Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Duplicate photo finder

Duplicate photo finder

golf

Hi Group:
I have photos scattered over my HD. Does anyone know of a SW to find
and allow me to remove the duplicates?

--> Remove par from email address for replying

leo

"golf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group:
> I have photos scattered over my HD. Does anyone know of a SW to find
> and allow me to remove the duplicates?
>
> --> Remove par from email address for replying

Try Image Dupless

Grant Robertson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi Group:
> I have photos scattered over my HD. Does anyone know of a SW to find
> and allow me to remove the duplicates?
>
> --> Remove par from email address for replying

IMatch from www.photools.com

It's more of an image database program but it can do lots of duplicate
and similar type of matching. It is written by a guy that is an expert in
that field.

M Barnes

golf wrote:

> I have photos scattered over my HD.
> Does anyone know of a SW to find
> and allow me to remove the duplicates?

ACDSee does this, under Tools, Find Duplicates.
Once the dupes are located, there is a simple
checkbox removal option.

There are also standalone utilities that can
do this. Search under "duplicate file finder."
SpaceHound is one I've used in the past.

The Aussie Viking

My personal favourite is "Thumbs Plus"
www.cerious.com
Apart from checking for similar images (Both with your HDD storage, and your
offline CD/DVD storage, it also helps batch photo's for webpages, and even
generates thumbnail pages etc.

It's check will find them, even if they are different sizes and formats, eg
Large JPG, and a GIF miniature of it. Really worth the $$$$

The Aussie Viking.

David J Taylor

"golf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group:
> I have photos scattered over my HD. Does anyone know of a SW to find
> and allow me to remove the duplicates?

http://www.satsignal.net => Disk Utilities, FindDuplicates

Cheers,
David

Onno

golf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cs81f05p6a1rap59r5mnlnufajg58tu21i@
4ax.com:

> I have photos scattered over my HD. Does anyone know of a SW to find
> and allow me to remove the duplicate

Uniquefiler is quite good.Also for comparing new files with databases of
off-line CD's.

http://www.uniquefiler.com/

Nagware, so you don't have to pay, but you get a nag screen every once and
a while

--
Onno

Henrik2000

ThumbsPlus works amazingly well in finding duplicates that are
visually alike, but may have different file sizes, pixel numbers,
slightly different content etc. etc. You can fine tune the search
function (sort by colors/shapes), and there are actually two commands:
- arrange all pics in one directory by visual similarity
- find all pics that resemble the one just selected

From what i remember, ACDSee does not check for visual similarity, but
only for similar technical data like number of pixels.

Two more beginner softwares - i think - can do a search for visually
(not technically) similar images: Photoshop Album 2 (search less
convincing than ThumbsPlus) and Microsoft PictureIt Foto Designer, the
most recent version.

Adobe has a permanently free "Starter Edition" of their Photoshop
Album 2, but i don't know if it does include this search for visually
similar pics. As a file browser, for my feel the commercial version
lacks many essential features.

Grant Robertson

In article <40f0cef2$0$27219$(E-Mail Removed) u>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> My personal favourite is "Thumbs Plus"
> www.cerious.com
> Apart from checking for similar images (Both with your HDD storage, and your
> offline CD/DVD storage, it also helps batch photo's for webpages, and even
> generates thumbnail pages etc.
>
> It's check will find them, even if they are different sizes and formats, eg
> Large JPG, and a GIF miniature of it. Really worth the $$$$
>
> The Aussie Viking.

I had evaluated Thumbs Plus before evaluating IMatch. I dropped Thumbs
Plus because you had to use SQL query statements to search for your
files. I've been a computer guy for over 25 years but I don't want to
have to learn SQL just to find my pictures. Plus it seems the programmer
is going down the slippery slope of just sticking in all kinds of
features just because someone mentioned it and it was easy to program.

I just dropped IMatch as well for similar reasons.

I don't happen to really need the duplicate finding features that the
original poster was looking for. I just knew IMatch had them.

What I really need is a good, solid database program that just works
without trying to do everything every other program in the world does.

MJ@MJ.com

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:25:12 -0500, Grant Robertson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What I really need is a good, solid database program that just works
>without trying to do everything every other program in the world does.

Duplicate Image Finder from http://www.rmsft.com/ does just this one
thing. I haven't used it in a long while, but as far as I remember it
worked ok. I have no experience of any other prog with which to
compare it though.

MJ