Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Image Stabilizer... is it worth it?

Canon Image Stabilizer... is it worth it?

^______^

I am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens recently, and I am now deciding
between the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L the IS version and the non-IS version.
Since I never used a IS before, I am just wondering if it is really worth
the extra 1/3 of the price? In what occusions would you usually turn on the
IS mode? Is there a down side of this feature?
I will be using this lens mainly for landscape, natural, and some model
shots. I use 10D.

thank you.

Mark M

"^______^" <^_____^@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens recently, and I am now deciding
> between the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L the IS version and the non-IS

version.
> Since I never used a IS before, I am just wondering if it is really worth
> the extra 1/3 of the price? In what occusions would you usually turn on

the
> IS mode? Is there a down side of this feature?
> I will be using this lens mainly for landscape, natural, and some model
> shots. I use 10D.

It is absolutely worth it.

I have four IS lenses (including the 70-200 2.8 L IS), and will not purchase
another lens at 200mm or above without it. It enables SO MANY more shots
that would otherwise require a tripod or monopod for real sharpness.

**Keep in mind, too, that when mounted on your 10D, the 1.6
cropping/magnification factor (due to it's sensor size being smaller than
35mm film), your camera will be JUST as susceptible to the ill effects of
camera shake as a 320mm lens would be on a standard film body. This means
that IS will become even more critically important.

There have been a number of non-IS owners here over the last few years
mention how they wish they had gone with the IS version...
....If the money isn't stopping you, then you should definitely go with IS.

Finally... The IS on the 70-200 2.8 is the later version, which includes an
excellent panning mode in addition to still subject (mode 1).

-Mark M

Mark Johnson

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have four IS lenses (including the 70-200 2.8 L IS), and will not purchase
>another lens at 200mm or above without it. It enables SO MANY more shots

I would imagine so. That's a bulky set-up you have, not exactly the
camera to use at picnics.

I wonder if it operates anything like a steadycam?

More precisely, have you heard of a rig that could function as a
steadycam for digicams, or even your heavier dSLR rig, but that is not
itself particularly huge, or expensive? I mean any experience, or
running into someone with actual experience with such?

Mark M

"Mark Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have four IS lenses (including the 70-200 2.8 L IS), and will not

purchase
> >another lens at 200mm or above without it. It enables SO MANY more shots

> I would imagine so. That's a bulky set-up you have, not exactly the
> camera to use at picnics.
>
> I wonder if it operates anything like a steadycam?
>
> More precisely, have you heard of a rig that could function as a
> steadycam for digicams, or even your heavier dSLR rig, but that is not
> itself particularly huge, or expensive? I mean any experience, or
> running into someone with actual experience with such?

If you're talking about some sort of external gyro, they are available...but
they are huge, heavy and expesive.

There are several digital point-and-shoots which are equipped with built-in
IS.
See Canon's site.

Richard Ballard

In article <E87Hc.42249$a24.8145@attbi_s03>,
"^______^" <^_____^@hotmail.com> writes:

>I am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens recently, and I am now deciding
>between the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L the IS version and the non-IS version.
>Since I never used a IS before, I am just wondering if it is really worth
>the extra 1/3 of the price? In what occusions would you usually turn on the
>IS mode? Is there a down side of this feature?
>I will be using this lens mainly for landscape, natural, and some model
>shots. I use 10D.

The camcorder image stabilization techniques I am familiar with
occur in digital circuitry -- not optics. This is the first time
I have heard discussion of digital stabilization optics.

General comments, however. I have a circa early 1970's (heavy)
90-230 mm zoom telephoto lens for my 35mm film SLR. Mounted
on the camera body, the body/lens center of gravity is on the
lens barrel, not the body. You hold the combination by the lens --
not surprisingly, exactly at the location of the tripod mount ring
on the lens.

The combination is not extremely heavy and is not shake prone.
By leaning against a wall, I have (at 35mm film equivalent 230 mm
telephoto) taken photos at 1/15th of a second exposure. The results
were acceptable when printed at 5"x7". (I did not print them at
8"x10".)

I have a tripod but I never use it. In low light I lean against walls
or trees. YMMV.

You did not state what camera body you are using (and I do not
have a dSLR spec catalog). Your dSLR's sensor size is smaller
than 35mm film full frame and a 70-200mm zoom telephoto lens
on a dSLR will have greater magnification than my 70-230mm
zoom telephoto on a 35mm film body. IMO a 70mm focal length
on a dSLR (particularly a bottom of the line dSLR) might be too
long for portraiture. In 35mm film photography, 75mm and 90mm
telephoto lenses are considered portraiture lenses.

Can you rent the lens and experiment before you make a purchase
decision?

'Hope that helps.

Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
--
Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

leo

"Richard Ballard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <E87Hc.42249$a24.8145@attbi_s03>,
> "^______^" <^_____^@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >I am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens recently, and I am now

deciding
> >between the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L the IS version and the non-IS

version.
> >Since I never used a IS before, I am just wondering if it is really worth
> >the extra 1/3 of the price? In what occusions would you usually turn on

the
> >IS mode? Is there a down side of this feature?
> >I will be using this lens mainly for landscape, natural, and some model
> >shots. I use 10D.

> The camcorder image stabilization techniques I am familiar with
> occur in digital circuitry -- not optics. This is the first time
> I have heard discussion of digital stabilization optics.
>
> General comments, however. I have a circa early 1970's (heavy)
> 90-230 mm zoom telephoto lens for my 35mm film SLR. Mounted
> on the camera body, the body/lens center of gravity is on the
> lens barrel, not the body. You hold the combination by the lens --
> not surprisingly, exactly at the location of the tripod mount ring
> on the lens.
>
> The combination is not extremely heavy and is not shake prone.
> By leaning against a wall, I have (at 35mm film equivalent 230 mm
> telephoto) taken photos at 1/15th of a second exposure. The results
> were acceptable when printed at 5"x7". (I did not print them at
> 8"x10".)
>
> I have a tripod but I never use it. In low light I lean against walls
> or trees. YMMV.
>
> You did not state what camera body you are using (and I do not
> have a dSLR spec catalog). Your dSLR's sensor size is smaller
> than 35mm film full frame and a 70-200mm zoom telephoto lens
> on a dSLR will have greater magnification than my 70-230mm
> zoom telephoto on a 35mm film body. IMO a 70mm focal length
> on a dSLR (particularly a bottom of the line dSLR) might be too
> long for portraiture. In 35mm film photography, 75mm and 90mm
> telephoto lenses are considered portraiture lenses.
>
> Can you rent the lens and experiment before you make a purchase
> decision?
>
> 'Hope that helps.
>
> Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
> --
> Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
> Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
> Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

BTW, high end Canon and Sony camcorders have _optical_ image stabilizer. If
you are determined you need f/2.8 over f/4, getting the IS version is well
worth the price difference. It's tough to use the lens hand held over 100mm
without increasing the ISO to unbearable level. It's especially useful when
you add a TC.

leo

Ron Hunter

Mark Johnson wrote:

> "Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have four IS lenses (including the 70-200 2.8 L IS), and will not purchase
>>another lens at 200mm or above without it. It enables SO MANY more shots

> I would imagine so. That's a bulky set-up you have, not exactly the
> camera to use at picnics.
>
> I wonder if it operates anything like a steadycam?
>
> More precisely, have you heard of a rig that could function as a
> steadycam for digicams, or even your heavier dSLR rig, but that is not
> itself particularly huge, or expensive? I mean any experience, or
> running into someone with actual experience with such?

If I understand correctly, there are two type of consumer IS systems.
One physically dampens the movement, and the other does this (attempts
to anyway) electronically. The electronic method requires a lot of
processing ability, and the results are a bit 'soft' for my preferences.

nesredep egrob

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 07:58:29 GMT, "^______^" <^_____^@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens recently, and I am now deciding
>between the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L the IS version and the non-IS version.
>Since I never used a IS before, I am just wondering if it is really worth
>the extra 1/3 of the price? In what occusions would you usually turn on the
>IS mode? Is there a down side of this feature?
>I will be using this lens mainly for landscape, natural, and some model
>shots. I use 10D.
>
>thank you.

I consider that my Olympus 2100 IS and the Canon S1 also IS are good enough to
compete with 5mp cameras as you can get a tight frame on a long distance shot
and therefore do not need to do that digitally when editing and naturally that
is hand held - I shall not ever consider a camera without IS. maybe except when
shooting on tripod where it just does not mean anything.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Jim Townsend

^______^ wrote:

> I am planning to buy a telephoto zoom lens recently, and I am now deciding
> between the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L the IS version and the non-IS version.
> Since I never used a IS before, I am just wondering if it is really worth
> the extra 1/3 of the price? In what occusions would you usually turn on the
> IS mode? Is there a down side of this feature?
> I will be using this lens mainly for landscape, natural, and some model
> shots. I use 10D.
>
> thank you.

Generally, the minimum handheld shutter speed for telephoto lenses
is determined by finding the reciprocal of the focal length. (Of
course this is very general). Some people are much steadier than
others.

In other words, at 200mm you wouldn't want to shoot slower
than 1/200.. Doing so will probably result in blur.

IS gives you a couple of stops. (Again, generally not precisely).
So instead of being limited to 1/200, you should be able to go down to
1/180 or 1/90.

Is IS worth it ? ABSOLUTELY