Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can Nikon DX lenses be used on 35mm bodies?

Can Nikon DX lenses be used on 35mm bodies?

Paul Crowder

I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup for
a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though, especially
since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for me. So I was
wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s for my 35mm body.

Paul

Mike Brodbelt

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:

> I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup
> for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
> especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for
> me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on
> Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s
> for my 35mm body.

As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image circle
sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm frame. It
might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
entirety of the 35mm frame.

Mike.

elemar@comcast.net

Mike Brodbelt <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
: On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:

: > I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup
: > for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
: > especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for
: > me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on
: > Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s
: > for my 35mm body.

: As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image circle
: sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm frame. It
: might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
: entirety of the 35mm frame.

: Mike.

It really depends on the lens. For example, the 12-24mm DX lens will mount
on a film body and will cover the full frame when zoomed to something
like 18mm (I can't remember the exact focal length). So, for that lens,
the covering power does increase with focal length, but I am not sure that
is the case with all the DX lenses.

Ray

--
E. Ray Lemar http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed)

Apteryx

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike Brodbelt <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> : On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:
>
> : > I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a

setup
> : > for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
> : > especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an

option for
> : > me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would

work on
> : > Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or

N90s
> : > for my 35mm body.
>
> : As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image

circle
> : sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm

frame. It
> : might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
> : entirety of the 35mm frame.
>
> : Mike.
>
> It really depends on the lens. For example, the 12-24mm DX lens will

mount
> on a film body and will cover the full frame when zoomed to something
> like 18mm (I can't remember the exact focal length). So, for that

lens,
> the covering power does increase with focal length, but I am not sure

that
> is the case with all the DX lenses.

It's a while since I tried it, but I seem to recall that the 18-70mm DX
covered the full frame on my film SLR at around 50mm, but not if zoomed
in either direction. Certainly at the wide end there was severe
vignetting (with the exposed part down to simply a circle which reached
the top of the frame only at the midpoint, as with a 180 degree fisheye
lens).

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Scott Schuckert

In article <5qXHc.143233$(E-Mail Removed) >, Paul
Crowder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So I was
> wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
> bodies?

Pffftt! Easy answer - No.

john

"Paul Crowder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5qXHc.143233$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup

for
> a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though, especially
> since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for me. So I was
> wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
> bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s for my 35mm

body.

As someone who just tried it right now after reading your message... no.

(Tried with an F60 and an old FM).