Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connecting Third Party Wireless Device to Livebox using Windows XP

Connecting Third Party Wireless Device to Livebox using Windows XP

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhY3k=?=

I'm trying to do the above using instructions from my ISP. The instructions
are asking me to turn on my third party wireless device by switching my
wireless switch to on. The thing is I don't know where my wireless switch
is. I have a Sony Viao with a Linksys wireless card? Can anyone help.

Thanks

Tracy

Ryan Younger

If you tell us what specific make and model of Vaio you have we can tell you
this.

Vaio's often have a button with a wireless antenna icon on, which can be
pressed to enable the internal adapter, it is often on the front of the
machine or above the keyboard. Also you should check that your wireless
adapter is not disabled, if it is, you can right-click it and select Enable
(in Windows XP click Start | Control Panel | Network Connections).

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"Tracy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to do the above using instructions from my ISP. The
> instructions
> are asking me to turn on my third party wireless device by switching my
> wireless switch to on. The thing is I don't know where my wireless switch
> is. I have a Sony Viao with a Linksys wireless card? Can anyone help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tracy

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhY3k=?=

Hiya Ryan

My Vaio is PCG-K2 Series. I don't seem to be able to find anything that
looks like a wireless antenna button though. Also I have the following
networks:

1394 Connection - Firewalled 1394 Net Adapter #2
Local Area Connection
Wireless Network Connection #3 - Firewalled 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter
Wireless Network Connection #2 - Firewalled Wireless-B Notebook adapter

So, I don't know which one to right-click and enable through Windows XP

I also have another problem if I may be so cheeky as to ask:

I have recently connected a mobile phone (bluetooth enabled but using a USB
cable) to my PC, now the pc is recognising this other wireless connection as
a threat and it is unsecure so now I have to enter a WEP key to connect to
the internet. Is there a way around this so that I don't have to enter this
quite lengthy code?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tracy