Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 300d black body

Re: 300d black body

jean

"TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:
> >
> >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB

at
> >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the

very
> >best).

> These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
> and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
> cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

The D70 at ISO 200 had 42dB of signal to noise ratio (41 at 400, 39 at 800
and 37 at 1600)

The Olympus E1 at ISO 100 had 43dB of signal to noise ratio (42 at 200, 40
at 400, 39 at 800 and 34 at 1600, 30 at 3200)

Jean

jean

"Bodo Malo" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB

at
> > >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the

very
> > >best).

> > These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
> > and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
> > cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

> I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
> and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
>
> SD10 picture
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sigm...t/IMG10084.jpg
>

> D70 picture
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...t/DSC_0003.jpg
>
> any more comments needed?
>
> Bodo

Very interesting images, at least with these there is no question as to
which camera took them, the EXIF information is intact. The SD10 does a
worse job than my old Collpix 4500 with it's smaller and potentially worse
sensor.

Jean

kosh

> > Since when have ANY CMOS devices ever been produced in "sweat shops" ?

very different from what people report who have actually been to the
factory.....

kosh

Crownfield

Bodo Malo wrote:

> > >The very best the SD10 can do concerning signal to noise ratio is 42 dB at
> > >ISO 100 compared to 50dB at ISO 200 for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II (the very
> > >best).

> > These are very interesting figures. Did they also test the Nikon D70
> > and Olympus E-1? What were the signal to noise ratios for those
> > cameras at ISO 100 and 200?

> I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
> and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)
>
> SD10 picture
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sigm...t/IMG10084.jpg
>
> D70 picture
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...t/DSC_0003.jpg
>
> any more comments needed?

but look at how well the sd10 renders
the rainbow color pattern in the shadows.

the d70 completely missed all the rainbow!!

> Bodo

Alan Browne

Bodo Malo wrote:

> I'll show you what the SD10 produces at night exposure (ISO 100, 30sec)
> and what the D70 produces (ISO 200 =lowest , 30 sec)

For an equivalent exposure value beqteen the two, the D70 should
have been 15 seconds, not 30. Is that how you did it?

In any case, the SD10 is certainly crap.

> SD10 picture
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sigm...t/IMG10084.jpg
>

> D70 picture
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Niko...t/DSC_0003.jpg

Darrell Larose

"TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
> performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
> the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.

The D100 is probably going to be replaced at Photokina, the D70 is a great
camera. But I can see a D200(?) and a D2X being released at Photokina 2004
this Fall.

http://www.photokina.de

Skip M

http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Darrell Larose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vbIIc.4$(E-Mail Removed) rs.com...

> "TP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > But thanks for posting those links. The D70 is a remarkable
> > performer. I don't know why anyone would want to buy the D100 when
> > the D70 is cheaper and so much better in terms of image quality.
> >

> The D100 is probably going to be replaced at Photokina, the D70 is a great
> camera. But I can see a D200(?) and a D2X being released at Photokina 2004
> this Fall.
>
> http://www.photokina.de

Lord knows, Nikon has to do something to keep up with the Canon 10D (which
also may be replaced) and 1D mkII. The D70 certainly took some wind out of
the sails of the RebelD, at least technologically speaking...

--
Skip Middleton

Witold

Before some questions, I'll just summarise the noise figures that have so
far been provided:

ISO100 ISO200 ISO400 ISO800 ISO1600 ISO3200
Olympus E1 43dB 42dB 40dB 39dB 34dB 30dB
Sigma SD10 42dB
Nikon D70 ---- 42dB 41dB 39dB 37dB
Canon 1D Mk II 50dB

Were the above noise figures obtained by using a grey card?

If not, what color was used?

Was more than one color used for the noise tests?

As there may be different noise levels associated with different colors, it
would be interesting to see a matrix of noise figures for something like
the GretagMacbeth ColorChecker. These figures could then be averaged and a
standard deviation calculated to see how much variation there was in the
noise level from one color to another. But then again, it might not show
anything much beyond the single noise figure.

--
Witold.