Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Use XML to add data to database

Use XML to add data to database

sreevidhyas@gmail.com

Hi

I am a newbie to the ,net programming and am trying to use XML to
add/update data in the database (SQL server/C#) if anyone can please
show me how to do it or if there are any tutorials i can read i would
really appreciate that.

Kevin Spencer

You haven't told us anything. XML can represent literally *any* kind of
data, regardless of whether it's related to a database or not. Can you
provide more information about your requirements?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Hard work is a medication for which
there is no placebo.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi
>
> I am a newbie to the ,net programming and am trying to use XML to
> add/update data in the database (SQL server/C#) if anyone can please
> show me how to do it or if there are any tutorials i can read i would
> really appreciate that.

melody

Sorry i am totally new to XML as well.....what i actually want to do is
get the input from a form and pass that to a stored procedure in sql
server...sorry if i am not being very specific like i said i am still
learning....TIA

sloan

Check the 2 articles I have at:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sholliday/

The 0:N one will show you how to populate data (inside a stored proc) with
an xml input.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi
>
> I am a newbie to the ,net programming and am trying to use XML to
> add/update data in the database (SQL server/C#) if anyone can please
> show me how to do it or if there are any tutorials i can read i would
> really appreciate that.

Kevin Spencer

Hi melody,
Ok, this doesn't sound like it needs anything to do with XML at this point.
XML (Extensible Markup Language) is a very cool medium for storing and
transmitting data of virtually any kind, as it is, by definition,
eXtensible. Because it is fully text-based, XML is
corss-platform-compatible. Because it has a strict but fairly simple set of
rules, it can be interpreted by any client. Because of derived technologies
like XSL (Exstensible Style Language), it can be transformed into any other
compatible data format. Just so you know.

But in this case, you're taking user input from an HTML form, and passing
that to a stored procedure in a database. For this, all you need is a set of
data classes and some elbow grease.

For this, you may want to use some of the tools which Microsoft has made
freely available through their "Patterns and Practices" web site. This
includes various class libraries that provide support for common database
operations, and can even be specified by the .Net arena you're working in,
in this case, ASP.Net. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/apptype/webapps/

--
HTH,