Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > disabling SSID broadcast in router

Reply
Thread Tools

disabling SSID broadcast in router

 
 
Z.K.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2005
I have a DSL line attached to a netgear wireless router and then to a
desktop PC and a laptop with a netgear wireless card. I have 128-bit
WEP activated and MAC address card access enabled. But even though I
have the same SSID on both the router and wireless card, when I disable
SSID broadcast, I can no longer connect to my router with my laptop. I
have read that it is more secure to disable SSID broadcast and I would
like to do this, but I can not get this to work. Any suggestions on how
I can get this to work?

Z.K.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M Irusalimsky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2005
when you disable SSID on router your (windows i assume) wont see the router
in "available wireless networks list", so you'll have to manually configure
your laptops wireless card with the correct SSID in preffered networks list

Good luck

"Z.K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23yeV1PJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a DSL line attached to a netgear wireless router and then to a
>desktop PC and a laptop with a netgear wireless card. I have 128-bit WEP
>activated and MAC address card access enabled. But even though I have the
>same SSID on both the router and wireless card, when I disable SSID
>broadcast, I can no longer connect to my router with my laptop. I have
>read that it is more secure to disable SSID broadcast and I would like to
>do this, but I can not get this to work. Any suggestions on how I can get
>this to work?
>
> Z.K.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ryan Younger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2005
You won't be able to use XP's wireless zero configuration if you disable the
SSID, you will have to configure the connection manually. Disabling the
SSID is not really much of a security measure, every time a machine
associates with an AP the SSID is shown in clear text, and can be viewed by
anyone with a wireless sniffer. There are far better methods for securing
your AP, such as enabling encryption; you can read more in the following
article:

Best Practices for Securing a SOHO Wireless Access Point/Router

Available at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/


--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
Networking Weblog

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)


"Z.K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23yeV1PJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a DSL line attached to a netgear wireless router and then to a
>desktop PC and a laptop with a netgear wireless card. I have 128-bit WEP
>activated and MAC address card access enabled. But even though I have the
>same SSID on both the router and wireless card, when I disable SSID
>broadcast, I can no longer connect to my router with my laptop. I have
>read that it is more secure to disable SSID broadcast and I would like to
>do this, but I can not get this to work. Any suggestions on how I can get
>this to work?
>
> Z.K.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Z.K.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2005
I had already done that, but I'll give it another try.

Z.K.

M Irusalimsky wrote:
> when you disable SSID on router your (windows i assume) wont see the router
> in "available wireless networks list", so you'll have to manually configure
> your laptops wireless card with the correct SSID in preffered networks list
>
> Good luck
>
> "Z.K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23yeV1PJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a DSL line attached to a netgear wireless router and then to a
>>desktop PC and a laptop with a netgear wireless card. I have 128-bit WEP
>>activated and MAC address card access enabled. But even though I have the
>>same SSID on both the router and wireless card, when I disable SSID
>>broadcast, I can no longer connect to my router with my laptop. I have
>>read that it is more secure to disable SSID broadcast and I would like to
>>do this, but I can not get this to work. Any suggestions on how I can get
>>this to work?
>>
>>Z.K.

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Z.K.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2005
Thanks for the info. Even so, I would still like to be able to do it.

Z.K.

Ryan Younger wrote:
> You won't be able to use XP's wireless zero configuration if you disable the
> SSID, you will have to configure the connection manually. Disabling the
> SSID is not really much of a security measure, every time a machine
> associates with an AP the SSID is shown in clear text, and can be viewed by
> anyone with a wireless sniffer. There are far better methods for securing
> your AP, such as enabling encryption; you can read more in the following
> article:
>
> Best Practices for Securing a SOHO Wireless Access Point/Router
>
> Available at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2005
Hi

If you do not use any security measure disabling the SSID and using the
original manufacturer util., (WZC need the SSID On) is half a notch above
nothing.

Otherwise, if you use additional security measure the "Hidden SSID" does
nothing for you, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid

Jack (MVP-Networking).



"Z.K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23yeV1PJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a DSL line attached to a netgear wireless router and then to a
>desktop PC and a laptop with a netgear wireless card. I have 128-bit WEP
>activated and MAC address card access enabled. But even though I have the
>same SSID on both the router and wireless card, when I disable SSID
>broadcast, I can no longer connect to my router with my laptop. I have
>read that it is more secure to disable SSID broadcast and I would like to
>do this, but I can not get this to work. Any suggestions on how I can get
>this to work?
>
> Z.K.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Z.K.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2005
Oh okay, that helps alot since I can't get my systems to talk to one
another with the SSID disabled. I won't worry about it then.

Z.K.

Jack wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you do not use any security measure disabling the SSID and using the
> original manufacturer util., (WZC need the SSID On) is half a notch above
> nothing.
>
> Otherwise, if you use additional security measure the "Hidden SSID" does
> nothing for you, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
>
>
> "Z.K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23yeV1PJ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a DSL line attached to a netgear wireless router and then to a
>>desktop PC and a laptop with a netgear wireless card. I have 128-bit WEP
>>activated and MAC address card access enabled. But even though I have the
>>same SSID on both the router and wireless card, when I disable SSID
>>broadcast, I can no longer connect to my router with my laptop. I have
>>read that it is more secure to disable SSID broadcast and I would like to
>>do this, but I can not get this to work. Any suggestions on how I can get
>>this to work?
>>
>>Z.K.

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
steve.co.uk steve.co.uk is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
 
      09-30-2006
Hi have you tried changing the advanced properties in wireless connection window.
If there are other wirless lans in the area it would stop the connection you have made from working.

Go to Veiw wireless networks
Ckick change advanced settings
open the wireless networks window
click advanced
uncheck automaticaly connect to none-prefered networks

Hope it helps

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSID called HOME even though I have configured another SSID =?Utf-8?B?bXJ3b25n?= Wireless Networking 0 03-26-2006 10:50 PM
Adapter does not connect to Linksys router when SSID broadcast is disabled Ray Wireless Networking 8 10-10-2005 06:06 PM
Preferred SSID - Hidden SSID =?Utf-8?B?cmNi?= Wireless Networking 4 09-29-2005 11:57 AM
Disabling SSID on Linksys WRT54GS router. Cannot disable ssid pattyjamas@hotmail.com Wireless Networking 6 08-18-2005 02:27 PM
SSID Broadcast Darren Li Wireless Networking 3 10-15-2004 03:20 AM



Advertisments