Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Html Form Help!!!

Html Form Help!!!

Roshawn Dawson

Hi,

I have an .aspx page that contains an html form. Below is the code used for the form:

<form id="Shoes" method="post" runat="server">
<asp:textbox id="q" maxlength="100" runat="server"/><br />
<asp:dropdownlist id="sz" runat="server"/><br /> <!-- this control is populated programmatically -->
<asp:dropdownlist id="tp" runat="server">
<asp:listitem value="24">Any</asp:listitem>
<asp:listitem value="2293">Athletic</asp:listitem>
<asp:listitem value="31920">Athletic-Inspired</asp:listitem>
</asp:dropdownlist><br />
<asp:dropdownlist id="cd" runat="server">
<asp:listitem value="24">Any</asp:listitem>
<asp:listitem value="31919">New</asp:listitem>
</asp:dropdownlist><br />
<input type="submit" value="Search"/>
</form>

All is good here.

But should I specify any form variables and perform a postback, I can't access any of the form
controls using either the Request.Form collection or using Request.Querystring collection.

I have no idea why this is happening. Can anyone help this newbie?

Thanks,
Roshawn

I don't see anything particularly wrong with your form ASPX tag code.
You have not shown how you expect to access these values on a postback.

The typicaly pattern is:

Page_Load( ....)
{
if(IsPostBack)
{
//get values here

}

Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

"Roshawn Dawson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an .aspx page that contains an html form. Below is the code used for the form:
>

> <form id="Shoes" method="post" runat="server">
> <asp:textbox id="q" maxlength="100" runat="server"/><br />
> <asp:dropdownlist id="sz" runat="server"/><br /> <!-- this control is populated programmatically -->
> <asp:dropdownlist id="tp" runat="server">
> <asp:listitem value="24">Any</asp:listitem>
> <asp:listitem value="2293">Athletic</asp:listitem>
> <asp:listitem value="31920">Athletic-Inspired</asp:listitem>
> </asp:dropdownlist><br />
> <asp:dropdownlist id="cd" runat="server">
> <asp:listitem value="24">Any</asp:listitem>
> <asp:listitem value="31919">New</asp:listitem>
> </asp:dropdownlist><br />
> <input type="submit" value="Search"/>
> </form>
>

> All is good here.
>
> But should I specify any form variables and perform a postback, I can't access any of the form
> controls using either the Request.Form collection or using Request.Querystring collection.
>
> I have no idea why this is happening. Can anyone help this newbie?
>
> Thanks,
> Roshawn

Roshawn Dawson

Hmm...

Your suggestion is simple enough. I though that you don't always have to check if the page was
posted back. I thought that I could slap some code onto the page and simply use the Request object.
Seems I was wrong.

Thanks for the tip, Peter.

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP] wrote:
> I don't see anything particularly wrong with your form ASPX tag code.
> You have not shown how you expect to access these values on a postback.
>
> The typicaly pattern is:
>
> Page_Load( ....)
> {
> if(IsPostBack)
> {
> //get values here
>
> }
>
> Peter

Roshawn Dawson

I appreciate your suggestion, but unfortunately nothing works. I still cannot use the Request.Form
collection or the Request.QueryString collection.

Thanks anyway,
Roshawn

If you want to post a "Short but complete" code sample, sombody will review
it. How about your AutoEventWireup directive, how is that set? Have you set a
breakpont on the code line that you expect to see executed, to see if it is
actually reached? Have you tried using the locals window to look at values?

"Roshawn Dawson" wrote:

> I appreciate your suggestion, but unfortunately nothing works. I still cannot use the Request.Form
> collection or the Request.QueryString collection.
>
> Thanks anyway,
> Roshawn

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Roshawn.

What you are looking for is the Request.Params collection.

See example usage at :
http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=4&rl=1

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ASPNET...eDecoding.aspx

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Roshawn Dawson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I appreciate your suggestion, but unfortunately nothing works. I still cannot use the Request.Form
>collection or the Request.QueryString collection.
>
> Thanks anyway,
> Roshawn

Roshawn Dawson

Hi Juan,

I've done some more testing, and what I found is strange. Both the Request.Params and the
Request.QueryString collections are empty.

I have no idea why this is. Could setting the EnableViewState property to true have an effect on
these collections?

Thanks,
Roshawn

Juan T. Llibre wrote:
> Hi, Roshawn.
>
> What you are looking for is the Request.Params collection.
>
> See example usage at :
> http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=4&rl=1
>
> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ASPNET...eDecoding.aspx
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

Roshawn Dawson

Never mind; I figured it out. Silly me, I didn't supply a name attribute for any of the form's
controls. That's why I couldn't get any data.

And to think that I need a hairpiece for nothing (I pulled all of it out).

Thanks gang,
Roshawn

Juan T. Llibre

heh, heh...
Been there, done that!

I bet it felt good to finally figure it out!

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
news:%23WISox%(E-Mail Removed)...