Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A Kodak comment about a Sigma lens

A Kodak comment about a Sigma lens

Crownfield

Dennis Bradley wrote:

> "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> news:40ef06b0$0$16936$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >
> > "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
> > message news:ccmvrk$ugu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Have not noticed any bad spots on any of my lenses. I am using mine on

> > > Fuji S2 Pro.
> > > I have noticed that the Sigma 15-30 on the S2 Pro gives more accurate
> > > exposure on the centre weighted setting than the matrix metering

> setting.
> >

> > Phew, at last somebody who is speaking without a troll to drop or an axe

> > grind!
> >
> > How do you find the S2? Can it handle FAT 32 partitions? I understand that
> > the S3 cannot.
> >
> > Compared to say the Nikon D70, how would you rate it?
> >
> > --
> > Yours
> >
> > Zebedee
> >

> Not sure about what you mean by the handling of FAT32 or not. I use an
> IBM Microdrive (hope the trolls don't pick up on that one) and it seems to
> be using FAT, not FAT32. Is that what you were meaning? I have heard
> though that the S2 did not operate with some variants/models of the
> Microdrive.
>
> I am afraid I only have a passing interest in the S3, and have absolutely no
> knowledge of the Nikon D70 other than what I have heard in the various
> photography groups. From what I have heard the D70 sounds quite good. It
> has less pixels than the S2, but that is not always the deciding factor.
>
> I am very pleased with the S2. I managed to see one at a pre-release
> roadshow in the Edinburgh branch of Calumet, and again a few weeks later in
> the Glasgow Calumet store. They were very helpful and allowed me to stick
> my own card in it and go take some pictures. I was very surprised, since
> they even suggested I step outside their front door to take some more. I
> was really surprised since they did not bother to attach a ball and chain to
> my ankle to stop me dashing off with it I immediately put my name on
> their list and must have got one of the first few sold in Scotland. It has
> performed faultlessly and my only minor niggle is its appetite for CR123a
> batteries. I go through a pair of them every 500 shots or so.

the trick seems to not use them unless you want the flash.
I also am very pleased with my S2.

> The S3
> seems to have addressed that shortcoming. In the two years (almost) that I
> have had the S2 I have taken more than 11,000 exposures.
>
> My choice of the S2 was that it was probably the first digital SLR with
> decent pixelcount that I could afford. I previously had a point and shoot
> Fuji 6800 which I still have and was very impressed by, so that made me feel
> that I would be happy with another Fuji. If I had to replace the S2, I
> would be tempted to get the S3, but by all accounts there are a few very
> good DSLRs around now, and I don't know if my brand loyalty would be strong
> enough to exclude the Nikon models. I had Canon film SLR equipment and had
> to change lenses when I got the S2, but I don't think I would switch to
> another lens mount without a very good reason. Of course, I learnt long
> ago never to say never
>
> Dennis

Pepys

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news6BHc.11138$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Note: Any posters having anything good to say about any Sigma product

should
> be ignored. A sad state of affairs...but that is the truth of it. Don't
> believe me....look to see what other subjects David Kilpatrick has
> contributed to. There are one or more persons who post under a variety of
> names who only come on to spread demonstrably false information about the
> merits of Sigma. So much of what they write is provably wrong that all

that
> they have to say has to be questioned.....or ignored.

What a ridiculous statement. This chap Kilpatrick posts well researched and
professional views based on objective findings.

Sam

Richard Cockburn

"Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
news:ccmqkt$gsq$(E-Mail Removed):

> I will second that !

Thirded.

--
"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

-Richard Cockburn

Georgette Preddy

"Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<40ef0051$0$19391$(E-Mail Removed) k>...
> "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:ccmqkt$gsq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On the Sigma issue, I really do despair of the posters who have opinions,
> > but state them as if they were god given facts.
> > I have both Sigma and Nikon lenses, and I am very happy with both the

> Sigma
> > 15-30 and 70-200 f.2.8 that I have. The Nikon 28-105 is also excellent in
> > my *OPINION*

> Ok. My opinion:
>
> I once owned a Sigma F8 Mirror lens. It was pretty good although atmospheric
> distortion seemed amplified.
>
> I have seen sample pictures taken with a sigma 15-30 that have been sharp
> except for one patch on the bottom right. That could have been a dicky
> Foveon sensor but I rather suspect the lens.

Care to point out the wavy parts?

http://www.pbase.com/image/24323811/original

The corners are amazing!!

Georgette Preddy

"Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ccn2fh$12b$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> It has less pixels than the S2, but that is not always the deciding factor.

http://www.pbase.com/image/23420444

Hardly any difference in sensor count.

Stephen Leslie

Hi Dennis,

Reagding your battery issue with the S2, I'm sure I read a few years ago in
AP that there was a way of converting the Nikon F80 battery grip for it
rather than buying the quite dear proper S2 one. I'll see if I can dig it
out over the next few days and get back to you.

Cheers,
Stephen
> [...]

> have had the S2 I have taken more than 11,000 exposures.
>
> My choice of the S2 was that it was probably the first digital SLR with
> decent pixelcount that I could afford. I previously had a point and

shoot
> Fuji 6800 which I still have and was very impressed by, so that made me

feel
> that I would be happy with another Fuji. If I had to replace the S2, I
> would be tempted to get the S3, but by all accounts there are a few very
> good DSLRs around now, and I don't know if my brand loyalty would be

strong
> enough to exclude the Nikon models. I had Canon film SLR equipment and

had
> to change lenses when I got the S2, but I don't think I would switch to
> another lens mount without a very good reason. Of course, I learnt long

Dennis Bradley

"Stephen Leslie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news1LHc.25571$I%(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Reagding your battery issue with the S2, I'm sure I read a few years ago

in
> AP that there was a way of converting the Nikon F80 battery grip for it
> rather than buying the quite dear proper S2 one. I'll see if I can dig it
> out over the next few days and get back to you.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen

Thanks Stephen.

I had heard about that and I have a Canadian friend who has tried it out and
considers it adds too much bulk to his already quite chunky camera. Based
on that I decided to stick to buying the batteries in bulk and keeping a
spare set in the camera bag.

I had been looking at rechargeable CR123as but the only company supplying
them at that time did not reply to my enquiry about why they charged
reasonable postage for delivery to addresses in England, but charged more
than 20 for delivery to Scottish mainland addresses.

Regards
Dennis

bagal

Hi G

what would be interesting to see is an application of the interpolation
algorithm to raw data taken from a Foveon sensor. All the data are there
but the interesting point would be to see what the resultant image looks
like.

Then, of course, compare it to the image based on a full one to one
correspondence of the data

It may have very interesting results

das B

"Georgette Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Dennis Bradley" <dennis@no_spam_please_dbradley.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

message news:<ccn2fh$12b$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > It has less pixels than the S2, but that is not always the deciding

factor.

> http://www.pbase.com/image/23420444
>
> Hardly any difference in sensor count.

David Kilpatrick

Dennis Bradley wrote:

> I had been looking at rechargeable CR123as but the only company supplying
> them at that time did not reply to my enquiry about why they charged
> reasonable postage for delivery to addresses in England, but charged more
> than 20 for delivery to Scottish mainland addresses.

I've had the same problem even with deliveries from England - we are
approximately 12 miles over the Border and actually rather faster to get
to than many parts of England, but there are some courier firms who
double their delivery price. Fortunately Royal Mail continues to make no
distinction, so whether anyone is on Orkney or in the middle of London,
the price is the same. Difference is that the Orkney mail probably takes
less time to get there!

David

Dennis Bradley

"David Kilpatrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ccojn5$pof$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dennis Bradley wrote:
>

> > I had been looking at rechargeable CR123as but the only company

supplying
> > them at that time did not reply to my enquiry about why they charged
> > reasonable postage for delivery to addresses in England, but charged

more
> > than 20 for delivery to Scottish mainland addresses.
> >

> I've had the same problem even with deliveries from England - we are
> approximately 12 miles over the Border and actually rather faster to get
> to than many parts of England, but there are some courier firms who
> double their delivery price. Fortunately Royal Mail continues to make no
> distinction, so whether anyone is on Orkney or in the middle of London,
> the price is the same. Difference is that the Orkney mail probably takes
> less time to get there!
>
> David

I have only come across the one company that somehow thought Scotland was in
the south seas. O how I wish that it were, sometimes.
Generally I have found internet buying and courier services, either Royal
Mail or others to be very efficient. The only one that at first caused
concern was 7DayShop, but once I realised that there is always a delay from
there, then it was easy to make allowances and order early.

Dennis