Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: I just got my first medium format camera!

Re: I just got my first medium format camera!

J?rg Preddimann

Andrew McCall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<cbvlgs$7g0$1$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi Folks,
>
> After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
> format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
> Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
> close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens hood.
>
> I know people would probably have recommended a Rolleiflex such as a T,
> but to defend my choice, I didn't want to spend more than £100 and its
> very difficult to get a Rolleiflex for this price thats in a condition
> like the Yashicamat. If I really like medium format I will sell on the
> Yashicamat and get something like a Mamiya 645, and I probably won't
> loose much on the Yashicamat so long as I keep it in good condition.
> All together, the Yashicamat fits my needs perfectly.
>
> I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help from
> people in here.
>
> What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
> works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?
>
> I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
> exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?
>
> Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the camera?
>
> Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?
>
> I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
> need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?
>
> Thanks for the help in advance!
>
> Andrew McCall

I can understand your desire to have a better quality image than a
35mm negative/slide or most digital SLRs will provide, therefore you
are dabbling with medium format. You can get better results if you buy
a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
resolution to work with, but RAW files from this camera will print
amazing enlargements up to 30 by 40 inches that a 120/220
negative/slide would not be able to do without unacceptable grain.
When you are ready to *REALLY* move up, climb aboard the Sigma
express.

--

Jörg Preddimann

Devil's Avocado

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, J?rg
Preddimann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Andrew McCall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<cbvlgs$7g0$1$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
> > format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
> > Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
> > close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens hood.
> >
> > I know people would probably have recommended a Rolleiflex such as a T,
> > but to defend my choice, I didn't want to spend more than £100 and its
> > very difficult to get a Rolleiflex for this price thats in a condition
> > like the Yashicamat. If I really like medium format I will sell on the
> > Yashicamat and get something like a Mamiya 645, and I probably won't
> > loose much on the Yashicamat so long as I keep it in good condition.
> > All together, the Yashicamat fits my needs perfectly.
> >
> > I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help from
> > people in here.
> >
> > What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
> > works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?
> >
> > I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120 is
> > exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?
> >
> > Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the camera?
> >
> > Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?
> >
> > I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
> > need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?
> >
> > Thanks for the help in advance!
> >
> > Andrew McCall

> I can understand your desire to have a better quality image than a
> 35mm negative/slide or most digital SLRs will provide, therefore you
> are dabbling with medium format. You can get better results if you buy
> a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
> resolution to work with, but RAW files from this camera will print
> amazing enlargements up to 30 by 40 inches that a 120/220
> negative/slide would not be able to do without unacceptable grain.
> When you are ready to *REALLY* move up, climb aboard the Sigma
> express.
>
> --
>
> Jörg Preddimann

spurious claims with no supporting evidence.

Jan T

"Devil's Avocado" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:110720042222222214%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, J?rg
> Preddimann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Andrew McCall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<cbvlgs$7g0$1$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > After 6 months working with 35mm, I have decided to explore the medium
> > > format world, and tonight I bought my first medium format camera - a
> > > Yashicamat 124-G from eBay! Its in great condition, and comes with an
> > > close-up lens set (No 2) manufactured by Aico and a Yashicamat lens

hood.

> > > I know people would probably have recommended a Rolleiflex such as a

T,
> > > but to defend my choice, I didn't want to spend more than £100 and its
> > > very difficult to get a Rolleiflex for this price thats in a condition
> > > like the Yashicamat. If I really like medium format I will sell on

the
> > > Yashicamat and get something like a Mamiya 645, and I probably won't
> > > loose much on the Yashicamat so long as I keep it in good condition.
> > > All together, the Yashicamat fits my needs perfectly.
> > >
> > > I do have a few questions though, and I was hoping for some help from
> > > people in here.
> > >
> > > What sort of cable release do I need to get? I already have one that
> > > works with my Nikon FM2n, will this work with the Yash?
> > >
> > > I normally shoot 35mm with Ilford HP5+, I presume the Ilford HP5+ 120

is
> > > exactly the same as what I normally use? Does development time differ?
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me about the Aico close up lens that comes with the

camera?

> > > Are there any other "must have" items for this camera?
> > >
> > > I have a JOBO LPL 7700 enlarger with a Schneider 2.8/50mm lens, do I
> > > need to get a different lens if I intend to do my own printing?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help in advance!
> > >
> > > Andrew McCall

> > I can understand your desire to have a better quality image than a
> > 35mm negative/slide or most digital SLRs will provide, therefore you
> > are dabbling with medium format. You can get better results if you buy
> > a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
> > resolution to work with, but RAW files from this camera will print
> > amazing enlargements up to 30 by 40 inches that a 120/220
> > negative/slide would not be able to do without unacceptable grain.
> > When you are ready to *REALLY* move up, climb aboard the Sigma
> > express.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jörg Preddimann

> spurious claims with no supporting evidence.

To tell more: coarse lies.
The 10.2 mp have to be devided by 3 as the Sigma uses a pixel for each
color. Read more on http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/sd10.htm, better
explanation than I can give.
Anyway, IMHO in your case this alternative is even not worth discussing.

Back to the topic:
if you are looking for amazing quality on MF for a budget: look for a Mamiya
C330 or C220, but look for one with black (=most recent, best coated)
lenses. Only Hassy users will tell Hassy is better

Cable release: just try to fit it on the camera (without forcing it of
course) and press the button. If the shutter clicks... (My cable release
works on both my Nikon and my Mamiya C220)

Enlarger: not every 35mm enlarger will accept MF. I don't know your
enlarger, so can't answer this for you. Anyway, the lighting system must
cover a MF negatieve without light falloff on the edges. If your enlarger
allows it: you'll probably have to fit a new lightbox and negative carrier
in it.

What I can say about your enlarger lens: most likely it won't do as most
50mm lenses don't cover the whole 6x6 negative; you'll need a new lens of 80
mm (Rodagon, Schneider, Nikon... have very good lenses but they'll cost you
x times the price of you camera: look for used ones)

Film HP5+ : the massive development chart
(http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html ) does not mention different
times for different formats, so I assume you can use the same times.

Final advice: buy yourself the above equipment, spend your money for a good
enlarger lens and you'll be in the ballpark 1) for uncomparable quality 2)
for a fraction of the price of digital.

Enjoy!

Jan

RSD99

That IDIOT "J?rg Preddimann" posted:
"...
You can get better results if you buy
a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
resolution to work with,
...."

Bull-Pucky.

I just scanned a couple of 120 frames that I took with a Rollflex ... way back in the days
of the original Ektachrome "E-1" film.

At a *very* sharp 7,000 pixels by 7,000 pixels (49 MegaPixels ... FWIW), I don't think any
digital camera based on a 35 mm body will come close. Andrew's "Yashicamat 124-G" is
probably capable of the same level of image quality, especially if fed with some of the
professional level films such as Fuji Velvia 100F or Provia 100F.

Oh ... BTW ... that Fovion sensor in your "SD10" is actually producing a 3.4 MegaPixel
image ... NOT 10.3 Megapixels as you "claim." That's only roughly 0.0693877 th of the size
of a 6x6 image scanned in a mid-range flatbed scanner. Yeah ... roughly 7%!

[Isn't the "Internet" wonderful ... even idiots like "J?rg Preddimann" ... or whatever
alias he/she's using on a given day ...are free to post their blatent lies completely
without recorse!]

Chris Brown

In article <tbiIc.42496$(E-Mail Removed)>,
RSD99 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>That IDIOT "J?rg Preddimann" posted:
>"...
>You can get better results if you buy
>a Sigma SD10 DSLR. Not only will you have 10.3 Megapixels of
>resolution to work with,
>..."
>

>Bull-Pucky.
>
>I just scanned a couple of 120 frames that I took with a Rollflex ...
>way back in the days
>of the original Ektachrome "E-1" film.
>
>At a *very* sharp 7,000 pixels by 7,000 pixels (49 MegaPixels ... FWIW),
>I don't think any
>digital camera based on a 35 mm body will come close. Andrew's
>"Yashicamat 124-G" is
>probably capable of the same level of image quality, especially if fed
>with some of the
>professional level films such as Fuji Velvia 100F or Provia 100F.

He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is capable of.
I'm using a Yashica Mat 124G, shooting mostly with Velvia 50, and scanning
on a cheap and cheerful Epson 4870. I'd say I get "DSLR-quality" pixels by
the time I downsize to somewhere around 36 megapixels (6000*6000). This
is a limitation of the scanner, not the film or optics, I'm sure.

Edge

Chris Brown wrote:

> He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is

capable of.

and yet you insist on answering and wagging your willy at the same time ...

Geez.

Chris Brown

In article <40f21430$(E-Mail Removed)>, Edge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Chris Brown wrote:
>
> > He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is

>capable of.
>
>and yet you insist on answering and wagging your willy at the same time ...

My post was on topic, and contained relevant information. One has to wonder
why *you* replied.

And BTW, if I was trying to engage in "willy wagging", as you so delicately
put it, I can hardly think of a more inappropriate piece of equipment to
do it with than a second hand 1970s "obsolete" camera that most people
wouldn't even look twice at, and which can be picked up for less than the
price of a pretty basic digital P&S. I bought it to take pictures with, not
to engage in equipment sonbbery contests.

Sheesh!

Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Chris Brown <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote:
> In article <40f21430$(E-Mail Removed)>, Edge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Chris Brown wrote:
> >
> > > He's a silly troll, and apparently has no idea what 120 film is

> >capable of.
> >
> >and yet you insist on answering and wagging your willy at the same time ...

> My post was on topic, and contained relevant information. One has to wonder
> why *you* replied.
>
> And BTW, if I was trying to engage in "willy wagging", as you so delicately
> put it, I can hardly think of a more inappropriate piece of equipment to
> do it with than a second hand 1970s "obsolete" camera that most people
> wouldn't even look twice at, and which can be picked up for less than the
> price of a pretty basic digital P&S. I bought it to take pictures with, not
> to engage in equipment sonbbery contests.

What has any of this stupidity got to do with rec.photo.equipment.35mm ???

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++

MXP

The SD10 is not a real 10,3 MP SLR. The image quality does not compare with
a real 10MP SLR either. And MF has still lot more details than a real 10MP
SLR.

Max

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...