Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Micro/Macro Photography

Micro/Macro Photography

TravisMLC

I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
are key.

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to record some of this stuff, either
as a movie file or in still frames.

On the same topic, what digital cameras for taking macro shots of my
work would people recommend. I've been impressed with Nikon 5400s. I
have a D100 with a Nikkor Macro 105 lens that's great, but I'd like
something smaller that is more convenient to use for quick pics.

Any ideas or leads would be appreciated.

TravisMLC

Joseph Meehan

TravisMLC wrote:

> On the same topic, what digital cameras for taking macro shots of my
> work would people recommend. I've been impressed with Nikon 5400s. I
> have a D100 with a Nikkor Macro 105 lens that's great, but I'd like
> something smaller that is more convenient to use for quick pics.
>
> Any ideas or leads would be appreciated.
>
> TravisMLC

I don't think you are going to find anything that is going to do a
really good job without a dedicated macro lens like the Nikkor you listed.
I believe you are going to be limited to dSLRs for that.

Many digital non-SLRs have a macro mode that will allow fair images of
close work.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

David J Taylor

"TravisMLC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
> engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
> like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
> LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
> something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
> be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
> are key.

Many people have used the Nikon 990 for similar applications. You might
want to ask your question here:

Cheers,
David

RSD99

"TravisMLC" posted:
"...
I would
like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
are key.
...."

Contact the manufacturer of your microscope system (Nikon, Olympus, Leitz, etcetera). They
probably already have all of the equipment, attachment(s), and accessories to do that as
standard catalog items. [I know that Olympus did as far back as the mid 1980s]

schuetzen - RKBA!

TravisMLC wrote:

>I would
>like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
>LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave.

there is a "toy" microscope on the market which the leading US expert on
blackpowder uses to determine content, etc. he makes pictures, etc, it feeds to
just about any PC as a USB peripheral, etc. it may be too micro for your work
and I am not sure that it could be used at the same time you are cutting.

but, it is an alternative.
also, I do a lot of MACRO with my 300D, with tube extenders, and the very
excellent Canon macro lenses. the proverbial grain of rice filling the
viewscreen as it were.

fwiw
--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

Grant Robertson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
> engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
> like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
> LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
> something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
> be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
> are key.

Check out any current astronomy magazine. They are full of ad's for
eyepiece mounted digital cameras.

Ray Fischer

TravisMLC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a unique application that I'd like some advice about. I'm an
>engraver who uses a binocular microscope while engraving. I would
>like to mount a camera to the microscope that could be attached to an
>LCD screen so I can teach others how to engrave. I'm thinking of
>something like a spy camera or a security camera because it needs to
>be small and generate a continuous feed. Color and high resolution
>are key.

There are many microscopes available that have a mount for a
video camera. Shop around. It's standard hardware.

>Ultimately, I'd love to be able to record some of this stuff, either
>as a movie file or in still frames.

Or on a VCR?

--
Ray Fischer