Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > nikon d70, raw files, and photoshop elements

nikon d70, raw files, and photoshop elements

larrylook

I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF files
taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in to
do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to work
on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?

Roger Halstead

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:55:38 -0400, "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF files
>taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in to
>do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to work
>on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?

No real down side compared to working with any other file in PE as far
as I can see.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

MikeS

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF

files
> taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in

> do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to

work
> on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?

Larry,
The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation before
you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff etc.

Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about 70 to buy Nikon
raw program and 500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with some
hardware of about 45 to 70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss leader.

Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which should be
free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save images
on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
loads of memory cards.
That little lot will cost 200 to 300 for portable storage, flash gun say
300, tripod from 40 to 200. Macro lens say 350. Say between 900 and
1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own and
pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of 2000 which of course
will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs

In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
already catered for reactively cheaply.

MikeS

larrylook

"MikeS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bwsHc.1785$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF

> files
> > taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in

> > do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to

> work
> > on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?
> >

> Larry,
> The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation before
> you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff

etc.

> Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about 70 to buy

Nikon
> raw program and 500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with some
> hardware of about 45 to 70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss

leader.

> Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which should

be
> free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save

images
> on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
> loads of memory cards.
> That little lot will cost 200 to 300 for portable storage, flash gun say
> 300, tripod from 40 to 200. Macro lens say 350. Say between 900 and
> 1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own and
> pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of 2000 which of course
> will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs
>
> In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
> already catered for reactively cheaply.
>
> MikeS

Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the files - 2
files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does this
sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
the NEF of the shot available.

Roger Halstead

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:08:33 -0400, "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"MikeS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bwsHc.1785$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I was suprised to see that Photoshop Elements 2.0 opens and edits NEF

>> files
>> > taken with my Nikon D70. I thought one need Photoshop CS with a plug in

>> > do this? Is anyone aware of a downside to using Photoshop Elements to

>> work
>> > on NEF files taken on my D70? Am I missing something?
>> >

>> Larry,
>> The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation before
>> you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff

>etc.
>>
>> Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about 70 to buy

>Nikon
>> raw program and 500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with some
>> hardware of about 45 to 70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss

>leader.
>>
>> Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which should

>be
>> free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save

>images
>> on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
>> loads of memory cards.
>> That little lot will cost 200 to 300 for portable storage, flash gun say
>> 300, tripod from 40 to 200. Macro lens say 350. Say between 900 and
>> 1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own and
>> pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of 2000 which of course
>> will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs
>>
>> In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
>> already catered for reactively cheaply.
>>
>> MikeS

>Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the files - 2
>files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
>print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
>I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does this
>sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
>the NEF of the shot available.

PE does that. You'd have to delete the NEF if you didn't want to keep
it. As PE is going to save the file as a different type it won't
affect the original. Of course you will find that the TIFF is going
to be considerably larger than the NEF.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

larrylook

"Roger Halstead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:08:33 -0400, "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"MikeS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:bwsHc.1785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> files

in

> >> work
> >> >

> >> Larry,
> >> The down side is you can only do a limited amount of manipulation

before

When
> >> you save you have to nominate what format you save in I.E. jpeg or tiff

> >etc.
> >>
> >> Also there is the cost to take into account, it costs about 70 to buy

> >Nikon
> >> raw program and 500 for Photoshop CS. Elements is either free with

some
> >> hardware of about 45 to 70 depending on outlet or if it is a loss

> >leader.
> >>
> >> Before spending money on refinements such as Nikon software which

should
> >be
> >> free or CS. Get a flash gun, tripod, macro lens and something to save

> >images
> >> on, a small portable storage system, which will be cheaper than getting
> >> loads of memory cards.
> >> That little lot will cost 200 to 300 for portable storage, flash gun

say
> >> 300, tripod from 40 to 200. Macro lens say 350. Say between 900

and
> >> 1050. So reckon to be a fully functional say a D70 user, or just own

and
> >> pose, you have to be prepared to spend in excess of 2000 which of

course
> >> will be lot more if you get unnecessary programs
> >>
> >> In conclusion put your money to good use and not on programs which are
> >> already catered for reactively cheaply.
> >>
> >> MikeS

> >Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the

files - 2
> >files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
> >print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
> >I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does

this
> >sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
> >the NEF of the shot available.
> >

> PE does that. You'd have to delete the NEF if you didn't want to keep
> it. As PE is going to save the file as a different type it won't
> affect the original. Of course you will find that the TIFF is going
> to be considerably larger than the NEF.

So I gather you'd recommend I take potentially great shots in RAW rather
than highest JPEG, even if I don't own PS CS or Nikon Capture. I can use PE
(which I own) for now to fix them up and print them. I'll then save the
fixed up photo in TIFF format. Some day I'll buy CS or NC and will use
these for manipulation (on the RAW files). Does that sound like a good
plan?

Also I don't use picture perfect to get the files onto my computer. I just
find the camera drive and cut and paste them into a new folder. Any
downside of this?

Thanks for your help!

> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com

MikeS

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks. How about taking my good pics in NEF. Make copies of the files -

2
> files, one to manipulated and a saved original. Use PE to manipulate and
> print the copies. In the future when I can afford Nikon Capture or PS CS
> I'll have the original in NEF format for even better photos. How does

this
> sound to you? As opposed to taking pics in JPEG and then I'll never have
> the NEF of the shot available.
> Larry,

That's a good idea then you have the equivalent of master negatives that
has all the original information for you to manipulate when you can afford
to get the expensive programs mentioned. In the mean time you are
maximiseing your spending power on priorities, and at the same time you can
still process files in Elements.
MikeS

MikeS

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Snipped the lot saves reading thought stuff we have read before

Larry,
Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have Nikon
Picture Perfect. I do as you do but I dont take the pics from the camera as
that runs the camera battery down. I plug the memeory chip into a card
reading slot on my computer, which is seen as a drive. I copy the pictures
into a new file also save onto CD or DVD straight away.
MikeS

Don F

"MikeS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RxMHc.146$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Larry,
> Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have Nikon
> Picture Perfect. I do as you do but I dont take the pics from the camera

as
> that runs the camera battery down. I plug the memeory chip into a card
> reading slot on my computer, which is seen as a drive. I copy the pictures
> into a new file also save onto CD or DVD straight away.
> MikeS

-----------------
NikonView provides plug-ins for reading NEF files in PS and PS Elements.
I live in the US and Picture Perfect was provided in my kit but Nikon View
is available as a free download.
Without Nikon View, NEF files could not be loaded into PS or PS Elements.
Does Picture Perfect provide the necessary NEF plug-ins?
[OT] Is there any preference to using Nikon View to Picture Perfect?
Don F

larrylook

"Don F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "MikeS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RxMHc.146$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Larry,
> > Thats what I do, here in the Uk, we have Nikon View whereas you have

Nikon
> > Picture Perfect. I do as you do but I dont take the pics from the camera

> as
> > that runs the camera battery down. I plug the memeory chip into a card
> > reading slot on my computer, which is seen as a drive. I copy the

pictures
> > into a new file also save onto CD or DVD straight away.
> > MikeS
> >

> -----------------
> NikonView provides plug-ins for reading NEF files in PS and PS Elements.
> I live in the US and Picture Perfect was provided in my kit but Nikon

View
> is available as a free download.
> Without Nikon View, NEF files could not be loaded into PS or PS

Elements.
> Does Picture Perfect provide the necessary NEF plug-ins?
> [OT] Is there any preference to using Nikon View to Picture Perfect?
> Don F

To my surprise nef files loaded into ps elements with no trouble. I don't
think I did anything at all with plug-ins. I did install picture project
onto my computer, but didn't see anything while intalling it regarding
plug-ins. I was surprised when nef files loaded into elements with no
problem. Anyone else experience this here? As stated about, I am planning
to shoot in nef, edit in elements, save as tiff files. Some day I'll buy PS
CS or Nikon Capture to use the nef files.

BTW the drain on the battery issue isn't a problem for me. I bought the
Digital Concepts battery for $25, and rotate the batteries. See:
http://tinyurl.com/3yagy