Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > slide shows

slide shows

Gene Palmiter

I just picked up some older computers at an auction. I plan to put my photos
on display in local business windows. I would rather not deal with
windows....cause there is no way I would buy that many copies...anyone have
some ideas on how this can best be done with dos or other options? Maybe
someday I will do PowerPoint presentations with them...but for now I want an
easy way.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

stewy

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ho1Ic.24893$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just picked up some older computers at an auction. I plan to put my

photos
> on display in local business windows. I would rather not deal with
> windows....cause there is no way I would buy that many copies...anyone

have
> some ideas on how this can best be done with dos or other options? Maybe
> someday I will do PowerPoint presentations with them...but for now I want

an
> easy way.

Business windows or Microsoft Windows?

Mike Fields

How about cheap DVD players that will play jpgs ??
They can be had for $50 or so and will play a DVD
(0r even CD-R?) loaded with JPG files.

--
Mike "mikey" Fields
http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

"stewy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ccqf4h$ipi$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ho1Ic.24893$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just picked up some older computers at an auction. I plan to put my

> photos
> > on display in local business windows. I would rather not deal with
> > windows....cause there is no way I would buy that many copies...anyone

> have
> > some ideas on how this can best be done with dos or other options? Maybe
> > someday I will do PowerPoint presentations with them...but for now I

want
> an
> > easy way.
> >

> Business windows or Microsoft Windows?

Bob

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ho1Ic.24893$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just picked up some older computers at an auction. I plan to put my

photos
> on display in local business windows.

use redhat, suse, or madrake linux and kuickshow for example...it is free,
and even a teenager can figure out how to load it.

Boris Harss

Bob wrote:

> use redhat, suse, or madrake linux and kuickshow for example...it is free,
> and even a teenager can figure out how to load it.

A good, cheap & legal solution. Maybe, if you are not one yourself, hire
a teenager to install the computers for you... )

B.

Gene Palmiter

I said what I said....I will put slide shows in windows around town.

"stewy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ccqf4h$ipi$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ho1Ic.24893$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just picked up some older computers at an auction. I plan to put my

> photos
> > on display in local business windows. I would rather not deal with
> > windows....cause there is no way I would buy that many copies...anyone

> have
> > some ideas on how this can best be done with dos or other options? Maybe
> > someday I will do PowerPoint presentations with them...but for now I

want
> an
> > easy way.
> >

> Business windows or Microsoft Windows?

Henrik2000

As for IrfanView: It is absolutely free, and you can add music two,
just drag MP3s into the file selection for the slideshow. You get an
exe file, which makes it easy to create an autostart CD. It does not
have transitions, and you cannot extract single images files. You
cannot have individual viewing times for separate pics.
Photoshop Album 2 creates a PDF slide show, and so does its free
"Starter Edition" version. You can extract single pics (at least with
Reader 6), and you can view them in reader as "pages", too.
ThumbsPlus creates a simple, easy to handle exe show. A few
transitions, no music and no individual times for different pics. Here
single pics can be extracted as JPEGs, if desired in their original
pixel size.
If you want it flashy, yes, try the aforementioned Magix,
alternatively Aquasoft Diashow XP - lots of great effects including
lettering, but a confusing UI and not free.