Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Do the New Epson Printers Still Clog?

Do the New Epson Printers Still Clog?

Poindexter

I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great. The
only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print anything. I
swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have some
nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with their
new printers and inks.

I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

Tyrone Jackson

Absolutely! It wastes ink to clean the heads. Add that wasted ink up
worldwide and thats a nice little extra couple dozen of mansions in the
Hamptons, Ferrari F50's in every color for every day of the month for the
CEO of Epson. We don't think he wants to give that profit margin up do we? I
didn't think so. Bend over and take it like a man. Your wallet that is.

Ty

"Poindexter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

The
> only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

anything. I
> swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have

some
> nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with

their
> new printers and inks.
>
> I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

Rick

"Poindexter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great. The
> only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print anything. I
> swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have some
> nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with their
> new printers and inks.
>
> I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

We've had an R800 for almost three months and it hasn't
clogged once yet. But if you've had this problem in the past
you're likely to have it in the future -- a lot depends on how
you use (or don't use) the printer, and also relative humidity
(or a lack of it) in your geographical area. Epsons are rated
for use under a specific humidity range, 20%-80% I believe.

Rick

Charles Schuler

"Poindexter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

The
> only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

anything. I
> swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have

some
> nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with

their
> new printers and inks.
>
> I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

I'm not sure that the Canon is any better, but hope that it is. I use more
of Epson's VERY expensive ink cleaning heads than I do printing. Epson
printers are extremely high maintenance and thus too costly to own!

My next printer will be one that does not waste so much ink and thus will be
one that I can afford to own. (Able to afford to buy has little to do with
being able to afford to own when it comes to printers and other things.)

grenner

I have a Epson 960 and have had it for a little over a year with no problems
at all. Typically I have always used Epsons. I tried a couple of Canon's a
couple of years ago and they were crap failing in less than year.

Get a dye sub if you are nervous about clogging.

Greg
"Poindexter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

The
> only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

anything. I
> swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have

some
> nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with

their
> new printers and inks.
>
> I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

Gary Eickmeier

Poindexter wrote:
> I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great. The
> only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print anything. I
> swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have some
> nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with their
> new printers and inks.
>
> I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

The thing is that the Canons have replaceable heads, if and when they
should clog so that you can't clean them. I have had some suspicious
banding with my i950 two times, but it cleared up with some cleaning and
more printing. It seems to happen after the printer sits unused for a
while. Also, the ink tanks are individual, so you only replace what you
need to. Kind of fun, actually. I would strongly look at the i9900 for
the ultimate printer.

Gary Eickmeier

Mark M

"Poindexter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints great.

The
> only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

anything. I
> swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they have

some
> nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems with

their
> new printers and inks.
>
> I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.

I'm not sure why I'm so lucky, but I've had my 1270 since it was first
released some years ago, and have NEVER had one single clog.

Tyrone Jackson

How much are the heads? Close to or as much as a new printer?

Ty

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:16GHc.35630$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Poindexter wrote:
> > I'm looking to replace an old Epson Photo 780 printer which prints

great. The
> > only problem is I have to unclog the heads everytime I need to print

anything. I
> > swore to myself I would never buy epson again, but it looks like they

have some
> > nice printers out. Does Epson still have this nasty clogging problems

with their
> > new printers and inks.
> >
> > I'm leaning towards getting the Canon 960i.
> >

> The thing is that the Canons have replaceable heads, if and when they
> should clog so that you can't clean them. I have had some suspicious
> banding with my i950 two times, but it cleared up with some cleaning and
> more printing. It seems to happen after the printer sits unused for a
> while. Also, the ink tanks are individual, so you only replace what you
> need to. Kind of fun, actually. I would strongly look at the i9900 for
> the ultimate printer.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Joseph Meehan

Tyrone Jackson wrote:
> How much are the heads? Close to or as much as a new printer?

When I bought my last Epson printer, the printer the list price of the a
cartridge was more than the sale/rebate price of the printer that came with
a cartridge. I almost bought a second printer just for the ink since they
were out of ink.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

pjp

Funny, I never have that problem with my Epsons which replaced my Lexmark
because of that specific problem.