Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need advice: 10x zoom or higher

Need advice: 10x zoom or higher

NoNameAtAll

I currently have an Oly C2100, which I'd like to replace for two reasons:
First, it's huge; and second, it's just 2.1 megapixels. However, I don't know
what a good replacement. An optical zoom of at least 10x is a must. There seem
to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

TRR

My 2 I just got an Olympus C755 from Costco on line with 4M and 10x
and have found it to have the same superior lens work I have always
liked about Olympus. Hard to beat until you spend some serious money.
Can't comment on image stabilization because I've never needed it.
So.....good luck....TRR

NoNameAtAll wrote:
> I currently have an Oly C2100, which I'd like to replace for two reasons:
> First, it's huge; and second, it's just 2.1 megapixels. However, I don't know
> what a good replacement. An optical zoom of at least 10x is a must. There seem
> to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
> recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
> some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

Hans-Georg Michna

On 14 Jul 2004 14:08:48 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ntiSpam
(NoNameAtAll) wrote:

>I currently have an Oly C2100, which I'd like to replace for two reasons:
>First, it's huge; and second, it's just 2.1 megapixels. However, I don't know
>what a good replacement. An optical zoom of at least 10x is a must. There seem
>to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
>recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
>some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

Just two points to consider in very short time.

1. An image stabilizer is something wonderful.

2. A 3 Megapixel camera with a 10x zoom can create roughly the
same magnification of a far away object as a 2 Megapixel camera
with a 12x zoom. (Do the calculations if you want this more
precisely.)

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

HRosita

Hi,

Panasonic has a Lumix 4 MP with 12x zoom and image stabilitation. I understand
that it also ahs a Leica lens that maintains a 2.8 apperture at all zooms.
A friend has it and has dome some very nice Bird photography.

Check out Steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com for reviews.
Rosita

Pete

On 14 Jul 2004 14:08:48 GMT, NoNameAtAll wrote:

> I currently have an Oly C2100, which I'd like to replace for two reasons:
> First, it's huge; and second, it's just 2.1 megapixels. However, I don't know
> what a good replacement. An optical zoom of at least 10x is a must. There seem
> to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
> recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
> some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

I highly recommend the Panasonic DMC FZ10, although it's a little larger
than others such as the Oly 7XX series.

You'll find my detailed comparison of the FZ10 and the Oly C720 here:

http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic.htm

HTH

Hans-Georg Michna

On 15 Jul 2004 00:11:07 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) wrote:

>Panasonic has a Lumix 4 MP with 12x zoom and image stabilitation. I understand
>that it also ahs a Leica lens that maintains a 2.8 apperture at all zooms.

Rosita,

correct, that's the Panasonix Lumix DMC-FZ10.

>Check out Steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com for reviews.

Good advice.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

nesredep egrob

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:25:51 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 15 Jul 2004 00:11:07 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) wrote:
>
>>Panasonic has a Lumix 4 MP with 12x zoom and image stabilitation. I understand
>>that it also ahs a Leica lens that maintains a 2.8 apperture at all zooms.

>Rosita,
>
>correct, that's the Panasonix Lumix DMC-FZ10.
>
>>Check out Steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com for reviews.

>Good advice.
>
>Hans-Georg

Make sure that the IS is optical and not digital. I can get brilliant pictures
with both the Olympus 2100 and the Canon S1 but the Sony video has electronic
stabilisation and I feel I have to re-do my holidays as film of proboscis
monkeys were hopeless and then I was using a monopod to assist. Some of the
shots were at 10 x zoom but others I must admit were 20X. Neither one nor the
other were any good.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

David J Taylor

"nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Make sure that the IS is optical and not digital.

Borge,

The two choices right now are both mechanical - moving lens elements
(Canon/Panasonic) and moving the sensor (Konica/Minolta). I don't believe
that anyone is offering "digital".

Cheers,
David

Gordon

Take a look at the Canon S1 IS.

Gordon
On 14 Jul 2004 14:08:48 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ntiSpam (NoNameAtAll)
wrote:

>I currently have an Oly C2100, which I'd like to replace for two reasons:
>First, it's huge; and second, it's just 2.1 megapixels. However, I don't know
>what a good replacement. An optical zoom of at least 10x is a must. There seem
>to be several new cameras on the market satisfying these criteria. Can someone
>recommend one? And how important is image stabilization? My C2100 has it, but
>some of the other 10x zoom cameras don't.

Eddy Vortex

Take a look at the new Panosonic FLZ20. It's the only thing that compares
with our UZI's at the moment.IMHO. Eddy
news:(E-Mail Removed)...