Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT: tax on import goods?

OT: tax on import goods?

Chef!

I know this is OT, but my query kinda relates to photography. I am looking
to buy some photographic equipment from the US and want to know if the UK
customs will slap on their VAT tax when it hits these shores?, as I've never
purchased anything from the US before.

Thanks!

chris French

In message <cjJGc.546$(E-Mail Removed)>, Chef!
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I know this is OT, but my query kinda relates to photography. I am looking
>to buy some photographic equipment from the US and want to know if the UK
>customs will slap on their VAT tax when it hits these shores?, as I've never
>purchased anything from the US before.

Do you mean via mailorder, or when you are in the US?

I think technically the same rules apply if you buy the goods in person,
but of course it is harder for HMC&E to tell.

For mailorder, you pay any specific duty applicable to the items - for
digital cameras this is 0% I think,

You then pay VAT (at standard 17.5%) on the cost of the goods+duty.

This tax/duty is normally collected for HMC&E by the courier, or the
post office when they deliver, and they usually charge a fee for this as
well.

See:

<http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/shopping.htm>
<http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/common-internet-goods.pdf>

Sometimes I have had things delivered and the duty/tax has not been
collected by the PO, but it isn't something to rely on, and I suspect is
less likely for more expensive purchases.
--
Chris French

Chef!

Thank you Chris.

"chris French" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <cjJGc.546$(E-Mail Removed)>, Chef!
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >I know this is OT, but my query kinda relates to photography. I am

looking
> >to buy some photographic equipment from the US and want to know if the UK
> >customs will slap on their VAT tax when it hits these shores?, as I've

never
> >purchased anything from the US before.

> Do you mean via mailorder, or when you are in the US?
>
> I think technically the same rules apply if you buy the goods in person,
> but of course it is harder for HMC&E to tell.
>
> For mailorder, you pay any specific duty applicable to the items - for
> digital cameras this is 0% I think,
>
> You then pay VAT (at standard 17.5%) on the cost of the goods+duty.
>
> This tax/duty is normally collected for HMC&E by the courier, or the
> post office when they deliver, and they usually charge a fee for this as
> well.
>
> See:
>
> <http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/shopping.htm>
> <http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/common-internet-goods.pdf>
>
> Sometimes I have had things delivered and the duty/tax has not been
> collected by the PO, but it isn't something to rely on, and I suspect is
> less likely for more expensive purchases.
> --
> Chris French

import tax for lens Jim Digital Photography 1 12-27-2005 08:35 AM
import tax mewthree Computer Support 2 03-02-2005 06:12 PM
Canon 300D - Buying from the US (how much for import tax?) Savas Parastatidis Digital Photography 18 02-07-2004 03:13 PM
Re: certification expenses - tax deductible ? Alan Davis MCSD 1 07-08-2003 03:39 PM
Re: certification expenses - tax deductible ? Danut MCSD 0 07-08-2003 02:23 PM

Advertisments