>
> My computer (running XP SP2) keeps connecting automatically to the wrong
> Wireless Network. I'm in an apartment complex, and my neighbor has an
> unsecured network (say "Neighbor"), and I have a secured network (say "Home").
>
> I've disabled automatic connection to Neighbor -- it doesn't even show up in
> the Preferred Networks box of the Wireless Networks dialog box. My computer,
> however, automatically connects to Neighbor anyway. For some reason, it
> thinks it is connecting to Home (the little yellow bubble in the taskbar says
> it's connected to Home), but then when I double click on the icon, the Status
> box says it is connected to Neighbor.
>
> When I go to the "Choose a Wireless Network" box, both Home and Neighbor
> show up (but it shows me as connected to Neighbor). When I try to Disconnect
> from Neighbor, though, it doesn't allow me to (literally, nothing happens
> when I click the Disconnect button). If I restart the computer, sometimes
> it works correctly and connects to Home.
>
> I've checked the channels, and Home is on channel 1, and Neighbor is on
> channel 6, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> How do I make it not connect to Neighbor automatically? I've already
> removed it from the Preferred Network list, and set Home to be a different
> channel.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> This wouldn't be

Do you perhaps have both Windows Wireless Zero Configuration and the
wireless configuration utility that is supplied by the mfr of your
computer's wireless interface running at the same time? What brand of
wireless NIC are you using? What icons show in the notification area
(next to the time)?

Ryan Younger

Please see the following article:

Wireless Connection Troubleshooting in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Available at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"Rorge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello-
>
> My computer (running XP SP2) keeps connecting automatically to the wrong
> Wireless Network. I'm in an apartment complex, and my neighbor has an
> unsecured network (say "Neighbor"), and I have a secured network (say
> "Home").
>
> I've disabled automatic connection to Neighbor -- it doesn't even show up
> in
> the Preferred Networks box of the Wireless Networks dialog box. My
> computer,
> however, automatically connects to Neighbor anyway. For some reason, it
> thinks it is connecting to Home (the little yellow bubble in the taskbar
> says
> it's connected to Home), but then when I double click on the icon, the
> Status
> box says it is connected to Neighbor.
>
> When I go to the "Choose a Wireless Network" box, both Home and Neighbor
> show up (but it shows me as connected to Neighbor). When I try to
> Disconnect
> from Neighbor, though, it doesn't allow me to (literally, nothing happens
> when I click the Disconnect button). If I restart the computer,
> sometimes
> it works correctly and connects to Home.
>
> I've checked the channels, and Home is on channel 1, and Neighbor is on
> channel 6, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> How do I make it not connect to Neighbor automatically? I've already
> removed it from the Preferred Network list, and set Home to be a different
> channel.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> This wouldn't be

roadhog007 roadhog007 is offline
Junior Member

I have the same problem as `lem`who posted 12.06.2005 quote "My computer (running XP SP2) keeps connecting automatically to the wrong
Wireless Network. I'm in an apartment complex, and my neighbor has an
unsecured network (say "Neighbor"), and I have a secured network (say "Home")."

i have zdwan running (icon at bottom ), as well as i presume windows zero configeration, and dont think or kow if i am usingxp service pack 2.

Every time i switch on i get a un-secured network, and am concerned about security. Please can you help me in resolving this problem so when i switch on i automatically connect to my belkin 54g router.

when i go into wireless network connections none of the networks are listed and i get a message basically telling me "windows cannot configure my wireless connection , i have enabledanother program to configure"

Thanks , one very frustrated computer novice.