Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Portable Storage Device Recommendations

Portable Storage Device Recommendations

Andrew Morris

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....

Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....

has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
another brand to recommend?

Cheers,

Andrew

Frank ess

Andrew Morris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able
> to copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
>
> Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
>
> has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share,
> or another brand to recommend?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

These write to CD, read DVD, battery or ac convertor operated:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/RDS/RDS.HTM

Review of the same item with a different name:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

I've had one for a few weeks. It works. My only wishes are: it should be
a little smaller and lighter; should fit in the very nice bag (supplied)
without removing the external battery. Barring that, no complaints. I
got mine from Addonics, two days turnaround from online order to front
doorstep. Right at $300 with an extra battery.

;o\)-max-

"Andrew Morris"
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
> copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
>
> Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
>
> has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
> another brand to recommend?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

I love mine, I think it is one of the cheapest out there
and it does the job - don't waste money on fancy no
use extra features.. When a battery driven portable
storage device with dvd burner comes out, I will
probably get that, I've tried the CD version it works,
but they don't hold enough images if you are shooting
RAW, you'll be logging too many CD's on a trip. ;o)-max-

Robertwgross

Andrew wrote:
>I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
>copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
>Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
>http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
>has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
>another brand to recommend?

Vosonics had their original product, the VP2030, and then they shifted to a
later product, the VP2060. They dumped the VP2030 units without any hard disk
drive inside, so the empty VP2030 was being sold cheaply. I bought an empty one
and a laptop-style hard disk drive for a total of $140, and it works good.
Vosonics products seem to show up with different brand labels on them.

---Bob Gross---

;o\)-max-

"Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andrew wrote:
> >I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
> >copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
> >Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
> >http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
> >has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
> >another brand to recommend?

> Vosonics had their original product, the VP2030, and then they shifted to a
> later product, the VP2060. They dumped the VP2030 units without any hard disk
> drive inside, so the empty VP2030 was being sold cheaply. I bought an empty one
> and a laptop-style hard disk drive for a total of $140, and it works good.
> Vosonics products seem to show up with different brand labels on them.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

The VP2030 is with USB 1,1 - transferring files can be very slow,
I would spend a few $ more for the 2060, they sell without harddisc
too, if you prefer that.. ;o)-max-

bagal

I posted this to another thread earlier today x 2

I hope it helps

<snipped>

hmmm here am I sat at the computer thngy tuned into r.p.d and my newest
digital photo mag is coincidently open at "DynaMO 640 Photo"

Does it fit the bill? What is the bill?

OK - try www.fel.fujitsu.com 640 MB disks - it looks battery operated

will it work? I dunno?

Does all of this make sense?

das B

"Andrew Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40e011ec$0$25462$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
> copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
>
> Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
>
> has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
> another brand to recommend?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

Tom Scales

";o)-max-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K2ZDc.19747$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Robertwgross" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Andrew wrote:
> > >I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able

> > >copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
> > >Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
> > >http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
> > >has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share,

or
> > >another brand to recommend?

> > Vosonics had their original product, the VP2030, and then they shifted

to a
> > later product, the VP2060. They dumped the VP2030 units without any hard

disk
> > drive inside, so the empty VP2030 was being sold cheaply. I bought an

empty one
> > and a laptop-style hard disk drive for a total of $140, and it works

good.
> > Vosonics products seem to show up with different brand labels on them.
> >
> > ---Bob Gross---

> The VP2030 is with USB 1,1 - transferring files can be very slow,
> I would spend a few $ more for the 2060, they sell without harddisc
> too, if you prefer that.. ;o)-max-

Except the VP2060 is NOT USB2. It is USB2-compatible. I was SHOCKED when
mine performed barely better than USB1.1 speeds and they finally admitted it
wasn't HISPEED USB2.

Tom

Michael Meissner

"Andrew Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently in the market for a Portable Storage Device, to be able to
> copy photos from CF Flash to disk, whilst on holidays....
>
> Currently looking at the Vosonic, like at
> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2060.html....
>
> has anyone first hand experience of such a device they wish to share, or
> another brand to recommend?

I have the 2060 (aka x-drive II), and unfortunately it copies from the media
card to the disk at about 1/2 the speed of other units, including the Image
Bank I had before. Also, the battery isn't the longest lasting.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org