Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus E1 with OM lenses

Olympus E1 with OM lenses

sci fi

Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
still thinking of the E1. Thanks.

Bert Hyman

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (sci fi) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
> still thinking of the E1.

Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
will be an adapter.

Have you seen anything about that?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)

Roland Karlsson

sci fi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
> still thinking of the E1. Thanks.

The E1 uses the 4/3 mount. It has nothing to do
with the OM cameras. It is meant to be a universal
mount for a new set of cameras with a shorter
distance from mount to sensor. The mount is not even
meant to be Olympus specific.

For this mount it is very possible to make adapters
for most lenses, just because of the shorter distance.

/Roland

Roland Karlsson

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> The E1 uses the 4/3 mount. It has nothing to do
> with the OM cameras. It is meant to be a universal
> mount for a new set of cameras with a shorter
> distance from mount to sensor. The mount is not even
> meant to be Olympus specific.
>
> For this mount it is very possible to make adapters
> for most lenses, just because of the shorter distance.

Just to clearify. There is an OM adapter, so you can use
OM lenses. And if you are an Olympus freak that wants to
use Olympus gear only, this has some relevance.

For the rest of us, OM lenses have no more or no less
significance for an E1 camera than any other brand.

/Roland

EdO

Check the board at dpreview
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022 . Numerous
instances of OM lenses with adapter being used on the E1.Do a search.

Ed

sci fi wrote:
> Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses.

Tom Scales

At least in the US, Olympus America provides an OM Mount adapter for the E1
when you register the camera. For free!

Tom
"EdO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check the board at dpreview
> http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022 . Numerous
> instances of OM lenses with adapter being used on the E1.Do a search.
>
> Ed
>
> sci fi wrote:
> > Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses.

David Dyer-Bennet

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> The E1 uses the 4/3 mount. It has nothing to do
>> with the OM cameras. It is meant to be a universal
>> mount for a new set of cameras with a shorter
>> distance from mount to sensor. The mount is not even
>> meant to be Olympus specific.
>>
>> For this mount it is very possible to make adapters
>> for most lenses, just because of the shorter distance.

> Just to clearify. There is an OM adapter, so you can use
> OM lenses. And if you are an Olympus freak that wants to
> use Olympus gear only, this has some relevance.
>
> For the rest of us, OM lenses have no more or no less
> significance for an E1 camera than any other brand.

Well...what other brands can you buy just now? I do understand the
plan/theory, and approve it cautiously (it'll depend on how it's
implemented really, like most plans).

Steven Wandy

> Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
> suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
> will be an adapter.

Olympus sent registered owners who requested the adapter one. I got one and
have been using an 50 MM Macro 3.5 lens with it. Nice results.

DonB

Do the pre-autofocus zuiko lenses fit?
DonB
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 01:16:31 GMT, "Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
>> suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
>> will be an adapter.

>Olympus sent registered owners who requested the adapter one. I got one and
>have been using an 50 MM Macro 3.5 lens with it. Nice results.

Tom Scales

Yes, in fact I don't think the AF Zuikos do.

Stop down metering though.

Tom
news:(E-Mail Removed)...