Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF/TB Question After Changing MotherBoard + Reinstalling Win2K

FF/TB Question After Changing MotherBoard + Reinstalling Win2K

Herb

This may come under the category "Leave Well Enough Alone", but I'd like
to understand the why's and how's --

Upgraded motherboard and had to reinstall Win2K (SP4) after having a
Win2K problem unrelated to Firefox. Saved the FF and TB Profiles to an
external hard drive so that I still have everything in terms of user
profiles, bookmarks, email etc. Downloaded and installed new/latest
versions of FF and TB.

At: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile it says that this is
usually the path:
" On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually
%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.defaul t\, where xxxxxxxx is
a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and the
rest should be obvious. "

Mine says:
C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username (in this case) > Application
Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Application Data (is this string correct?

When I use the function "Run > %AppData% ==> I get the Applications Data
Folder
But when I go thru Windows Explorer to create username and reestablish
connection to FF Profile as I log in to FF to create username and
account, I do NOT see the Applications Data folder in the menu/tree when
I click through the folders C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username
(in this case) and the sub-folders after this are Cookies, Desktop,
Favorites, My Documents and Start-up Menu.

So, as a workaround, I dragged the previously-saved FF and TB folders
from the external hard drive, and placed these folders immediately under
the C-drive, and mapped this way when I went into each profile manager
to create the new user accounts.

Well, I now have a different path which seems to be working, so here
are my questions:

1) How critical is it that my FF and TB profiles reside at the
locations noted above in the Apps Data folder?
2) And if it is critical, why can't I get to the APPs DATA folder via
Windows Explorer? and how do I do this?
3) My FF and TB seem to be working fine, so assuming I can keep them
where they are as main C-drive folders, should I be able to delete all
the Mozilla stuff under the APPS FOLDER, which I only see when I go RUN
> %AppData% ??

Feel free to email me directly.

Doug G

Herb wrote:
> This may come under the category "Leave Well Enough Alone", but I'd like
> to understand the why's and how's --
>
> Upgraded motherboard and had to reinstall Win2K (SP4) after having a
> Win2K problem unrelated to Firefox. Saved the FF and TB Profiles to an
> external hard drive so that I still have everything in terms of user
> profiles, bookmarks, email etc. Downloaded and installed new/latest
> versions of FF and TB.
>
> At: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile it says that this is
> usually the path:
> " On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually
> %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.defaul t\, where xxxxxxxx is
> a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
> Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ and the
> rest should be obvious. "
>
> Mine says:
> C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username (in this case) > Application
> Data > Mozilla > Firefox > Application Data (is this string correct?
>
> When I use the function "Run > %AppData% ==> I get the Applications Data
> Folder
> But when I go thru Windows Explorer to create username and reestablish
> connection to FF Profile as I log in to FF to create username and
> account, I do NOT see the Applications Data folder in the menu/tree when
> I click through the folders C:\ > Documents and Settings > My Username
> (in this case) and the sub-folders after this are Cookies, Desktop,
> Favorites, My Documents and Start-up Menu.
>
> So, as a workaround, I dragged the previously-saved FF and TB folders
> from the external hard drive, and placed these folders immediately under
> the C-drive, and mapped this way when I went into each profile manager
> to create the new user accounts.
>
> Well, I now have a different path which seems to be working, so here
> are my questions:
>
> 1) How critical is it that my FF and TB profiles reside at the
> locations noted above in the Apps Data folder?
> 2) And if it is critical, why can't I get to the APPs DATA folder via
> Windows Explorer? and how do I do this?
> 3) My FF and TB seem to be working fine, so assuming I can keep them
> where they are as main C-drive folders, should I be able to delete all
> the Mozilla stuff under the APPS FOLDER, which I only see when I go RUN
> > %AppData% ??

> Feel free to email me directly.
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

Windows hides the "Application Data" folder until told not to, see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...iddenfiles.asp

As long as their profile managers know where they are located, Firefox
and Thunderbird don't care where their profiles are. Mine are in
E:\Mozilla\Users\.