Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla pieces versus Mozilla Suite

Mozilla pieces versus Mozilla Suite

Jedi Fans

On 02/12/05 10:27, Charani scribbled:

NVU is the continuation of the Composer <http://nvu.com/>

--
Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
The Force Is With Me, SUSE Linux 10.0, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 RC2,

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:54:55 -0600, in message
*<37_jf.12$(E-Mail Removed)>, Larry Hazel wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
> > Larry Hazel wrote:

> >> Also, you must bring up TB to check for email or leave TB running all
> >> the time. I wish Firefox would periodically check for new email.

> > How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

> It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
> Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
> any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

There are stand-alone notifiers which will do this.

Use one of these. Then you won't even need Firefox running.

gwtc

Ralph Fox wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:54:55 -0600, in message
> <37_jf.12$(E-Mail Removed)>, Larry Hazel wrote:

>>gwtc wrote:

>>>How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

>>It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
>>Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there is
>>any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

> There are stand-alone notifiers which will do this.
>
> Use one of these. Then you won't even need Firefox running.

how about recommending some and telling us where to get them. Thanks

Larry Hazel

gwtc wrote:
> Larry Hazel wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> How can FF check for mail when its a browser only.

>> It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
>> Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there
>> is any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

> if thats all it takes, then why don't you develop an extension for it?

I try to stay above C level

Leonidas Jones

gwtc wrote:
> Ralph Fox wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:54:55 -0600, in message
>> <37_jf.12$(E-Mail Removed)>, Larry Hazel wrote:

>>> It would take a bit of extra code, but shouldn't be too difficult.
>>> Especially if TB is the mail client. It just needs to check if there
>>> is any. It wouldn't need to process the mail in any way.

>> There are stand-alone notifiers which will do this.
>> Use one of these. Then you won't even need Firefox running.
>>

> how about recommending some and telling us where to get them. Thanks

gwtc, you surely have heard me recommend Poptray before.

www.poptray.org

It sits in the systray and checks mail on selected accounts at a user
specified interval. It has a white/black list feature, and can also run
custom filters to delete spam from the server before it even hits the
inbox of your mail ap.

I can't imagine email without it. The only drawback is its Windows only.
I would love to learn of Mac and Linux equivalents.

Lee

Leonidas Jones

gwtc wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> how about recommending some and telling us where to get them. Thanks

>> gwtc, you surely have heard me recommend Poptray before.
>>
>> www.poptray.org
>>
>> It sits in the systray and checks mail on selected accounts at a user
>> specified interval. It has a white/black list feature, and can also
>> run custom filters to delete spam from the server before it even hits
>> the inbox of your mail ap.
>>
>> I can't imagine email without it. The only drawback is its Windows
>> only. I would love to learn of Mac and Linux equivalents.
>>
>> Lee

> Yes, thanks Lee, but I wanted Fox to tell me about his.

I am interested in that as well, particularly any that work on OSX or
Linux.

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>Ralph Fox wrote:

>>>There are stand-alone notifiers which will do this.
>>>Use one of these. Then you won't even need Firefox running.
>>>

>>how about recommending some and telling us where to get them. Thanks

> gwtc, you surely have heard me recommend Poptray before.
>
> www.poptray.org
>
> It sits in the systray and checks mail on selected accounts at a user
> specified interval. It has a white/black list feature, and can also run
> custom filters to delete spam from the server before it even hits the
> inbox of your mail ap.
>
> I can't imagine email without it. The only drawback is its Windows only.
> I would love to learn of Mac and Linux equivalents.
>
> Lee

Yes, thanks Lee, but I wanted Fox to tell me about his.

Doug Chadduck

OP here

Thanks for the discussion. Picked up a couple tips.
It doesn't look like I'm missing anything I want by leaving things
piecemeal. Only thing I could think of would be the ability to open FF
from Thunderbird. Can hit "read mail" when I'm in FF, and that opens
Thunderbird, but can only get to FF, from Thunderbird, if Ihave a URL in
an e-mail etc. Else I have to open FF from scratch. Maybe 1.85 extra
seconds of energy. Dang. Guess some things just have to be worked for.

Grin Thanks

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> gwtc wrote:

>>>gwtc, you surely have heard me recommend Poptray before.
>>>
>>>www.poptray.org
>>>
>>>It sits in the systray and checks mail on selected accounts at a user
>>>specified interval. It has a white/black list feature, and can also
>>>run custom filters to delete spam from the server before it even hits
>>>the inbox of your mail ap.
>>>
>>>I can't imagine email without it. The only drawback is its Windows
>>>only. I would love to learn of Mac and Linux equivalents.
>>>
>>>Lee

>>Yes, thanks Lee, but I wanted Fox to tell me about his.

> I am interested in that as well, particularly any that work on OSX or
> Linux.
>
> Lee

try: http://www.tucows.com/preview/304955,
http://www.tucows.com/preview/203799,
http://www.tucows.com/preview/217533,
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...all-1_5_3.html,

Charani

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:40:11 +0000, Jedi Fans strolled in and
announced:

> NVU is the continuation of the Composer <http://nvu.com/>

Many thanks for that )