Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon 5700 ??

Nikon 5700 ??

David J Taylor

"Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:40f19d40$0$21478$(E-Mail Removed) ...
[]
> Added to that, how does it perform overall and does the oddly-sited

power
> switch cause any problems? I too am thinking of getting one, having

decided
> the Canon S1 is too poorly contructed.

[]
> Zebedee

I don't find it oddly sited, as it is consistent with the other Nikon
cameras I have used.

On some of the much earlier Coolpix (e.g. 990) the power switch
occasioanlly needed some switch cleaned sprayed in externally, but after a
couple of years in the field that doesn't seem unreasonable!

I do second Frank's comment about switching to View mode before putting
the camera away. Good practice if you remember and not a disaster if you
don't.

I've had mine 2 years, and recently compared the image quality to the much
newer Minolta A2. On average, the Minolta was no better than the 5700. I
sent the Minolta bacl. The 5700 is a well made camera, with a
well-matched sensor and lens combination. I heartily recommend it.

Cheers,
David

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:43:01 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Only *serious* problem has been the fatal lens error when the switch
>turned on while in the bag: I guess it strips a gear or something if it
>can't deploy its lens without interference.

To stop this set the camera to playback. The lens does not extend in this
mode unless connected to a computer via the supplied cable.

>You need to be careful with
>add-on filters if you choose other-than-Nikon; theirs are deep set to
>accommodate that.

There are aftermarket solutions like the NextPhoto adapters which attach to
the lens barrel itself and don't cause this problem. There is even a 58mm
sized adapter which lets you use the same filter on the camera itself and
the TC-15 teleconverter.

>Very good. Nikon offers fisheyes for a 183-degree(?) view.

But compared to my old CP-990 + FC9 combo, the 5700 + FC-8 is sorely
lacking. It's at best a novelty lens, imo. Must shoot only circular images
fully zoomed out or the outer periphery of the image is horribly out of
focus.

>Those two cameras and a convertor each kit you up from 19-420mm. Without
>the 6AA paks, they are light and compact. With them, they last a long,
>long time. You pays you money and you makes you choice.

I also find the battery pack gives a better handhold for my left hand and
stops inadvertent contact with the buttons on the left side of the barrel.

See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Larry R Harrison Jr

"Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<40f19d40$0$21478$(E-Mail Removed) k>...
> "slhawks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3u0Ic.572$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am thinking of making a purchase and have been told of poor focusing
> > Is this correct ????
> > Many Thanks

> Added to that, how does it perform overall and does the oddly-sited power
> switch cause any problems? I too am thinking of getting one, having decided
> the Canon S1 is too poorly contructed.

Check out
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/

I have to say--different reviewers have lamented the "oddly sitted
power switch." Actually, I have always found its location to be the
most logical place in the world.

The only reason some find it odd is that some DIGITAL cameras use that
location as their zoom's location. But it makes sense for a Nikon; all
of their recent SLRs have their OFF-ON switch there, and I have always
found that location VERY logical. So it's just an extension of that if
you ask me.

Overall, I love my 5700. Most who've owned it will agree. Its
low-light autofocusing is annoying but can be worked around. Again
some even wrig up a generic laser pointer via a bracket and use it
much as Sony's DSC-F717 uses its own built-in laser pointer. It does
help a lot.

Here is one link describing it (he describes it for his Coolpix 995,
but it works the same for the 5700):

http://www.photoprojects.net/index6.html

http://www.photoprojects.net/laser995.jpg (that one I got by clicking
the photo-icon next to "focus assist" on the same page)

Also:

http://www.pbase.com/budguinn/handle_for_laser

Again, overall--great camera with huge capabilities. The 35-280mm
(equivalent) zoom is very nice--and of high-quality despite the huge
8x range--and it has a HUGE assortment of manual controls and
adjustable parameters, ability to shoot in RAW, a hot-shoe, great
quality build, ability to accept filters (with adapters at
http://www.nextphoto.net/5700.htm ), and the photo quality is really
good. 8 x 10s I've done were practically indistinguishable from 35mm 8
x 10s. Some report similar results at even bigger sizes, although I
can't confirm it.

Again if the autofocusing issue is huge enough then a suitable
alternative is a Sony DSC-F717 with its hologram-laser AF assist
feature. I also like that it takes filters without the need for an
adapter, and many love the swiveling lens barrel. But if you can work
around the low-light AF issue--and again I decided I could--then the
Coolpix 5700 is definitely the way to go. The Sony can't shoot in RAW
(a serious omission from a camera with "prosumer" intentions), goes
from 35-190 vs the Nikon's 35-280 (although 35-190 is pretty good
too), doesn't allow saturation or tone (contrast) or noise reduction
to be adjusted, and while the lens swivels the LCD panel doesn't as it
does with other such high-line cameras.

It (the Sony) also uses Memory Stick; that's not a huge thing but
personally I like cameras that use Compact Flash as the Coolpix 5700
does. Compact Flash is the cheapest storage yet not at all inferior
(after all, the new & wonderful Nikon D70 uses it and it's VERY quick
with the right kind of card). My 512 megabyte 12x Lexar card cost me
only $80 and will hold about 350 FINE-JPEGs (full-size of course). I
like the "universal" nature of Compact Flash and am not all that hot
about cameras using SD, xD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, yada yada
yada. (The usage of SD disappoints me regarding Nikon's newer point &
shoots like the 2200 or 3200, but anyway.)

slhawks

Another Question.

Can a third party flash (Dumb) be used on the shoe

Thanks Again

"slhawks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3u0Ic.572$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am thinking of making a purchase and have been told of poor focusing
> Is this correct ????
> Many Thanks
>

> ---

---

Larry R Harrison Jr

"slhawks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GBUIc.779$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Another Question.
>
> Can a third party flash (Dumb) be used on the shoe
>
> Thanks Again

Some can, but you have to be careful about voltage issues. I think, say, the
Sunpak PZ5000AF or PZ4000AF could. Some have mentioned using (I think) a
Vivitar 730i.

But an old Vivitar 283 or Vivitar 285? That would be quite risky. Wein makes
a voltage thingie--can't remember what it's called--that suppressed the
voltage of such flashes to make it safe.

LRH

Zebedee

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "slhawks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GBUIc.779$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Another Question.
> >
> > Can a third party flash (Dumb) be used on the shoe
> >
> > Thanks Again
> >

> Some can, but you have to be careful about voltage issues. I think, say,

the
> Sunpak PZ5000AF or PZ4000AF could. Some have mentioned using (I think) a
> Vivitar 730i.
>
> But an old Vivitar 283 or Vivitar 285? That would be quite risky. Wein

makes
> a voltage thingie--can't remember what it's called--that suppressed the
> voltage of such flashes to make it safe.

How about a Metz 45 CT1?

--
Yours

Zebedee