Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Air Travel - Tripods allowed or not?

Air Travel - Tripods allowed or not?

[KS]

Tomgo1 wrote:
> Depends on the AIRPORT
> West Palm beach Fla YES
> Fort Lauderdale Fla NO
>
> go figure? of course that was last time who knows for the next trip.
> Tomgo1

Wow,
With all kind of experiences enlisted here, I think I will keep it in
the checked baggage completely cushioned.

Asking the airline doesn't really help much. It happened to me one time
that the airline said it was OK, but the airport security did allow it.
Luckily, I had a friend drop me off and left the tripod with him to pick
it up next time.

Thanks for all your input.

[KS]

Doug Payne wrote:
>> Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
>> inflight baggage?

> In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the
> airline. It's dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass
> security in Toronto with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years.
> I went so far as to go to the security gate before checking in and show
> them the tripod. The answer was "put it in your checked-in baggage, you
> can't carry it on".

That just confirms it. I do frequent Toronto and Montreal. So checked-in
baggage it is.

Thanks.

Don Bruder

In article <dBgHc.46780$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"[KS]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Doug Payne wrote:
> >> Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
> >> inflight baggage?

> > In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the
> > airline. It's dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass
> > security in Toronto with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years.
> > I went so far as to go to the security gate before checking in and show
> > them the tripod. The answer was "put it in your checked-in baggage, you
> > can't carry it on".
> >

> That just confirms it. I do frequent Toronto and Montreal. So checked-in
> baggage it is.

What I can't figure out is why it's an issue at all??? For "ultra jumbo"
or non-collapsible tripods that can't be secured anywhere in the cabin
without blocking traffic or interfering with operations, it only makes
sense to restrict them to the luggage/cargo hold, but what kind of
security risk does the typical collapsible camera tripod present???

What's next? To board a plane, you have to be naked, shaved bald, and
empty handed?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The terrorists aren't
"winning". Nor are they "on the run". Quite the contrary: They've
already achieved total victory. Idiotic rules banning a camera tripod as
a security risk are all the proof of that statement that's needed.

--
Don Bruder - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.

Matt Silberstein

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:48:17 GMT, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <dBgHc.46780$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>> > In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the
>> > airline. It's dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass
>> > security in Toronto with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years.
>> > I went so far as to go to the security gate before checking in and show
>> > them the tripod. The answer was "put it in your checked-in baggage, you
>> > can't carry it on".
>> >

>> That just confirms it. I do frequent Toronto and Montreal. So checked-in
>> baggage it is.

>What I can't figure out is why it's an issue at all??? For "ultra jumbo"
>or non-collapsible tripods that can't be secured anywhere in the cabin
>without blocking traffic or interfering with operations, it only makes
>sense to restrict them to the luggage/cargo hold, but what kind of
>security risk does the typical collapsible camera tripod present???

None, security risk is not really the issue.

Let me give a slightly different example. There was a free Lyle Lovett
concert on the 4th. It was in battery park and we brought a picnic. We
were not allowed in since we had *forks*. Now remember, this is not an
airplane, where I can dismantle the window with my fork, this is a
bloody city park. Somehow I was a threat with this nasty medium sized
metal fork. So on the 4th of July, to celebrate our freedom and
independence, we sat across the street. Perhaps a threat to passers
by, but the people in the park were safe from our nasty fork. (I won't
even mention my 3" rounded bread knife, your heart may not take the
threat.)

Risk reduction is a goal, but not the major one. Or, rather, the risk
is not hijacking and stuff, the risk is that they will get accused of
doing nothing. A system which was just as effective that did not
discomfort people would be worse. By making our lives difficult they
can claim they are trying hard. And isn't that one of Shrub's claims:
that doing something, even the bloody stupidly wrong thing, is better
than questioning the situation?

>What's next? To board a plane, you have to be naked, shaved bald, and
>empty handed?
>
>I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The terrorists aren't
>"winning". Nor are they "on the run". Quite the contrary: They've
>already achieved total victory. Idiotic rules banning a camera tripod as
>a security risk are all the proof of that statement that's needed.

Not total, but they are winning.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do in order to understand.

Frank Pittel

I had no problem taking a tripod with me in one of my carry on bags in May.

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm [KS] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Hi,
: After the strict rules for not allowing specific things in the inflight
: baggage, I am in double mind to take my Manfrotto tripod in my
: in-flight baggage or store it in my check-in baggage.

: Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
: inflight baggage? And you know the Manfrotto ones are not small to go
: undetected.

: Thanks.

-------------------
(E-Mail Removed)

William Graham

"Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
> Tripods go with the luggage.

That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

Mike

"William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
> > Tripods go with the luggage.

> That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
> more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
can get three at once.

Bill Hilton

>From: Don Bruder (E-Mail Removed)
>
>What's next? To board a plane, you have to be naked, shaved bald, and
>empty handed?

I'll go thru the security line wearing only a thong, but the day "naked and
shaved bald" becomes the norm I'm taking the bus

William Graham

news:MQkHc.9945$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
> > > Tripods go with the luggage.

> > That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
> > more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........
> >

> With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
> can get three at once.

Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

Don Bruder

In article <y9lHc.32166$JR4.1058@attbi_s54>,
"William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> news:MQkHc.9945$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> >
> > "William Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
> > > more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........
> > >

> > With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
> > can get three at once.
> >

> Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

It fits with the logic that any of them are a security risk, anyway!

--
Don Bruder - (E-Mail Removed) - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.