Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > 1.5 update experience

1.5 update experience

xModem

Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first, but I
have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing themes and
extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available, and
updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow previously
never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.

Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
the development team.

John

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:25:48 -0500, xModem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
>remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first, but I
>have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
>
> Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
>existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing themes and
>extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available, and
>updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow previously
>never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.
>
> Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
>the development team.

Totally agree with the above. However,
>my existing themes and
>extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available

was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I went back
to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was exacrly
as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)

Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?

Thanks!

John <><

Leonidas Jones

John <>< wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:25:48 -0500, xModem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
>> remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first, but I
>> have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>> Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
>> existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing themes and
>> extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available, and
>> updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow previously
>> never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.
>>
>> Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
>> the development team.

> Totally agree with the above. However,
>> my existing themes and
>> extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available

> was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
> What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I went back
> to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was exacrly
> as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)
>
> Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?
>
> Thanks!
>

> John <><

Updating of extensions is the responsibility of the author of the
extension. Many tested the beta and RC releases and updsted their
extensions, some did not.

Here is what Cookie Culler's author has to say:

http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/

Should be soon. Cookie Culler 1.2.0 works when bumped with Nightly
Tester Tools, so try 1.3.0.

I'm not familiar with "X".

Lee

John

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:21:08 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm not familiar with "X".
>
>Lee

Thanks for the first one, Lee!

When I go to Tools .. Extensions, one of them shows a padlock, and the text
reads

x 0.6 3
Adds a paranoia button to the toolbar

Basically, it clears "Privacy information"

John <><

Leonidas Jones

John <>< wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:21:08 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm not familiar with "X".
>>
>> Lee

> Thanks for the first one, Lee!
>
> When I go to Tools .. Extensions, one of them shows a padlock, and the text
> reads
>
> x 0.6 3
> Adds a paranoia button to the toolbar
>
> Basically, it clears "Privacy information"
>
> John <><

Its probably unneeded then, since 1.5 has a clear private data function
built it.

Tools>>Clear Private Data

I haven't used it yet, since I really don't have much to clear, but give
it a try.

Lee

Ken Kline

I am not of the computer generation so I goofed when I uninstalled 1.0.7
before installing 1.5 by removing the entire C:\Programs\Mozilla folder as
well as cleaning out the registry, so I lost my theme, extensions, plug-ins,
everything. In fact, Firefox would not open. So I went to "scanreg/restore"
in Win98 SE and reinstalled a registry from a few days earlier. That got
Firefox working again, although I had to reinstall all my extensions, some
of which, the genuinally great extensions, would not install because they
were for earlier versions of Firefox. They ought not to release a new final
version of Firefox, like 1.5 until compatible versions of the best
extensions are available. In a way, it was not terrible to start from
scratch because I had a few too many extensions + bookmarks. Now my Firefox
1.5 is a lot more managable. Firefox just keeps getting better!!
"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E_tjf.109847$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John <>< wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:25:48 -0500, xModem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
> >> remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first,

but I
> >> have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
> >>
> >> Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
> >> existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing

themes and
> >> extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not

available, and
> >> updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow

previously
> >> never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.
> >>
> >> Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off

> >> the development team.

> > Totally agree with the above. However,
> >> my existing themes and
> >> extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available

> > was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
> > What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I

went back
> > to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was

exacrly
> > as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)
> >
> > Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > John <><

> Updating of extensions is the responsibility of the author of the
> extension. Many tested the beta and RC releases and updsted their
> extensions, some did not.
>
> Here is what Cookie Culler's author has to say:
>
> http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/
>
> Should be soon. Cookie Culler 1.2.0 works when bumped with Nightly
> Tester Tools, so try 1.3.0.
>
> I'm not familiar with "X".
>
> Lee

gwtc

Ken Kline wrote:
> I am not of the computer generation so I goofed when I uninstalled 1.0.7
> before installing 1.5 by removing the entire C:\Programs\Mozilla folder as
> well as cleaning out the registry, so I lost my theme, extensions, plug-ins,
> everything. In fact, Firefox would not open. So I went to "scanreg/restore"
> in Win98 SE and reinstalled a registry from a few days earlier. That got
> Firefox working again, although I had to reinstall all my extensions, some
> of which, the genuinally great extensions, would not install because they
> were for earlier versions of Firefox. They ought not to release a new final
> version of Firefox, like 1.5 until compatible versions of the best
> extensions are available. In a way, it was not terrible to start from
> scratch because I had a few too many extensions + bookmarks.

No, the developers/authors of extensions wait until the final release
is out. This way they can make sure they create a compatible
extension that works with the final release. Furthermore, during the
alpha, beta, and release canidate stages, there could be bugs that may
affect the extension and coding could change during the final stages
that authors are not aware of. Besides, these developers/authors
don't know whats going to be in the final stage until it comes out.
The people are end users who want more out of a program. They don't
have to make these extensions just for you. They do it for
themselves. If they share it to the world, then thats a bonus for us.

Now my Firefox
> 1.5 is a lot more managable. Firefox just keeps getting better!!
> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:E_tjf.109847$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>John <>< wrote:

> but I

> themes and

> available, and

> previously

>>>Totally agree with the above. However,

>>>was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
>>>What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I

> went back
>
>>>to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was

> exacrly
>
>>>as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)
>>>
>>>Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>

>>>John <><

>>Updating of extensions is the responsibility of the author of the
>>extension. Many tested the beta and RC releases and updsted their
>>extensions, some did not.
>>
>>Here is what Cookie Culler's author has to say:
>>
>>http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/
>>
>>Should be soon. Cookie Culler 1.2.0 works when bumped with Nightly
>>Tester Tools, so try 1.3.0.
>>
>>I'm not familiar with "X".
>>
>>Lee

Leonidas Jones

Ken Kline wrote:
> I am not of the computer generation so I goofed when I uninstalled 1.0.7
> before installing 1.5 by removing the entire C:\Programs\Mozilla folder as
> well as cleaning out the registry, so I lost my theme, extensions, plug-ins,
> everything. In fact, Firefox would not open. So I went to "scanreg/restore"
> in Win98 SE and reinstalled a registry from a few days earlier. That got
> Firefox working again, although I had to reinstall all my extensions, some
> of which, the genuinally great extensions, would not install because they
> were for earlier versions of Firefox. They ought not to release a new final
> version of Firefox, like 1.5 until compatible versions of the best
> extensions are available. In a way, it was not terrible to start from
> scratch because I had a few too many extensions + bookmarks. Now my Firefox
> 1.5 is a lot more managable. Firefox just keeps getting better!!
> "Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:E_tjf.109847$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John <>< wrote:

> but I

> themes and

> available, and

> previously

>>> Totally agree with the above. However,
>>> was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
>>> What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I

> went back
>>> to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was

> exacrly
>>> as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)
>>>
>>> Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>>> John <><

>> Updating of extensions is the responsibility of the author of the
>> extension. Many tested the beta and RC releases and updsted their
>> extensions, some did not.
>>
>> Here is what Cookie Culler's author has to say:
>>
>> http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/
>>
>> Should be soon. Cookie Culler 1.2.0 works when bumped with Nightly
>> Tester Tools, so try 1.3.0.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with "X".
>>
>> Lee

Extensions are 3rd party additions to the application. It is not the
responsibility of the application developers to wait for extension
updates, rather, it is the responsibility of the extension writers to
test their extensions in the testing builds to make sure the extensions
work, and update them as needed.

Mozilla provides nightly testing builds. They published beta one and
two versions, and three release candidates for testing purposes. If
extensions writers do not test and update their extensions when given
such an opportunity, how is it the developers fault?

Most extensions are written by people who develop them for their own
use. People get busy and can't always maintain them. There are
literally hundreds of them. Your vital, must have, extension could
easily be one I've never even heard of or wanted, and vice versa.

If the developers were to wait for everyones vital extensions to be
updated, there would never be an update, and we would still be using
Phoenix 0.2, my first installed version of the browser currently known
as Firefox.

Lee

xModem wrote:
> Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
> remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first, but I
> have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
>
> Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
> existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing themes and
> extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available, and
> updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow previously
> never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.
>
> Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
> the development team.

I also dared to install 1.5 w.o removing 1.0.x and all seems fine.
Kudos to the development team. They seem to have gotten it right this time.

Demosthenes

In article <0P9kf.230$(E-Mail Removed)>
Z <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> xModem wrote:
> > Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing

1.0.7. I
> > remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old

version first, but I
> > have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
> >
> > Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my

non-standard
> > existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my

existing themes and
> > extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were

not available, and
> > updating those that were. It even found some themes that

somehow previously
> > never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon

installation.

> > Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My

hat's off to
> > the development team.

> I also dared to install 1.5 w.o removing 1.0.x and all seems

fine.
> Kudos to the development team. They seem to have gotten it

right this time.

I ran into one problem - my old setup had web software
installation disabled (I turned it on only when I was
deliberately installing something, usually RoboForm).

FireFox 1.5 doesn't allow you to turn software installation off
or on, but it DOES carry the setting forward.

That meant I couldn't install anything in FireFox 1.5 until I
found an about: config tweak on usenent.

Everything else seems to work, though.