Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > How to remove 1.5 and go back to 1.07?

How to remove 1.5 and go back to 1.07?

default

I wasn't happy with the loss of extensions in the new version and
could not get the nightly tester tools to load. Tried a clean install
only to get the same problems so I thought I'd roll back to 1.07.

Not happening. Worked but the same extensions were lost forever plus
some of the ones that were working in 1.5. Worked up until I tried to
up and I couldn't switch the themes back (can't even see the menus -
screen white with some menu items in black low res lettering on the
top)

What do I need to completely and utterly wipe out all instances of FF
so I can install 1.0.7 from scratch? Will the profiles saved in 1.5
work in 1.0.7?

Running windows ME and FF 1.5 is up and running minus the extensions
I use.

Hendrik Maryns

default schreef:
> I wasn't happy with the loss of extensions in the new version and
> could not get the nightly tester tools to load. Tried a clean install
> only to get the same problems so I thought I'd roll back to 1.07.
>
> Not happening. Worked but the same extensions were lost forever plus
> some of the ones that were working in 1.5. Worked up until I tried to
> up and I couldn't switch the themes back (can't even see the menus -
> screen white with some menu items in black low res lettering on the
> top)
>
> What do I need to completely and utterly wipe out all instances of FF
> so I can install 1.0.7 from scratch? Will the profiles saved in 1.5
> work in 1.0.7?
>
> Running windows ME and FF 1.5 is up and running minus the extensions
> I use.

I donīt know what went wrong with your installation, but I just
installed 1.5 and 13 of my 16 extensions got updated and work as before.
Among them Nightly Tester Tools! It helped by going to the
extensions window and clicking Search for updates.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns

==================
www.lieverleven.be
http://aouw.org

gwtc

default wrote:

> I wasn't happy with the loss of extensions in the new version and
> could not get the nightly tester tools to load. Tried a clean install
> only to get the same problems so I thought I'd roll back to 1.07.
>
> Not happening. Worked but the same extensions were lost forever plus
> some of the ones that were working in 1.5. Worked up until I tried to
> up and I couldn't switch the themes back (can't even see the menus -
> screen white with some menu items in black low res lettering on the
> top)
>
> What do I need to completely and utterly wipe out all instances of FF
> so I can install 1.0.7 from scratch? Will the profiles saved in 1.5
> work in 1.0.7?
>
> Running windows ME and FF 1.5 is up and running minus the extensions
> I use.

When you updated to 1.5, did you use the same profile as 1.0.7? If
so, then that is your problem. 1.5 is now in your 1.0.7 profile and
when you reverted back to 1.0.7, all it saw was 1.5 stuff. That is
what's causing the problems.

I hope I made sense there.

If you want to go back to 1.0.7, then you would have to create another
profile JUST for 1.0.7.

Click on Start, Run and enter exactly:

firefox.exe -p

This will bring up the profile manager, and you can start a new
profile just for 1.0.7. Only one problem with this, you will have to
reinstall all the extensions. Thats why I got into the habit of
saving my extensions to my hard-drive, just for problems like this.

default

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:27:01 -0800, gwtc
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When you updated to 1.5, did you use the same profile as 1.0.7? If
>so, then that is your problem. 1.5 is now in your 1.0.7 profile and
>when you reverted back to 1.0.7, all it saw was 1.5 stuff. That is
>what's causing the problems.
>
>I hope I made sense there.
>
>If you want to go back to 1.0.7, then you would have to create another
>profile JUST for 1.0.7.

Well that's something to try. I can delete the profiles and try a
reload. Wasn't my first choice at damage control . . .

Problem seems to be with the 1.5 profile in place, reverting back to
1.0.7 and it doesn't know how to assimilate the old profile and hangs.

Seems to be the programmers assumed that no one would want to switch
back. 1.5 is not ready for release in my opinion. Takes forever to
load too.

I understand the programmers work for the satisfaction of it and I am
grateful to have a better browser than (way better) IE or Opera. But
it would be nice if they covered all the bases before a new release.
Along those lines I see no improvement in 1.5 versus 1.0.7 - takes
longer to load, two extensions I rely on don't work.

Sounds like city hall's definition of "progress."

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This will bring up the profile manager, and you can start a new
>profile just for 1.0.7. Only one problem with this, you will have to
>reinstall all the extensions. Thats why I got into the habit of
>saving my extensions to my hard-drive, just for problems like this.

The extensions don't bother me, I usually download and save versus
just let it update. Password folder does bother me. Bookmarks are an
annoyance if they are gone.

One other thing the uninstall for FF 1.5 won't work now (from the
folder) It hangs and has to be offed with C/A/D and there is no
Mozilla FF in the Windows install/uninstall control panel.

default

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:04:46 +0100, Hendrik Maryns
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I donīt know what went wrong with your installation, but I just
>installed 1.5 and 13 of my 16 extensions got updated and work as before.
> Among them Nightly Tester Tools! It helped by going to the
>extensions window and clicking Search for updates.
>
>H.

I didn't have Nightly Tester Tools installed when I up(down) graded.
It just won't install NTT after 1.5. Without the extensions - FF is
almost useless to me so I really would like to get back to the earlier
version.

Three of my extensions didn't update. They said they were updated,
and would start when I restarted the browser - but they said that
AFTER I restarted the browser. They did update - when I told them to
uninstall those extensions . . . And every thing turned to feces when
I tried to use the updated microFF theme.

I've been using Mozilla for years with no problems. I like MOZ.

Using Opera and Netscape 4.7 now.

Hawkeye

> Bookmarks are an annoyance if they are gone.

No need to lose your bookmarks, just keep a copy of your bookmark.html
somewhere other than your profile directory. Copy it into new
profiles as you create them, making sure you copy when FF is NOT
running as it will copy over the bookmark file when you close if it is
running.

You might try the Mr. Tech's Local Install extension. Among a myriad
of other things, this extension will allow you to force FF to ignore
the maxversion flag when installing an extension, permitting 1.0.x
extensions to load into 1.5.
http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/

Sorry your experience with 1.5 was disappointing. I find that it does
load much faster than 1.0, renders pages faster, and has numerous
interesting features. Certainly a major improvement over 1.0.

default

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 17:12:27 -0500, Hawkeye <aaa1339atyahoodotcom>
wrote:

>Sorry your experience with 1.5 was disappointing. I find that it does
>load much faster than 1.0, renders pages faster, and has numerous
>interesting features. Certainly a major improvement over 1.0.

I'll try Mr. Tech's Local Install extension. that was sort of what I
was after with Nightly Tester Tools . . .

Seems there's a file in the individual extensions that tell them which
versions they are compatible with it is called "install.rdf" I can
"tweak" the version number but that doesn't fix anything.

I'm no programmer - good early BASIC and some PASCAL, but it isn't my
first love; just something that I had to do to achieve other (work
related) goals.

Leonidas Jones

default wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:04:46 +0100, Hendrik Maryns
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I donīt know what went wrong with your installation, but I just
>>installed 1.5 and 13 of my 16 extensions got updated and work as before.
>> Among them Nightly Tester Tools! It helped by going to the
>>extensions window and clicking Search for updates.
>>
>>H.

> I didn't have Nightly Tester Tools installed when I up(down) graded.
> It just won't install NTT after 1.5. Without the extensions - FF is
> almost useless to me so I really would like to get back to the earlier
> version.
>
> Three of my extensions didn't update. They said they were updated,
> and would start when I restarted the browser - but they said that
> AFTER I restarted the browser. They did update - when I told them to
> uninstall those extensions . . . And every thing turned to feces when
> I tried to use the updated microFF theme.
>
> I've been using Mozilla for years with no problems. I like MOZ.
>
> Using Opera and Netscape 4.7 now.

You are almost certainly trying to install an outdated version of NTT,
which, regrettably, is what is available at the addons site. Try
getting the newest version from the author's site:

http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave...d/nightly.html

If this version does not install for you, something is wrong with your
setup.

Lee

Hawkeye

>Seems there's a file in the individual extensions that tell them which
>versions they are compatible with it is called "install.rdf"

Right, that's where the maxversion flag is. Open the XPI file with
WinZip or similar and edit install.rdf. Maybe 3 or 4 of the
extensions I use were "pushed" from 1.0 to 1.5 in such a fashion and
functioned without a problem. The Local Install extension probably
tells the extension installer to ignore this flag.