Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > keep losing wireless connection

keep losing wireless connection

MikeChristie

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and three laptops that all
use the built-in Windows XP wireless tool. I experience a loss of
connection with some frequency. This seems to happen more (although I
may be imagining) when the room temperature is colder. Also, the
laptops are frequently unable find the Linksys signal. I will
experience these things even when I am in the same room with the
router. This is particularly annoying on my work laptop, as I have to
reconnect to the VPN every time this happens.

Is there a wireless setting I should change somewhere? Or could I
avoid this problem by buying a router with a stronger signal? Any
suggestions as to brand and model?

Thanks much,

Mike Christie
mike [at] csquared [dot] com

Kevin

The problem could be the Windows wireless application tool. You should be
using the Intel (or whatever) wireless app to configure and control your
wireless connectivity.

"MikeChristie" <mike@csquared[nospam].com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and three laptops that all
> use the built-in Windows XP wireless tool. I experience a loss of
> connection with some frequency. This seems to happen more (although I
> may be imagining) when the room temperature is colder. Also, the
> laptops are frequently unable find the Linksys signal. I will
> experience these things even when I am in the same room with the
> router. This is particularly annoying on my work laptop, as I have to
> reconnect to the VPN every time this happens.
>
> Is there a wireless setting I should change somewhere? Or could I
> avoid this problem by buying a router with a stronger signal? Any
> suggestions as to brand and model?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Mike Christie
> mike [at] csquared [dot] com

__spc__

"MikeChristie" <mike@csquared[nospam].com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and three laptops that all
> use the built-in Windows XP wireless tool. I experience a loss of
> connection with some frequency. This seems to happen more (although I
> may be imagining) when the room temperature is colder. Also, the
> laptops are frequently unable find the Linksys signal. I will
> experience these things even when I am in the same room with the
> router. This is particularly annoying on my work laptop, as I have to
> reconnect to the VPN every time this happens.
>
> Is there a wireless setting I should change somewhere? Or could I
> avoid this problem by buying a router with a stronger signal? Any
> suggestions as to brand and model?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Mike Christie
> mike [at] csquared [dot] com

Sounds like an interference issue. Change channel on the router; say, from
1 to 6, or 6 to 11 - it may be that other WAPs are broadcasting on the same
frequency (and their SSIDs may not be broadcast so netstumbler won't show
them).

If there's a reconnect issue, you may want to Google for winsockXPfix.exe

Ryan Younger

The following article may be of help:

Wireless Connection Troubleshooting in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Available at:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"MikeChristie" <mike@csquared[nospam].com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, and three laptops that all
> use the built-in Windows XP wireless tool. I experience a loss of
> connection with some frequency. This seems to happen more (although I
> may be imagining) when the room temperature is colder. Also, the
> laptops are frequently unable find the Linksys signal. I will
> experience these things even when I am in the same room with the
> router. This is particularly annoying on my work laptop, as I have to
> reconnect to the VPN every time this happens.
>
> Is there a wireless setting I should change somewhere? Or could I
> avoid this problem by buying a router with a stronger signal? Any
> suggestions as to brand and model?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Mike Christie
> mike [at] csquared [dot] com

Bob

i had same problem i stopped using win xp wireless tool and used the intel 1
instead
news:m%ckf.12095$(E-Mail Removed)...