Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hoya warm polarizer filter

Hoya warm polarizer filter

Alan D

I am looking to get a polarzing filter for my Canon Rebel. Hoya has several
available including one that combines an 81A filter with the polarizer. Any
thoughts on using the warm version rather than just a polarzing filter for
outdoor shots in bright sunlight?

Thanks,
Alan D.

Roland Karlsson

"Alan D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hwAIc.154$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am looking to get a polarzing filter for my Canon Rebel. Hoya has
> several available including one that combines an 81A filter with the
> polarizer. Any thoughts on using the warm version rather than just a
> polarzing filter for outdoor shots in bright sunlight?

I would guess it does not matter. Color correction
filters are not all that effective when you have
white balance correction in your camera.

/Roland

Mark M

"Alan D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hwAIc.154$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking to get a polarzing filter for my Canon Rebel. Hoya has

several
> available including one that combines an 81A filter with the polarizer.

Any
> thoughts on using the warm version rather than just a polarzing filter for
> outdoor shots in bright sunlight?

Are you talking about a film camera (Rebel)?
If it's digital, you will still benefit from a polarizing filter because of
it's ability to darken skies and to accentuate or repress reflection on
glass or water.
For warming, though, you should simply use the appropriate white balance.

BTW--

Polarizers and warming filters are NOT even remotely similar in purpose or
function.
Polarizers limit light transmission based upon the angle the light is
hitting the filter (it rotates, so that you can adjust this for
strongest/desired effect).

Warming filters are simply to compensate for overly cool light in
scenes--like a cloudy day, or in shade.

Paul H.

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Alan D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hwAIc.154$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am looking to get a polarzing filter for my Canon Rebel. Hoya has

> several
> > available including one that combines an 81A filter with the polarizer.

> Any
> > thoughts on using the warm version rather than just a polarzing filter

for
> > outdoor shots in bright sunlight?

> Are you talking about a film camera (Rebel)?
> If it's digital, you will still benefit from a polarizing filter because

of
> it's ability to darken skies and to accentuate or repress reflection on
> glass or water.
> For warming, though, you should simply use the appropriate white balance.

Hmm.... The physical filter will actually keep certain wavelengths from
entering the camera, allowing bluish haze-attenuation to occur, thus making
distant landscapes less obscure; changing the white balance after the shot
won't achieve the same effect.

Alan D

It is a digital rebel.

Alan D.