Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What minimum standards should exist for a film scanner??

What minimum standards should exist for a film scanner??

schuetzen - RKBA!

Does anyone here use a film scanner/copier/digitizer??

As is the case with nearly all of you here on the group, you probably have
slides which your parents left you which were taken in the 1930s or '40s and on
into the 1960s. I have boxes of slides and many many processing envelopes of
Kodacolor or B&W negative strips.

I want to digitize these but have no idea what parameters I should be looking
for when shopping for the ideal machine. Could we get these stated along with
perhaps, a suggestion or three of products on the market which meet those
standards??

such as, 48 bit vs 64 bit, 32,000 pixel, negative frames, etc...

ok, ditto the prints which we could scan in and then manipulate with software to
remove bad color, scratches, etc....

thanks
chas
--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

M Barnes

schuetzen wrote:

> Does anyone here use a film scanner/copier/digitizer??

I have used a Nikon Coolscan III for about four years.

> As is the case with nearly all of you here on the group,
> you probably have slides which your parents left you ....

Yep.

> I want to digitize these but have no idea what parameters
> I should be looking for when shopping for the ideal machine.

Couldn't help you with the technical stuff, but I can say
that the Nikon works like a champ -- no problems ever.

The software that came with it is wonderful -- great
scratch removal and other config options -- fully
customizable. And they continue to update the drivers
and software as well. I'm quite happy. If I had it to
do over, I would have gone top of the line instead of
saving a little money. That would have given me greater
color depth. But it's hardly noticeable to me. Minor quibble.

schuetzen - RKBA!

M Barnes wrote:

>The software that came with it is wonderful -- great
>scratch removal and other config options -- fully
>customizable. And they continue to update the drivers
>and software as well. I'm quite happy. If I had it to
>do over, I would have gone top of the line instead of
>saving a little money. That would have given me greater
>color depth. But it's hardly noticeable to me. Minor quibble.

what is "top of the line"?
thanks
--

schuetzen wrote:
> M Barnes wrote:

> > If I had it to do over, I would have gone top of the
> > line instead of saving a little money. That would have
> > given me greater color depth.

> what is "top of the line"?

Now? I don't know. But at the time, Nikon had another
version of the Coolscan with greater color depth that
cost more money. I saved some bucks and got the
second best. I think I paid $1200 and the best was
$1900. So the savings wasn't just lunch money.