Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Marketing strategies

Marketing strategies

Charles Schuler

> So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all
think
> will inspire digital camera sales?

Cheaper digital cameras?

Arte Phacting

Hi y'all

Nah then - marketing strategies.

In an earlier posting it seemed important to suggest (prompt?) that
retailers offer a hire before you buy option. It seems sensible in helping
a prosumer purchase kit they eventually are at ease with.

It also gives high street retailers a way to combat discount online outlets
and retain their own ciustomer base. Perhaps naively so?

Possibly avoiding "returns" within trial period too - or at least limiting
the numbers a bit and the subsequent hassle of having non-new newish goods
to sell.

So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all think
will inspire digital camera sales?

(I'll start the ball rolling in a mo')

Artie

chris French

In message <5ZiJc.195$(E-Mail Removed)>, Arte Phacting
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all think
>will inspire digital camera sales?

Seeing as IDC reckons that digicam sales will grow by 40% in 2004 why
would they need inspiring?
--
Chris French

Arte Phacting

i'll buy that for sure!

But first a rule: can we agree that whatever the comment made or however
outrageous the comment(s) appear to be that we do not pass judgement? Would
that be OK?

So if someone sez XYZ ought to reduce camera price by 60% = no negatiove
reponses allowed. One concession though - if an opinion of previous comment
is made its gorra be positive.

Is this OK with everyone? <yep?> good!

Artie

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all

> think
> > will inspire digital camera sales?

> Cheaper digital cameras?

Big Bill

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:10:10 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i'll buy that for sure!
>
>But first a rule: can we agree that whatever the comment made or however
>outrageous the comment(s) appear to be that we do not pass judgement? Would
>that be OK?
>
>So if someone sez XYZ ought to reduce camera price by 60% = no negatiove
>reponses allowed. One concession though - if an opinion of previous comment
>is made its gorra be positive.
>
>Is this OK with everyone? <yep?> good!
>
>Artie

No.
You're asking for prior censorship.
Not all ideas are worth of being immune from criticism.

Now, if you could somehow get everyone to agree to *only* post
reasonable, legitimate, well thought out comments, that would be
something!

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Big Bill

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:03:29 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi y'all
>
>Nah then - marketing strategies.
>
>In an earlier posting it seemed important to suggest (prompt?) that
>retailers offer a hire before you buy option. It seems sensible in helping
>a prosumer purchase kit they eventually are at ease with.
>
>It also gives high street retailers a way to combat discount online outlets
>and retain their own ciustomer base. Perhaps naively so?
>
>Possibly avoiding "returns" within trial period too - or at least limiting
>the numbers a bit and the subsequent hassle of having non-new newish goods
>to sell.
>
>So, the idea behind this tread is: what marketing strategies do y'all think
>will inspire digital camera sales?
>
>(I'll start the ball rolling in a mo')
>
>Artie

Most retailers already have an implied rental system in place, with
little to no charge...
You don't like it, they take it back.

As for marketing, well, yeah, I've often wonderd about some marketing
schemes.
Take the current commercials asking about prints from digital cameras;
"Where's the prints?"
It seems that fewer and fewer peolle are having prints made from
digital cameras. And for some good reasons; putting the images online
in email or on web pages allows the photographer to have much more
control over how the pics look, and to make sure they are 'passed
around' more than just to people the photographer actually meets or
specifically mails prints to.

As for digital cameras, I wasn't aware that there was a marketing
problem; growth has been good, and promises to only get better for the
foreseeable future. The market is far from saturated, and many of the
earlier adopters are in the market for upgrades.
When the market matures, there will be more need for such harder
marketing, ad there will also be much more data available on exactly
what the buyers want; this will shape future marketing.
See current marketing for automobiles for a comparison between an
emerging market (digital cameras) and a mature market (autos).

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Georgette Preddy

"Arte Phacting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<5ZiJc.195$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi y'all
>
> Nah then - marketing strategies.

The only really "unique" marketing strategy out right now there is
Sigma's. Being the world's largest lens company, they dump their
(superlative) pro DSLR body several $thousand below valued cost, with
the agreement that all the glass sales come back to them since it has
a proprietary lens mount.

Great deal for all involved:

- Customer gets a 10.3MP pro DLSR for about $650.
- Sigma gets many $thousands in lens sales over the life of the
camera.

Georgette Preddy

""Arte Phacting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<5ZiJc.195$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi y'all
>
> Nah then - marketing strategies.

The only really "unique" marketing strategy out right now there is
Sigma's. Being the world's largest lens company, they dump their
(superlative) pro DSLR body several $thousand below valued cost, with
the agreement that all the glass sales come back to them since it has
a proprietary lens mount.

Great deal for all involved:

- Customer gets a 10.3MP pro DLSR for about $650.
- Sigma gets many $thousands in lens sales over the life of the
camera.

Crownfield

Georgette Preddy wrote:

> "Arte Phacting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<5ZiJc.195$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Hi y'all
> >
> > Nah then - marketing strategies.

> The only really "unique" marketing strategy out right now there is
> Sigma's. Being the world's largest lens company, they dump their
> (superlative) pro DSLR body several $thousand below valued cost, with
> the agreement that all the glass sales come back to them since it has
> a proprietary lens mount.
>
> Great deal for all involved:
>
> - Customer gets a 10.3MP pro DLSR for about $650.

you meant 10.3 MS.

MP have to be spatially different in the image.

> - Sigma gets many $thousands in lens sales over the life of the
> camera.

George Preddy

Crownfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Georgette Preddy wrote:
> >
> > "Arte Phacting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<5ZiJc.195$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Hi y'all
> > >
> > > Nah then - marketing strategies.

> > The only really "unique" marketing strategy out right now there is
> > Sigma's. Being the world's largest lens company, they dump their
> > (superlative) pro DSLR body several $thousand below valued cost, with
> > the agreement that all the glass sales come back to them since it has
> > a proprietary lens mount.
> >
> > Great deal for all involved:
> >
> > - Customer gets a 10.3MP pro DLSR for about $650.

> you meant 10.3 MS.
>
> MP have to be spatially different in the image.

And full color to be considered a pixel.

Marketing Strategies for Giclees chasfs@yahoo.com Digital Photography 2 06-12-2005 02:43 AM
MultiStep form Strategies fragmonster ASP .Net 5 09-23-2004 07:22 AM
Webinar: WAN Optimization Strategies & Testimonials (August 26th) Bridget Willey @ Innovative Cisco 0 08-18-2004 03:32 PM
Test Harness Strategies fabbl VHDL 1 04-17-2004 03:39 PM
Re: Anyone else concerned about anti-competitive dumping strategies? Mark Jones DVD Video 5 09-02-2003 01:08 PM

Advertisments