Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Air Travel - Tripods allowed or not?

Air Travel - Tripods allowed or not?

Doug Payne

Don Bruder wrote:

> What I can't figure out is why it's an issue at all??? For "ultra jumbo"
> or non-collapsible tripods that can't be secured anywhere in the cabin
> without blocking traffic or interfering with operations, it only makes
> sense to restrict them to the luggage/cargo hold, but what kind of
> security risk does the typical collapsible camera tripod present???

If I were a violent person, which I'm not, I suspect I could do considerable
damage with my Gitzo carbon fibre tripod and attached Acratech head. It makes a
pretty formidable club, as a large dog found out recently. I don't mind packing
it in a checked-in bag.

Tomas Daniska

> > > That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a

weapon
> > > more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a

weapon........

> > With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod

you
> > can get three at once.
> >

> Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

wondering how one can mention logic next to the security dumbs...

--

deejay

Bill Tuthill

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
>>> can get three at once.

>> Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

> It fits with the logic that any of them are a security risk, anyway!

LOL.

Did you see Fahrenheit 911? There's a scene where Michael Moore (or
someone) is allowed to board a plane with carry-on luggage containing
20 books of matches and 5 butane lighters (or some ridiculous number).
Yet fingernail clippers are confiscated.

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

Doug Payne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> What I can't figure out is why it's an issue at all??? For "ultra

jumbo"
>> or non-collapsible tripods that can't be secured anywhere in the

cabin
>> without blocking traffic or interfering with operations, it only

makes
>> sense to restrict them to the luggage/cargo hold, but what kind of
>> security risk does the typical collapsible camera tripod present???

> If I were a violent person, which I'm not, I suspect I could do
> considerable damage with my Gitzo carbon fibre tripod and attached
> Acratech head.

You don't need to be a violent person to come up with these scenarios.
Just basic common sense. The real issue is why some inspectors allow
them though.
Bruce Schneier call's it "security theater". See:

http://www.schneier.com/essay-038.html

Also see:

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000636.html

for a typical story of mind-boggling stupidity at these checkpoints.
I witness stuff like this _every time_ I go through these things.
People enduring this crap would be openly laughing at it all if it
wasn't for those rules that make laughing illegal.

Thomas E. Witte

> It fits with the logic that any of them are a security risk, anyway!

You'd be surprised at the amount of damage you can do to someone with
a monopod. It is essentially a staff, (when open) or a night stick
(when closed). Especially mine with the wrist strap attached.

We were taught how to use them for self defense during a seminar on
what else, photographers self defense.

Although the best will always be your camera as it's basically a mace
and chain. Nothing like a 5 pound hunk of metal being slung across
someones brow to make them back off.

Thomas E. Witte

GO Photography
http://www.gophotography.net
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=42

[KS]

Thomas E. Witte wrote:

> You'd be surprised at the amount of damage you can do to someone with
> a monopod. It is essentially a staff, (when open) or a night stick
> (when closed). Especially mine with the wrist strap attached.

With the wrist strap attached...its almost a police batton

Paul Friday

>> With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
>> can get three at once.
>>

>Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

This fits with the logic that searches me for nail files and knitting
needles at check-in, yet sells me a glass bottle of spirits as soon as I
pass through 'security'.
--
----------------------------
Paul Friday

Alan Clifford

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, William Graham wrote:

WG> "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
WG> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
WG> > You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
WG> > Tripods go with the luggage.
WG>
WG> That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
WG> more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

I saw the X-ray screen of my monopod as we went into the Guildhall
(London, England) yesterday. I should have though that a long stick thing
in a bag was unusual but they didn't find it strange. I wish I'd asked
them what they thought it was.

I've never had trouble on aeroplanes with the monopod in my hand luggage
but have been stopped for a mini, bendy tripod because they couldn't
identify it on the x-ray screen. So maybe monopods are not unusual or
maybe the watchers think they are something else - umbrellas maybe?

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
There is also a password autoresponder but, unless this a very
old message, a "tuna" will swim right through. )

William Graham

"Alan Clifford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ifford.ac...
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, William Graham wrote:
>

> WG> "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> WG> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WG> > You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
> WG> > Tripods go with the luggage.
> WG>
> WG> That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a

weapon
> WG> more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a

weapon........

> I saw the X-ray screen of my monopod as we went into the Guildhall
> (London, England) yesterday. I should have though that a long stick thing
> in a bag was unusual but they didn't find it strange. I wish I'd asked
> them what they thought it was.

They probably thought it was a sword.....We should mark them with the word,
"Excalibre" in lead letters......

Bandicoot

"Paul Friday" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod

you
> >> can get three at once.
> >>

> >Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)
> >

> This fits with the logic that searches me for nail files and knitting
> needles at check-in, yet sells me a glass bottle of spirits as soon as I
> pass through 'security'.

They'll sell you a spray bottle of perfume too - which is nearly as good as
pepper spray...

Peter