Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Neophyte wireless question Wired and Wireless bridging

Reply
Thread Tools

Neophyte wireless question Wired and Wireless bridging

 
 
Paolo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2005
I have a small SOHO wired network with a Linksys router (BEFSR41), uplinked
to a Netgear Switch (GS10, and on ot the wired computers. I have recently
aquired a portable computer that is 802.11b compliant, and my daughter has a
portable too that has wireless capability. I would like to keep my old
wired network, and build up a new wireless one. I have been looking into
wirelessAccess Points, such as Linksys WAP54G. I was planning to just hook
it into a spare Ethernet plug.

-Question 1 - Will this WAP serve more than one wireless computer?

-Question 2 - The Router and the Hub are in the basement, not an ideal
location for a wireless device, it seems from reading here on the net. Any
recommendations on a topology for this layout?

-Question 3 - My portable (IBM Thinkpad T42) is only 802.11b compliant, but
I do plan on adding more wireless computers and devices to the network,
which may be 802.11g compliant in the next 6 or 7 months. Are the 802.11g
NAP devices' downward compatibility to 802.11b good enough to go directly
with a 802.11g device? (I plan on experimenting a bit with wireless
devices.)

Any recommendations in general on equipment?

TIA,

Paolo



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2005


In news:Vshkf.162$(E-Mail Removed),
Paolo <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I have a small SOHO wired network with a Linksys router (BEFSR41),
> uplinked to a Netgear Switch (GS10, and on ot the wired computers. I
> have recently aquired a portable computer that is 802.11b
> compliant, and my daughter has a portable too that has wireless
> capability. I would like to keep my old wired network, and build up
> a new wireless one. I have been looking into wirelessAccess Points,
> such as Linksys WAP54G. I was planning to just hook it into a spare
> Ethernet plug.
> -Question 1 - Will this WAP serve more than one wireless computer?


Yes.

>
> -Question 2 - The Router and the Hub are in the basement, not an
> ideal location for a wireless device, it seems from reading here on
> the net. Any recommendations on a topology for this layout?


If you have Ethernet cabling upstairs, you can connect the WAP there, rather
than plugging it directly into the router.
>
> -Question 3 - My portable (IBM Thinkpad T42) is only 802.11b
> compliant, but I do plan on adding more wireless computers and
> devices to the network, which may be 802.11g compliant in the next 6
> or 7 months. Are the 802.11g NAP devices' downward compatibility to
> 802.11b good enough to go directly with a 802.11g device? (I plan
> on experimenting a bit with wireless devices.)


Yes, but as far as I know, if you have a G-capable WAP and even one of the
clients connects as B, everyone else will slow down to 11Mbps max.
>
> Any recommendations in general on equipment?


Make sure it's got some capacity for encryption - WEP is barely better than
nothing, but is still better than nothing. WPA is better. But your cards
have to support whatever you choose.

>
> TIA,
>
> Paolo



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless can't see Wired, Wired Can't Access Wireless UFGrayMatter Wireless Networking 0 08-14-2006 01:26 AM
Wireless NIC & Wired NIC Bridging Johnatthon Wireless Networking 1 05-02-2006 06:31 PM
Bridging two wired networks via wireless router and NIC =?Utf-8?B?bnVsbF9wb2ludGVyX3Vz?= Wireless Networking 6 02-27-2006 04:10 PM
Neophyte needs help with wireless internet feed to cable tv system David Ellis Cisco 1 03-01-2005 10:58 PM
wireless can't access wired. But Wired can access wireless =?Utf-8?B?ZGZhdG92aWM=?= Wireless Networking 5 02-05-2005 08:07 AM



Advertisments