Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 300d black body

Re: 300d black body

J?rg Preddimann

Mark Spacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> canon have started rolling out black bodied 300d
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04...s300dblack.asp
> only in japan at the moment
> the 300d in silver was a marketing disaster given the d70
> people paying £600 + do not want a digital slr that looks like a £4.99
> instamatitic, canon should switch to all black bodies NOW and see sales
> go through the roof, come on canon get your act together

More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.

--

Jörg Preddimann

adm

"J?rg Preddimann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Mark Spacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > canon have started rolling out black bodied 300d
> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04...s300dblack.asp
> > only in japan at the moment
> > the 300d in silver was a marketing disaster given the d70
> > people paying £600 + do not want a digital slr that looks like a £4.99
> > instamatitic, canon should switch to all black bodies NOW and see sales
> > go through the roof, come on canon get your act together

> More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
> Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
> 300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
> the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
> grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
> Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.

George,

This is a stupid post even by your standards.

Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, adm
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
> > Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
> > 300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
> > the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
> > grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
> > Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.

> George,
>
> This is a stupid post even by your standards.
>
> Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?

If Foveon is so great, how come nobody is buying them. Hint: they suck!

Crownfield

adm wrote:

> "J?rg Preddimann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Mark Spacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > canon have started rolling out black bodied 300d
> > > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04...s300dblack.asp
> > > only in japan at the moment
> > > the 300d in silver was a marketing disaster given the d70
> > > people paying £600 + do not want a digital slr that looks like a £4.99
> > > instamatitic, canon should switch to all black bodies NOW and see sales
> > > go through the roof, come on canon get your act together

> > More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
> > Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
> > 300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
> > the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
> > grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
> > Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.

> George,
>
> This is a stupid post even by your standards.
>
> Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?

if sigma sensors are produced in sweatshops,
it would explain the blotchy color.

jean

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:110720040922383585%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, adm
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > More importantly than fixing the appearance of the camera's exterior,
> > > Canon should strongly consider fixing the main problem INSIDE the
> > > 300D/Rebel--the mass produced (outsourced at sweat shops throughout
> > > the poorest sections of Asia) inferior version of the already horrible
> > > grayscale CMOS found in the 10D. Canon should consider switching to
> > > Foveon sensors if they want to be around in 5 years.

> > George,
> >
> > This is a stupid post even by your standards.
> >
> > Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?

> If Foveon is so great, how come nobody is buying them. Hint: they suck!

Indeed, in the french magazine "Chasseur d'images" no 263, they tested many
of the current DSLRs and the SD10's signal to noise level at ISO 200 (38dB)
is only slightly better than the 300D at ISO 800 (37dB). At 1600, the
SD10's is very low at 29dB compared to the 300D at 36dB. Their conclusion
is "amazing sensor, BUT the image quality starts to degrade at a very rapid
rate even at ISO 200 and especially at ISO 400"

The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB at
ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the very
best).

Jean

TP

"jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

>The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB at
>ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the very
>best).

These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

Bodo Malo

> >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB at
> >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the very
> >best).

> These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
> and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
> cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)

SD10 picture
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sigm...t/IMG10084.jpg

D70 picture
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...t/DSC_0003.jpg

any more comments needed?

Bodo

TP

"Bodo Malo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:>
>I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
>and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
>SD10 picture
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sigm...t/IMG10084.jpg
>D70 picture
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...t/DSC_0003.jpg
>any more comments needed?

Well, I did ask about the Olympus E-1!

But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.

Bodo Malo

>These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
>and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
>cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

> >I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
> >and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
> >SD10 picture
> >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sigm...t/IMG10084.jpg
> >D70 picture
> >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...t/DSC_0003.jpg
> >any more comments needed?

> Well, I did ask about the Olympus E-1!

Sorry, I thought you asked about both cameras - D70 and E1
The E1 has also a good picture quality, but much more noise at high iso levels (800, 1600)

Also I think the camera is too expensive and doesn't offer a lot of lenses.

> But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
> performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
> the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.

Maybe because of the metal body. There are no other reasons to buy the D100.
Anyway the D100 will be replaced this fall, there is no reason to buy it anymore.

TP

"Bodo Malo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry, I thought you asked about both cameras - D70 and E1

Yes, I did. But I own the E-1.

>The E1 has also a good picture quality, but much more noise at high iso levels (800, 1600)
>Also I think the camera is too expensive and doesn't offer a lot of lenses.

I use an E-1 and three lenses for a variety of paid work, and find it
offers outstanding picture quality for a 5MP camera. As it is a very
robust and (sp far completely) reliable pro quality camera body, I
don't think it is expensive compared to its pro quality competition.

However, if you are prepared to accept a consumer-grade standard of
build and feature set, I agree that there are cheaper alternatives.

As for lenses, the Zuiko range for the E-1 is superb. I can also use
most OM Zuiko lenses with an adapter.

I was interested to know whether the Chasseur d'Images report included
the Olympus E-1.