Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Looking for SIP account

Looking for SIP account

Dave Saville

Very new here.

Looking at SIP account providers.

Sipgate seem to have a good offering but their rates are a bit high for where I
need to call most. The website says one can call a lot of other providers free.

SipDiscount has very good rates but they do not mention calling other SIP
providers - and you have to register before you can ask them anything

Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".

I am thinking of buying the Sipura SPA-1001 - Could I have a provider on each
line?

I have a "spare" public IP address - I guess that is going to make setting up a
lot easier.

TIA

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Thomas Kenyon

Dave Saville wrote:
> Very new here.
>
> Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
> that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".

This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours thread.
Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill you monthly (although
they charge a 25 sign-up fee).

Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:9MI7g.7123$(E-Mail Removed)
> Dave Saville wrote:
> > Very new here.
> >
> > Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the
> > hardware etc. I take it that they all work on "pay in
> > advance" rather than "pay as you go".
> >

> This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours
> thread. Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill
> you monthly (although they charge a 25 sign-up fee).

Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but where do you call the
most..?

If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free anyway,
regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:9MI7g.7123$(E-Mail Removed)
> Dave Saville wrote:
> > Very new here.
> >
> > Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the
> > hardware etc. I take it that they all work on "pay in
> > advance" rather than "pay as you go".
> >

> This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours
> thread. Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill
> you monthly (although they charge a 25 sign-up fee).

They don't charge a setup fee for the single line residential service.

Ivor

Scope

Dave Saville wrote:
> SipDiscount has very good rates but they do not mention calling other SIP
> providers - and you have to register before you can ask them anything

Ask them anything? I have never heard anybody ever get a reply from
SipDiscount (and the likes).. If you want answer/helps, dont rely on
these people, but try your questions in this group instead. Their prices
are great though.

Dave Saville

On Mon, 8 May 2006 16:01:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

>Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but where do you call the
>most..?
>
>If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free anyway,
>regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

It is not actually where we call the most but the high cost of where we do - My
brother in law is in India - So SipDiscount looks really good at 11p/min.
Absolutely no chance of him using anything other than POTS.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Ivor Jones

"Dave Saville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk
> On Mon, 8 May 2006 16:01:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
>
> > Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but
> > where do you call the most..?
> >
> > If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call
> > is free anyway, regardless of provider. Can you
> > persuade them to get accounts also..?

> It is not actually where we call the most but the high
> cost of where we do - My brother in law is in India - So
> SipDiscount looks really good at 11p/min. Absolutely no
> chance of him using anything other than POTS.

Tell him to get a job in an Indian call centre with an 0800 access number

Ivor

GwG

"Dave Saville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> On Mon, 8 May 2006 16:01:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
>
>>Not wanting to start the aforementioned thread, but where do you call
>>the
>>most..?
>>
>>If the people you call also have SIP accounts, the call is free
>>anyway,
>>regardless of provider. Can you persuade them to get accounts also..?

> It is not actually where we call the most but the high cost of where
> we do - My
> brother in law is in India - So SipDiscount looks really good at
> 11p/min.
> Absolutely no chance of him using anything other than POTS.

Not a SIP account, but if you dial 0871 772 57 57 before the Indian
number, the calls cost 7p per minute via Dialwise
http://www.dialwise.co.uk/rates.php

David Floyd

In message of Mon, 8 May 2006, Thomas Kenyon writes
>Dave Saville wrote:
>> Very new here.
>>
>> Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
>> that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".
>>

>This is bound to start a my-providers-better-than-yours thread.
>Gradwell don't work on Pay in Advance, they bill you monthly (although
>they charge a 25 sign-up fee).

Also try voip.co.uk

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Mon, 08 May 2006 15:39:10 +0100 (BST), "Dave Saville"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any others? - I don't want any who lock you into the hardware etc. I take it
>that they all work on "pay in advance" rather than "pay as you go".

Voiphone.co.uk rates very reasonable and they are RELIABLE unlike one
I could mention but won't .