Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A Kodak comment about a Sigma lens

A Kodak comment about a Sigma lens

Martin Francis

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news6BHc.11138$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Note: Any posters having anything good to say about any Sigma product

should
> be ignored. A sad state of affairs...but that is the truth of it. Don't
> believe me....look to see what other subjects David Kilpatrick has
> contributed to. There are one or more persons who post under a variety of
> names who only come on to spread demonstrably false information about the
> merits of Sigma. So much of what they write is provably wrong that all

that
> they have to say has to be questioned.....or ignored.

I think we are all grown ups, and can keep our own counsel on who we shall
ignore.

no, and yes...."

Simon Smith

I have a Sigma 12 - 24 lens which I use on both a Canon 300D and on a
10D. Sharp and good contrast, is my conclusion. It's an excellent lens
and I'm very pleased with the results.

I wouldn't normally choose Sigma lenses because I haven't previously
liked either their optics or the build quality. But there is no
equivalent Canon AF fit lens. So I tried it before buying.

I basically use it only at 12mm - which is roughly equivalent to 19mm
at 35mm. If you want to shoot wide angle with a 1.6x sensor then this
is a great lens. Unless I was just lucky and got a good one.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Simon Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a Sigma 12 - 24 lens which I use on both a Canon 300D and on

> 10D. Sharp and good contrast, is my conclusion. It's an excellent

lens
> and I'm very pleased with the results.
>
> I wouldn't normally choose Sigma lenses because I haven't previously
> liked either their optics or the build quality. But there is no
> equivalent Canon AF fit lens. So I tried it before buying.
>
> I basically use it only at 12mm - which is roughly equivalent to

19mm
> at 35mm. If you want to shoot wide angle with a 1.6x sensor then

this
> is a great lens. Unless I was just lucky and got a good one.

The Sigma 50mm EX is a very sharp lens.

David Kilpatrick

Simon Smith wrote:
> I have a Sigma 12 - 24 lens which I use on both a Canon 300D and on a
> 10D. Sharp and good contrast, is my conclusion. It's an excellent lens
> and I'm very pleased with the results.
>
> I wouldn't normally choose Sigma lenses because I haven't previously
> liked either their optics or the build quality. But there is no
> equivalent Canon AF fit lens. So I tried it before buying.
>
> I basically use it only at 12mm - which is roughly equivalent to 19mm
> at 35mm. If you want to shoot wide angle with a 1.6x sensor then this
> is a great lens. Unless I was just lucky and got a good one.

I'm using one at the moment and it is quite simply a very good lens by
any standards. All tests I've seen so far have agreed on that as well,
no matter what country/level of magazine.

David

Steven M. Scharf

"Pepys" <[removethis](E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ccnnrl$1m4r$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news6BHc.11138$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Note: Any posters having anything good to say about any Sigma product

> should
> > be ignored. A sad state of affairs...but that is the truth of it. Don't
> > believe me....look to see what other subjects David Kilpatrick has
> > contributed to. There are one or more persons who post under a variety

of
> > names who only come on to spread demonstrably false information about

the
> > merits of Sigma. So much of what they write is provably wrong that all

> that
> > they have to say has to be questioned.....or ignored.
> >

> What a ridiculous statement. This chap Kilpatrick posts well researched

and
> professional views based on objective findings.

This is correct. But you have people like Steve Gionovella (posting under a
plethora of different user names) and Guido, who spread so much incorrect
information about Sigma, that it may make some people think that there is
something very wrong with every Sigma product. This is unfair to Sigma.

Sigma has some decent lenses in their EX line. In the entry level line you
may find something with decent optics, but as the original poster pointed
out in his quote, "a bit clunky."

Sigma has no control over people like SG and Guido, and their damage is
minimal. Where Sigma is guilty is in their new math that made the SD9 a 3.4
megapixel camera and the SD10 a 10 megapixel camera. Everyone, except SG and
his aliases, agree that the SD10 is a 3.4 megapixel camera.

The reason that I created http://sigmasd10.com, was to set the record
straight.